Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Drag Rod... MoKan or BUST!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Nocero

Nocero

2. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I wish I had half the skills and half the friends you do!

3. You make this look easy. Should be a riot to drive.

4. Looking good man, talking with terry and his better half at Speedweek, we miss ya!

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't know how I have missed this thread up until now. What a really cool, fun build. Very straightforward with some very nice fabrication skills thrown in.

Love the concept and your reasons for building it. :)

Don

6. Cshabang

Cshabang

dude......this is why we all love and hate you at the same time Sam...everything you build is bitchin haha

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

How about an update?

8. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

any updates on this bad boy ??????

10. jungle_josh

jungle_josh

Lookin so nice but need some updates

11. I have an update in the works...

I'm knee deep in a new drive way right now... the garage is a MESS...

Once I get things finished up, and cleaned up, I'll do an update.

FWIW, I did bring the Papa Smurf 454 into the garage and pulled it a apart!

I'll have some good news on THAT little project too!

Sam

12. 63comet

63comet

Well goodness brother, get out of there before the concrete cures! I'm looking forward to updates too, we want pictures of things other than the underside of the car.

13. Hi gang!

I know I have let you guys hang for quite a while now on any Drag Rod updates... so here's an UPDATE!

I basically took this project from the 2 year long parts collecting phase to a completed chassis in about two months. Since I am in education and have summers off, it wasn't that hard to put in 10 hour days every day and get this much done.

But then I kinda got burned out... and needed a break.... so I built a pit bike. (Piranha 150cc motor in a CT90)

I more or less got that project finished up and then started in on some house renovations. (booooo-hissssss) The only shining light in the house renovation is that my son and I turned our front yard into a motocross tack and had some fun on his Honda 50!

Before I tore up the driveway though... I moved the Model A over to the side yard and drug the Papa Smurf 454(TM) into the garage.

If you've been on this journey with us from the beginning... you'll remember that my late son Nate pulled the PS454 out of my '57...

I really didn't know what to expect from the motor when I pulled it apart. I saw some new parts and what looked like forged pistons through the spark plug holes... but ya' never know.

So I was pleasantly surprised to find TRW forged .030 pistons and a decent crank and rods in the short block. The heads were also fresh and the thing had never been ran since they had been installed.

I am at a cross roads with this motor. From the beginning I knew I'd have to stick a new cam in it. The one that came out of it was an "RV" regrind... hardly the cam for a 10 second screamer.

But then there are the heads. They are closed chamber 427 heads. Sure they have stainless valves with a fresh valve job... but the valves are wimpy little 2.06(ish) intakes and 1.72 exhausts...

Upon closer inspection however... I noticed that the heads have had a little bowl work. I spoke with my friend Mike Bishop (av8) and he is willing to work some magic on them... which will undoubtedly help.

Option II is to try and find some better heads with bigger valves. My friend Steve has a pair of used Dart heads... but they are $$ and will lower the compression to 8:1 with the flat tops. That means I would need new pistons...

So I have pretty much decided that I should keep what I have... and do the following:

Strip the ugly blue paint off.

Take the block down to the machine shop and have it dipped and cleaned.

Install new cam bearings and freeze plugs.

Hone the cylinders a bit to get a little cross hatch back.

Buy some low buck Summit brand bearings, rings and oil pump.

New cam, lifters, springs and timing chain.

Mike Bishop port job.

Set the springs up.

$40 swap meet Torker intake and 850 double pumper.

I also got an MSD 7AL and two step rev limited from my barber for $100... so I am on the hunt for a USED MSD distributor w/o vacuum advance.

We'll then finish up the car... drop this bitch in, light the fuse and she what she'll do!

Enjoy the pics!

Sam

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  14. Engine pics...

Attached Files:

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Put a nice big solid flat tappet camshaft in it and run the snot out of it!

16. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

I now this was a ways back but the square tube bending video is great! Thanks so much! This will really help replacing the wood on my old chevy. Good luck with the rest of your build.

17. thanks for the update Sam, great to see your progress, certainly didn't expect to see Peter in the driving seat, although ironically not hard to imagine either:)

keep at it, don't over think it, and enjoy it for what it is.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

18. He does seem to pop up in the most strangest of places at odd times, but that is his style... Clearly there is alot of room as he got in there in the first place.

Great work Sam, can't wait to see what times this will run.

19. He actually thought he was in the passenger's seat until I handed him the steering wheel with the quick release hub on it.

;)

The really funny thing is that the picture was taken in August... and he was here yesterday too!

Sam

20. TERPU

TERPU

Go Sam Go! great to see you this weekend. Put me on the sign up sheet for a ride please, pretty please.

all the best,

Tim

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Are you working on this project???

22. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Sick inquiring minds want to know!:)

23. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

Subscribed and requested on instagram :eek:

24. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sam, I double dog dare you to make a post and bring this thing back into focus.:eek::cool::D

(someone told me you can't ignore a "double dog dare"):rolleyes:

Frank

26. We desperately need an update, stop teasing!

27. rockfish

rockfish

I need a new barber. Mine collects Precious Moment figurines. I'm ashamed to even know enough to type that.

28. DragRodStance.jpg Ok... my day job and lack of funds kind of got in the way for a bit... but a trip to the drag strip with some buddies has got me back on track. Well, for the past 7-8 months I've been working on my '57 Chevy to get it sold... The Papa-Smurf 454 turned out to have a cracked head... So I got a little discouraged. Then I turned up a running 427 from my friend Jeff's '55 Chevy. The motor ran 11.90-12.00 in a 3800 pound '55 Chevy... so it should FLY in this RIG! (pics to come when I pick it up) I did score a set of fiberglass fenders at the Turlock swap meet... and these SWEET CRAGAR S/S five spokes off of craigslist.... The dropped axle packed the wheels out too far, so my buddy Steve and I narrowed a '40 Ford axle to use with a narrow (for a '46 inch spring) mono leaf that I picked up... for... $40.
    My son Cal picked up a '63 Chevy II... so, I was forced to put THAT where THIS was on the side yard... and roll THIS back in the garage. A few nights and we almost have a ROLLER! Woo-hooo!!! 10 second time slips by the end of the year? What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    enloe and II FUNNY like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

You need anything for your kids 63 Chevy 2? I just finished a 63 Chevy 2 Wagon. I have some stuff left over....