Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 olds slant pan fluid?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jason Vohland, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Jason Vohland

Jason Vohland
    from Reno, NV

Getting ready to fire up my 324/slant pan combo. Wanted to get some insight on what type of fluid I should fill the trans with.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Back in the day it was built, that trans used "type A", but i'm not sure what that translates to in today's fluids.
    I'll go over to Amsoil site and see what I can find.

3. caton462

caton462

I bought some type A fluid a few years ago at NAPA for a convertible top, think it is still available. I would think Dexron III would be the closest other thing available, but might have some shudder issues with any of the newer stuff that the fluid people claim will work in the place of these, based on some experiences with using Mercon V in the place of Mercon/Dexron III.

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I couldn't find anything on the dealer tech pages over on Amsoil website (I'm a dealer), but like the poster above, I suspect that a Dexron III would work well.
    Best advice I can give other than than Amsoil Synthetic, which I have used to stop shudder issues in subsitution for Dexron III, is to look on the can of name brand fluids till you find one that says compatible with type A. NAPA should have type A.

5. The old ford type f is used as a replacement for the orig gm type a which has not been available for decades. The type a available today is not the same. Mercron is too slippery and is for discs whereas the gm hydros and fords were bands on drums.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I was taught if you had a car with auto trans that used type A and it started slipping you could put type F in it and get by awhiile longer, maybe to trade it in or whatever, but when it went out then, it was completely shot. I agree types A and F have different friction characteristics and many trans built for racing that were originally using A used F after modification.
    Would like to see some more info and documentation on new type A being different than the original.
    Not doubting you, but never heard that one.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I rebuilt the drivetrain in my 55 back in 81 or 82, drove it all across the country going to shows, until 2003. I used whatever was the modern version of Dexron that was available at the time. 140,000 miles on it.

8. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

The "older" gentleman that rebuilt my hydramatic said Dexron III and one bottle of Lube Guard #60902 in the red bottle.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

10. Jason Vohland

Jason Vohland
    from Reno, NV

Thanks. I was a little concerned because the slant pan was not rebuilt, I pulled it out of a running olds bout 10 years ago and let it sit all that time. Now finally ready to put it back to work. So from reading all this info it seems like I should just fill er up with dex 3. Or should I try to get type a from napa.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Having gone through 2 slant pans in my 55 olds, [many years ago] I'd go with the stickier type F if it was mine.
    Oh, and the slant pan in my old 56 Pontiac began to slip going into 3rd gear after installing a hotrod 389 in front of it with dex-3.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I like that. Type F was and still is the Cheap Mans way out of using B&M Trick Shift Fluid. And the old saying "Slip and Slide with Power Glide" it's because of Dextron. GM's attempt at prolonging the life of the clutch's. Ever had a Ford trans shift to hard, then someone advises you to replace your Type F with Dextron.