Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does your spouse think about this hobby.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

My gf hates it that I am always buying parts. I know she will like my car when it is done. Wish she got into it more!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. hoodprop

hoodprop

The wife and kids love the hobby. Wife is always with me in the garage.

3. no55mad

no55mad

Thank God she tolerates it - but no household budjeted $ is used for the hobby.

4. perk30

perk30

We met at a fraternity party, I was a frat boy she was a nursing student. Took her for a ride in my '67 Lemans with duals and glasspacks and the next party we went up to my room ...and read Hot Rod Magazine together. My nickname was Piston and her initials were CAM so we knew we were meant for each other. Been married for 38 years. She's into cars , watches all the car shows on TV etc., never gives me grief about buying a car or parts, but we have a deal, I don't have to go to the mall with her and she doesn't have to sit with me for hours at a car cruise unless she wants to.

5. cavman

cavman

Mine has put up with me and the addiction for 43 years. She took her drivers lic test in my 427" 4 spd corvette. Her favorite car to this day is an old Buick Skylark with a factory 4 spd. We spent most of today moving stuff around in the shop so I could have more room to work on the '32 without banging into the other stuff. Nah, she don't mind it. Love her to death.......

6. FityFive

FityFive

My wife knew exactly what she was getting into when we began dating 20 years ago. She showed up at my parent home for the first time and saw an intake manifold, carb, etc.. on the kitchen table as dad and I were in the middle of a major project on his 1955 F100.

Now we are married and she has her own hot rod (1957 Skyliner) which I have working on this winter to get ready for the summer. Every week she asks about my progress. I thinks she is as addicted as I am. I married well!

7. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

My wife wants me to have my hobby. My friends wife however was not to pleased with with his project. Now he is a pretty nice guy and smart too. He would come home grumpy and then head to the garage for an hour coming back happy and attentive. He said a few months later his wife said "if your going to be grumpy go work on your car, I like it when your happy". So his plan worked but a full Saturday still requires him to come home completely pissed off.

8. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

My gal loves the people, but isn't up for spending all day sitting in a lawn chair in the Texas heat. At the race track OR car show.

Built her a race car but that ended after a half dozen passes.

Thinks that a car is not a hot rod without A/C, power accessories and a CD changer.

I provide food, shelter and clothing when applicable.

No spare broads.

No "Better Living Through Chemistry" (drinking social is cool)

I have an even dozen cars in the shop to rub on. Thanks Babe!

9. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

At the house she could care less about what is going on in the shop but mention a road trip and she is in for that so I guess she is fine with it for the last 26 years.

10. spanners

spanners

My wife of 24 years reckons 'the secret to a happy marriage is a shed'.

11. My wife is all good with my car habits.
    House is 800 sq/ft
    Shed is 3800 sq/ft.
    She works.
    I don't (retired)
    She helps out and goes to rodding events with me.
    As long as I go shopping with her and I enjoy that.
    Here she is testing out my new seats in the Lincoln I'm chopping.

[​IMG]

Vicki is the one on the right.
    Left side is shop mutt.

12. We have been together since 1962 from high school. There is no mystery here. I love my wife and would not trade for anything. The car scene has been a part of out life ever since we met. I think at times she would like it to be a lesser part. However, she understands my passion and she is ok with that. I hope!

13. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

It always helps to have a mutual acquaintance who's life is totally out of control (gambling, Strip Clubs, Booze, etc). Then every time your wife brings up the subject of how much money or time you spend on your rod, you just point out that person, and say "things could be much worse". It always works for me. :)

14. jazz1

jazz1

Mine suggested WE get another project to keep US busy. Completed my last hotrod 3 years ago and was not planning on doing another complete vehicle....,I am currently replacing rotten wood in the door frame of a 48 chev sedan delivery..I did not know they used wood in 1948!

