Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tie rod end tapered reamer ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panheadguy, Nov 20, 2006.

1. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Anyone know the taper in degrees or in thousandths per inch? Or a J&L number?
    If none of the above; where can I get one?
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving to All!
    PanheadGuy

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

I believe it's 7degrees and Speedway carries them.

3. 1-1/2" per foot

4. Wesley

Wesley

Check with some of the stock car racing suppliers, they usually have them for ball joints and tie rods. Places like Coleman, D&M, Howe, Port City, Stock Car Products(SCP), and Lefthander.

5. The tapers above are correct. speedway carries them.. So does mcmaster. note that they are fairly expensive!

I'd suggest combing ebay. That's where i got mine. I believe it's a greenlee or some other industrial brand and only cost me 15 bucks.

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yep, seven degrees. Expensive !! Check with your local machinists one may do it for you for way less than the cost of the reamer. After I bought mine I was in about 85 bucks... Now I know why its called a reamer.

7. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yep... 1.5" per foot or 7* tapered reamer

i got mine from a guy on ebay... lil cheaper than speedway and decent service

search "tie rod reamer #5952" . . . dealers name is xkut

8. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

Got mine from ebay too, $15.75 with shipping, guys id is tool_garage.

9. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Thanks for all the replys. I'm going to watch on Ebay. I need to make some bones hangers a bit different than can be bought and I prefer to do it all myself rather than go to a machine shop
    Later,
    PanheadGuy

10. Vergil

Vergil

Panheadguy if you would like to borrow one you are welcome to use mine, you might as well get some use out of it also. Let me know if this works for you. I live in Calif but I will pay shipping to you and you pay shipping back.

Vergil

11. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

If you are going to use it in a drill press, run it slow, and feed it very carefully or it will screw itself in and you will have two reamers. Anybody need a half a reamer?

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i have always gone by the "twice the feed and half the speed" when reaming vs drilling

13. Paul2748

Paul2748

I have a reamer I bought from Speedway. Used to do the lower ball joint in my 54. I will sell it if you want it. 25.oo plus shipping. email me - sometimes I forget to check pms.

14. striper

striper

I made some tapered bungs to mount my radius rods to my frame (big truck tie rod ends). The first pair I made were beautiful, yep 7*. Shit, that's 3.5* per side.

The second set were better. Anyone need a set of 14* tapered female bungs?

Pete

15. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

It's 7 degrees....get one from a moldmaker/tool and diemaker..and don't try using it in a drill press...better yet, get a good bottle of booze for Xmas and have the tool and die guy do it in a milling machine..a lot stronger set-up than you can possibly do in a drill press...

16. Wesley

Wesley

Drill Press? Milling Machine? I have always done mine free hand with a drill and the piece (usually a spindle) in a vise. I had no idea that it was so high tech. LOL.

17. Berky

Berky

I put the reamer in a drill press and the spindle in a vice. We just turned the press by hand and that was all we needed. If you have a good sharp reamer you will have no problem doing it by hand. Just make sure it is straight.

18. tomslik

tomslik

i bought a pair of BJ reamers from an outfit on ebay called XKUT....
    not high quality but no more than i use 'em....
    think i've got 80 bucks in both..

19. gashog

gashog

I have seen several places selling Snap On's #R120 reamer for doing pre 1967 tie rods- MUCH cheaper than Speedway at $21 including shipping! It is 6.52 degrees instead of 7.125 (1 1/2 inch per foot), but that's only one thou difference over the inch or so of interface between the arm and tie rod; you'll never know the difference. Check it out:
    http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/spindles.php

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?store=snapon-store&item_ID=8153&group_ID=946

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2918,27_Ball-Joint-Tapered-Reamers.html

The only draw back I saw was that it is 1/8" to 1/2" which may not be quite big enough to do the job.

20. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

I know this is an old post but I was wandering if anybody has a 7 degree tapered tie rod reamer that I could borrow/rent? Have three holes I need to use it on, can't justify spending a $100+ for a new one to do three holes.
    If you have one e-mail me. [email protected]

Thanks
    Joe

21. You can get away with a Unibit and a carbide burr. The unibit will get close to the right taper but leave it a little small then take a cone shaped burr and sneak up on the final fit. Crude but if you take your time it will fit excellent.

22. i won't borrow my reamer , but you can stop over to my place and we will do them no charge...just buy me lunch

23. Eslope T

Eslope T

Is the 7deg a standard for all automotive, or just Ford?

I have used old idler arms to make bungs when I couldn't find a source of a reamer.

24. bct

bct

I use a snap on reamer but was told you can heat your bracket and hammer an old tie rod end into it , creating the desired fit

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

You can find 7 deg. end mills

26. gatz

gatz

Be very careful of using a right-hand cut tapered end-mill if using in a drilled or undersize hole; esp when using a drill press, they can GRAB !!