Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I saw your truck in the basement, but never saw anybody around it. I took about 100 pictures of it. Really cool truck.

2. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

Beautiful pickup and loved watching the build !

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man it's almost there. One of the carb bowls is leaking bad so after that is fixed I can tweak it a bit more.

Yeah it's a busy weekend, cars to see, people I know from out of town. Don't stay too long in one place. Thanks for the nice words, it's been a long time comin.

Thanks. There are still a few things to do, wire all the lights, the box needs a solid afternoon with some shims, grille shell needs to lean back a bit etc. It's cold as hell here so it hasn't been outside where I could stand back and look at everything. Once we got to Cobo and I could get back 40-50 feet and look it over I was horrified. It's hard to adjust everything in the shop when you can only stand back 10-20 feet.

4. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

I love pickups and yours is killer!! Great job!

5. Keep up the good work, I really enjoy following the story of your truck. Thanks for taking the time to post.

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Hey thanks for taking the time to read it.

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Time to figure out the exhaust on this thing. Scored these vintage glasspacks. They are IMCO's (International Muffler Co.), they are still in business. They are the parent company to Maremount and Cherry Bomb. They look a little rough but it's only a bit of surface rust. They were never used/mounted. I'll clean them and probably paint them maybe gold again, maybe black. Not sure. The main body is 26" long. Not sure how quiet they'll be but they are period like everything else on the truck.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395659988.253189.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395660022.149343.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Good score on the muffs. Curious what the pipe size is?

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

1 7/8" inlet. I'm running 2" rams horn manifolds. Pretty sure I can make a 1 7/8" head pipe work with them. The guy at an exhaust shop I go to all the time custom bends stuff for me. I wouldn't think expanding one end from 1 7/8" to 2", then flaring it for the donut would be a big deal. He's good so I'll let him figure it out.

Aaron Whitelaw likes this.
  10. brady1929

brady1929

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man.

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here are a couple before and after pics of the vintage glass packs I scored. Blasted them and a light coat of self etching green. I think I'm going to paint them gold again.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396130874.213220.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396130894.058587.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396130912.788827.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396130927.213303.jpg

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

say international is that farmall international:D

14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I believe it's IMCO international muffler co. Either way they are cool.

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Just a few new pics. Been driving it now. All is good. Finally!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401324777.652043.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401324821.032420.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401324848.169408.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401324869.727100.jpg

kidcampbell71 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. OFT

OFT

Really nice stance, and I like the way SBC is set up.
    Get speedo working? Are you still planning on changing F1 mount/pedal set up this winter? If so to what....

Thanks,
    Earl

17. Awesome! Great truck.
    Now is the time to enjoy all the work.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Congrats! Gary

19. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks. Waiting on speedo cable to arrive from bob drakes. I bought a really nice 90° angle drive for the trans for $65, it's steel and brass and has a grease fitting on it. I should have snapped a pic of it before I put it on the trans.

The crossmember. Well, I pulled it out, cut 2 half moons in the bottom for the exhaust, welded in some round tube for support and put it back together. It really does have some good points, you just don't hear about the bad points most of the time.

To be fair, some of the issue with it was me. I was sick for 2 years during the build so progress was really slow. It took so long to get it to this point that anytime something needs to come back apart, my brain is fighting it tooth and nail. That feeling of going backwards makes me crazy. It usually takes a couple days of bitching about it. Then my brother pointing out the fact that if I hadn't spent 2 days bitching it could have been done already. I see the light and fix it. Lol.

Thanks to everyone else for the nice words.

quickrack-alan likes this.
  20. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Looks great, love that carb set up. Hope to have mine set up this summer.

21. This pickup came out great,I like your style. HRP
    new image.jpg

22. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks HRP that means a lot. I'm so glad to be driving it. Taken her to work in the morning.

image.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Hell yea your truck looks beautiful, job well done..

24. Congrats! She came out amazing!

25. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

How'd your neighbors like their 6000rpm alarm clock this morning?

LOL

26. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I'm not sure. They're not talking to me. I wonder if that's good?

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool truck man, I like the way it sits...

28. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks. I tried to look at other 50's peroid cars, like yours which I have always liked, little books etc to get the stance right. Not too high, not too low. I think it's right where it should be. In fact I pulled the rear spring about 3 weeks ago and replaced the main leaf because I wasn't happy with it. It was reversed eye and we tweaked the ends of it like a few peroid cars I've seen. Looked pretty good at first, then the spring settled and it was awful. No rake, flat. Fender support on the box was dead even with the top of the tire. I hated it. Put a stock A main leaf back in and it got it back where it looked right again.

It's really good to be driving it. Need to fool around with tire pressures and soften the ride up a bit. We cranked them up for Autorama and I think it's a bit too much. I don't think the ol girl likes the gas shocks either.

Over all though it's been real reliable. Drive the snot out of it last night. Driving to Sins of Steel next weekend with Safari-Wagon and Captain Scarlet.

29. Well done with the aesthetics, she looks the part - capturing a period look. You should come out with Capt Scarlet and a few of the fellas to a few if the meet ups we will be taking in this summer around the area of Northville/Plymouth/Dearborn etc

Cool ride you got there.
    John

30. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah that would be cool. I'm about 30 minutes from Martyn's house, 10 minutes from Dearborn. Let me know.