[​IMG]

15. I convinced her that it was cheaper than a gun collection.

16. mine wasn't happy ,we got divorced , I got to keep the stuff she didn't want ,tools and old cars ,but got to walk away debt free ,so I really don't care what she thinks

17. Jeepnjay

Jeepnjay

When my wife and I started dating 16 years ago in high school, I would go over to her house and my first stop was the garage with her dad. He always had a model A or T project going on. She began asking if I was coming over to see her or her dad....
    I guess she knew what she was getting into. She loves the old stuff and spends a good deal of time with me in the shop, has always helped out on all our projects. Currently working on "her" 46 Plymouth,which was a gift from her dad for her 30th. She works at the bank so she keeps track of the spending, but knows I'm thrifty so it really never interferes with family or business expenses.

After spending half my life with my best friend, I'll keep her for the other half!

18. rebstew187

rebstew187

If that's for real it's a pretty good story about meeting. lol

19. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

She's a pretty sport about it. But whenever she mentions how much money is spent, I get her distracted with a task. She's out in the garage now, bleeding the brakes on the old truck.

20. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Right now my wife HATES MY 53 ford. said it not cute, (I cant afford cute) after a year or so I Finally got her to ride in it, and I took her to the Goodguys show in Scottsdale. As we pulled in, the slector pin in my floor sifter fell out, (never heard of that happening) had to crawl under it and get it in 3rd, to get home...she hasnt ridden it it since....

21. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I've been with my wife since 74. I've always been playing with old rides and she doesn't complain. Her 30 Sedan is waiting for me to get back to it. She surprised me with a 48 Anglia several years ago that I am collecting parts for. We have done several long road trips in the 34 and will do some in the F 1 with the canned ham camper this summer when we go back to Bonneville. I think she is OK with it.

22. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

When we got married, I had grease under my fingernails and still do today! So she knew going in!
    She LOVES the old car stuff, but she's not really that fond of the drag racing. After 37 years she's still going to the car shows, and to look at cars I'm lookin' to buy, and because she loves me to death, she still goes to the drags quite a lot!
    Many a time, I'd be off racing out of town and she'd call me on Saturday night and say something like "I won Best in Class AND Best of Show today, how's your weekend going?"

23. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

I once broke up with a guy because he said being with me made him feel "emasculated" because I knew more than him about cars. I thought that was kind of crappy.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I refer to my Buick as "the love of my life."

Not married yet, so I'll tell ya how it works out if I get there! Looks like a lot of the guys on here found good ones, so congrats to that! My current boyfriend doesn't see the beauty of '32 Ford...so, that's a pretty big strike. He DID get greasy on the ol '63 Meteor, so that's a step in the right direction.

24. Tudorp

Tudorp

Which spouse? My 1st wife had no interests at all. Always thought I was an idiot dragging home junk. Hince "ex" wife. I knew it was going to work out with my 2nd and last wife. Sometimes it takes twice to get it right. Our very first date:

Picked her up, and driving down the road to get some dinner. I see an old WWII era duece and a half power wagon ambulance in a lot by the road. I think to myself, "Oh lawd, I GOT to check this out.. But.. What will this fine lady think of me then? Maybe I shouldn't. I don't want to blow this.. " A mile or so later, "Ah shat.. I got to check out that old power wagon. She has to take me, or leave me the way I am.. " (Sudden U turn, and pull into the closed lot.) She sits in the car as I start checking out this old Dodge. I end up under it in the back, then drag myself out looking over to my car. I don't see her in my car.. My thought.. "Well.. That's it.. She took off... I guess that was not to be.. " I mossied back to the front of the dodge, hood still up from when I was checking that out. What do I see? My date, ass in the air, head stuck under the hood checking out the old flat head.. She says, "Oh Tony, this thing is really COOL... " I fell in love that afternoon. We married and have been happy married for 18 years now. She supports and loves my cars as much as I do. ;) KEEPER..

25. Been with my girl Anita 10 years now. She loves coming to car shows and swap meets. Her father is a mechanic so she is used to hangin' in the shed. Next car we buy will be hers...late 30s pickup hopefully. [​IMG]

26. afaulk

afaulk

My first wife said "me or that Mercury, one has got to go". Talk about putting me on the spot. I bought her a bus ticket.