Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Beware Of Howells Sheetmetal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64ONEOFF, Mar 18, 2014.

1. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

:(This might get deleted, But worth a try. This company tried to burn me for $1845. After 2 weeks of no responses, no return calls or busy tones. I called from a diffrent # and they picked up. I asked if it shipped, they said no. I asked if I was credited for the parts. They said not entill it ships. I called my Bank,and IT WAS BILLED. So now I'm dealing with Fraud...I just want fellow builders to be aware of this JOKE OF A COMPANY. And if you recommend any other place for Model A sheetmetal. I am sick to my stomach over this. And dont want anyone else to have to deal with this.

Baumi likes this.
  2. I've never had a problem with them. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  3. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Call their state Attorney General and file a claim on them.

4. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

If you paid with your credit card and you didn't get what you paid for, you can petition the credit card company for the full amount and most of them time get a full credit back on your card. I have had to do that a couple of times over the years and always win if its a clear case of fraud! Good luck!

PS: I had them make a custom truck lid gutter for my 3w around 10 years ago and after waiting 2 months for it, I finally got it and what a piece of shit it was! I never ordered anything from them again!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

5. Nothing new there is a new thread about these guys about once a year. I never understand ordering stuff without researching a company in this day and age. A quick google search and you will find that the entire first page of links is complaints about these guys. It sucks having to chase guys down but in this day and age a little research goes a long way. Hope it works out for you!!

6. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

I am in the Process with the Credit Card Co. Now. My project is on complete hold til this is resolved. Any recomandations of other sheetmetal companies for model A quality parts?
    Thanks fellas Jeff

7. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I just called Snyders, They shipped the next day.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yea Neither did I if I saw them at a swap meet.... if you order anything you're gonna get either A) screwed or B) a Gimped part!

There are bunches of threads on here about them.. 99% bad!

9. I ordered a visor from them a few years ago. It was the biggest pos I ever saw when it arrived. I called them told them I was gonna return it they said no problem they'd refund me. After calling about every other day for close to three months they finally refunded it. I'll never order nothing from those assholes again.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. I guess its hit and miss with them. I have ordered several things from them with no problems at all. But then, I am a really lucky guy.,.

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I've never had an issue with them. Bought tons of patch panels from them. I call and ask if they have it all in stock/make sure I order the right stuff before I place the order.

12. kb cookout

kb cookout

Call Bratton's they sell in New Model A parts and are in Maryland

later kb

13. dan31

dan31

Snyders or Mac for model a stuff,never had a problem with either one .The credit card thing should work out.

14. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Thanks Fellas, really apprieciate it...

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

16. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

hmm I've ordered from them multiple times and only had a problem with a package being lost by fedex once. they sent a new one no questions asked

17. Jeff I am not sure what you need but Direct Sheet metal in El Cajon ca. is a good source and also Brookville is also another good source.
    Good Luck
    Fuzzy

18. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Doesn't matter where your getting your model A panels from .. Snyders, macs,.... Howells supplies them. So your actually getting a Howells sheet
    Metal part.

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I ordered lower patch panels for my T years ago with no problem and the pieces were nice. Things can change over time though.

20. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Yeah,but these companies give tracking #'s and return calls. I have never delt with a company that doesnt return call,emails,or supply any info on a order for 2 weeks. Then have to call from another # random times to talk to someone. Just to find out it never shipped..... Better Business Burea did give them a F. I looked it up. Not a good company anymore,if it ever was in the first place. Terrible experience.

21. txturbo

txturbo

I've never had a problem with them, but I go by thier shop and pick the stuff up. Its a small operation and I'm sure they are always bogged down with commercial orders. They arent much on retail.

22. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I do agree with you 100% about the customer service issues. They have their bad times. I live just minutes from them and a very good friend of mine works in the metal shop making panels. About 80% of their business is supplying other companies with products and the rest dealing with one single order here and there. Maybe the office loses track and needs some help. I was defending the product they produce, as stated by others that their panels suck. Sorry about your poor customer service with them. It's usually gonna be a hit and miss most of the time with them.

23. Don't do any homework and are shocked at the outcome? Howells has been covered in several detailed posts on the HAMB, I followed the recommendations (ordered on ebay) and got what I ordered

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  24. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Ive never had problems with them in the past either. Customer service is a big pet pieve of mine as well. I believe if you look hard enough you will find neg. and pos, reviews on just about every vendor out there.

25. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds

I ordered on Ebay and still got the wrong part!

26. TV

TV

I can tell ya I bought a deck lid complete for our 27 Bonneville race car and it was warped so bad we canned it. We had Mike Kilger build us one from scratch. Howells parts are junk.--TV

27. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

64, you can go on-line to the Texas AG web page and file a complaint. You can print out your form for your records but I would also print out a copy and send to Howell's. In addition, I would file a complaint with the BBB and get a refund through your credit card company. My $.02.

28. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Well, after all the bull@$#%, I got my money back. Now 4 weeks later and have to start from scratch,and no progress. Thats what burns me up the most...

29. But you did get a refund..glad to hear it. HRP

30. anteek49

anteek49

bought several times;never a problem.