Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. 58cchevy

58cchevy

This car started out as a custom made model in 1964. After 40 years of saving parts and cars and countless hours building it. How can you put a price on it?

Attached Files:

2. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

I've owned mine twice but have never sold it.

it and I looked like this when I got it from the original owner in 1987.

[​IMG]

in the fall of '88, I got without a job and the car began having steering issues. an elderly gentleman convinced me "the kingpins" were worn out (I can hear you old timers snickering) so I regretfully swapped it for this:

[​IMG]

finally got it back in 1996 after three years of trying to convince the guy who owned it not to yank the 260/2speed out of it to drop in his '51 Ford Vicky.

it's not a rare or low mileage but I have known the car since '84, bought it from the original owner, drove it to high school, did my first adult activities on the front seat (TMI, right!?!) on the front seat the first time I had it.

the second go-around (since '96) it was very often my family sedan, served as my only work car up until 2000, was my back-up work car up until 2010 when a divorce caused it to set for two years.

[​IMG]

now it's my weekend/Friday/car show/Sonic run ride. it's had a slew of new parts installed since returning to the road in 2012. when my daughter returned from Afghanistan in May, I took her for a ride in it and she said, "I'm officially home now, Dad. Thank you."

[​IMG]

it's a family member and a friend. it's not for sale because it caused me sleepless nights when I got rid of it the last time and it has now given me seventeen 1/2 solid years of service plus two of the best years of my life before when I owned it during my junior and senior years of high school.

3. Mo rust

Mo rust

People ask me what my cars are worth and I just say "it doesn't matter because they will never be sold". I've been offered stupid money too for a couple of them.

4. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Oh you just like the thought of your balls in her hand! you sick f!!!!!

5. 1963phil

1963phil

I'd never sell my grandpas 63 C-20. He bought it new, passed it to my dad and now I own it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

6. WordSmith

WordSmith

While I currently have no pictures of it (it is apart and in storage in my garage attic), in the event that we needed to sell off our possessions in order to keep our home, or pay for my wife's medical bills (she has multiple sclerosis) my 1969 Triumph Bonneville will be the last item to go on the block.

The truth is, I am not even sure why. There is simply something about that particular item. I understand some musicians feel an almost mystical connection with a particular instrument out of all those they own, and that is probably the best way to describe it. Maybe...

7. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Hi 442....... Funny you should mention that particular bike and year. I started this thread and I used to own the exact same bike. Of all the bikes I've owned, I'd rather have that one than any other.

8. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

Always had a thing for older Corvettes,amoung all of the other crap that I own. Never work much on them, drove them little, and when times got tough, like going overseas, family issues, or whatever, I would sell the current one, and keep all of the hot rods. Since 1971 until now, I am on my third Corvette and I have had that since 1994. So if you see it on the "for sell" block, you know I am hitting hard times. Good to have it in my back pocket.

9. 2935ford

2935ford

I don't know how many times I've said to myself.....ah, this one's the keeper....then someone offers me the right amount and it's gone....or I see another I want more......just part of this sickness!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  10. WordSmith

WordSmith

And you live in my old stomping ground to boot. We moved to Tennessee in April, 2010 from Frederick, MD.

There is one car I wish I hadn't sold, my 1961 Impala. Roman red with an Ermine white top and stripe. For the longest time I ran a bored and stroked 409 (482) with 2 4-barrels and a roller cam. I made the mistake of putting a big block oil pump in it, and kept starving the mains. Never figured out why until years later. Pulled that and dropped a ZZ3 350. I planned a nice 3 deuce set up, but sold it to build the 442 that is now sitting in my garage.

Another pre-1962 vehicle will once again come my way though, and that one will not leave either. The truth is, as I get things inline, nothing I own is really "for sale" unless it needs to be. Our home, a nice sized rambler, is the perfect combination of seclusion and convenience. My plans for it will bring it more inline with a simpler time, but with just the right touch of modern to make it easy to care for and to live in. We don't have cable or satellite because that stuff just takes up too much time. Just like my bike cannot be bought, that stuff cannot be sold to me. I listen to albums because they sound better, as does most music made when music was about the sound.

Maybe I am crazy, but I (we) are trying to revamp our entire lives around things that cannot be bought from us--things that we plan on keeping and maintaining for a lifetime. Pride in ownership is what they used to call it I think, and I think it is less about showing off and more about owning your stuff and not letting your stuff own you.

Anyway, sorry for the semi-off topic speech. I think it's somewhat relevant anyway. If not, skip it and carry on. :)

Oh, there is one more thing that cannot be bought, though it is not mine yet. The '56 my father and I built. We spent 4 years working on that car together, and I have let my folks know that if he still has it when... I would like it. If he leaves it to me, I will keep it 'till the day I pass.

[​IMG]

11. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Back to the top for the new crowd that's always swelling the ranks with new stories of that special ride that stands out the most![​IMG]

12. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Out of the four piles of junk i owne the 65 Corvair has no price tag .It was my brothers last toy before he passed in 89,i bought it from his wife in Oregon and drug it back to Ohio in 90 ,after years of trial and error i finally got the over heating figured out,see it has a crown conversion and a 396 where there used to be a back seat and the radiator in the back where the engine was,it was a bitch but i won .My son has already said the car wasn't going any were even after i'm gone it's staying in the family,trust me when i say it's fun to drive:D:D