Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who needs to buy an English Wheel when you have Bondo?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Mar 29, 2014.

1. rebstew187

rebstew187

Please don't shape your car using mud. I thought I had seen a lot through the years. This car has them beat.

It took me a year to bring myself to get this 54 choptop. I knew it was rough but the thought I should try to save it. :confused: What was I thinking? Every mod they did they did it wrong. Chop is bad and everything is full of mud. The roof was full of mud even covering the rain gutters.??? This is just plain sad someone would do this to a car. This is all Bondo from under the headlight, covering up this brazed and spot welded junk they used to mold in a Buick Grille. The Bondo is 3 inches thick in some spots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rebstew187

rebstew187

3. rebstew187

rebstew187

After an hour of digging out Bondo and grinding their spot welded crap off it looks a little better. Much better!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

holy moly what a load of plastic filler , unreal , nice repair after cleaning out the bondo

5. gold03

gold03

Wow! Hope you find solid metal on the chop you can work with like you did on the fender.

Keep us posted on your progress.

6. 562roadster

562roadster

Damn! My 51 had some major sculpting done to it with bondo also. But just take your time, piece by piece and it'll get done.

7. Whooo weee ! That some kinda skill set to get 3" of mud onto dog shit patches sculpted.
    I feel your pain.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

SWEET!!!!!! some people dont know there ass from a hole in the ground.

9. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

You must love a challenge!

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You're going to need shorter springs now..

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, on the other hand, just think how much work you'd have had to do to get rid of a customizing job that was just ugly? This way, a couple hours and you're back to a good starting point. All the mud chipped away easily, and the poor welding came apart to reveal the original metal unharmed. It could have been worse!

Brian

12. rebstew187

rebstew187

You haven't seen the hack job chop top. 3 plates welded in the roof. Sliced down the middle and window seams don't even line up. He must have been welding without a helmet. It's a hardtop Bel Air and I have always wanted one but they ruined it. The car is a basket case. I think it destined to be a jalopy I race at the track. For the time invested in fixing this I could buy a nice 54.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  13. rebstew187

rebstew187

Pics above is the first day I got it home. I have no idea what the metal is for on the back window. The car was done years ago. White and black tuck in roll inside. A friend had it for 17 years just as you see it. He never touched it. Looks like it had some great work done to it at one time and then someone later did a few things and found a semi truck of Bondo.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  14. Did they mold in the rear section and shorten the truck?

15. lowandslow60

lowandslow60

Holy bondo! That must have been expensive and taken forever to get that thing sculpted! Just think if they would have had the skills to do it right, it would have been cheaper and even taken less time! My Falcon has had some major body work done to it on one side. Not going to worry about it though. Bigger fish to fry

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. I would display those "trophys", and say I FIXED THIS SH$T!

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Holy crap! Do they sell bondo in 55 gallon drums? Those guys seriously must have gone broke buying bondo because even the cheapo brands are costly.
    "We're gonna grab a burger, then on the way back to the garage we'll stop and buy 4-5 more gallons of filler". Must have mixed it in a blender.
    Maybe the builder was a plasterer by trade...

18. stimpy

stimpy

didn't know they had a shotcrete gun for bondo . could have saved me mucho time instead of beating out panels over the years .

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it was lead instead of bondo it would have been a Barris job.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

...and when they were done shaping all that bondo, they proudly congratulated each other on a job well done.

21. marman1950

marman1950

Rad that your going to save it!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just noticed the I beam front axle under it, whats the story behind that? Bob [​IMG]

23. rebstew187

rebstew187

Yep.. Also cut out the cool taillights and stuck in a set of Stude lights.

[​IMG]

24. rebstew187

rebstew187

The front had hydros crudely put on. Top cut out with a torch and looks like it had been bounced around for many years that way. The back had a torch taken to the rear springs and both ends on the spring was heated and bent up 3 inches past the eyelet so the leaf itself was touching the frame. The back has air shock on it just to get it up enough to roll it. After going all over this car it's just not worth my time to bring it back to a nice custom. It's just too far gone. I'm going to clean it up, fix a few things and race it. I stuck the I beam in it a couple days ago. Clean it up but leave the chop, fix the back end sooner or later if I can find a rear clip and go with a radical gasser look for now.

25. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

"Having the project is what makes me happy, finishing it isn't something I think about"

This will keep you happy for a long time and you probably won't think about finishing it.

I got a headache just looking at the pics. Good luck.

26. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

I've done that before... got the thing home and started on it, held my head with both hands and pleaded, "God what have I gotten into?"

A crack of thunder, and this booming voice reminds, "Son, I tried to talk you out of it for one whole year, if you remember. One whole year. But, no, you wouldn't listen!"

Then the wife comes from the house and says the same thing. Darn, don't you just hate it that those two are always right, rebstew.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^ Thats my line, not his. Bob:D

28. If you think that is bad just think what the guy could have done with a torch.

Charlie Stephens

29. rebstew187

rebstew187

OR A GRINDER! The star of the car is the nicely cut green tinted windshield that is in it. Today I started cleaning the 20 + years of crud off the glass. I shouldn't be surprised but I was bent to find out they didn't cover up the windshield while they where grinding on some metal. Burned, metal peppered spots in the glass.
    :mad:
    Oh well enough of the cry baby crap. Make due with what I got. This stuff is not new to me but it gets old finding stuff done to these old cars that should have never been done or could have been prevented by a welding blanket over the glass while welding or grinding.

30. 61 chevy

61 chevy

don't all cars , need a back window, its the law aint it ?