Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What do you guys think? Lowering and stance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Mar 28, 2014.

1. I'm looking for some constructive criticism...

I rolled my truck out today for a look. I'm
    Trying to fine tune the ride height. What do you guys think? I've had a lot of positive responses so far. More than a few of the guys seem against going lower when I mention that I would like it lower still.

I like it, but it's not what I have in my head. In my head it is tucked tightly.

Here is the set up

Front is a 4 inch dropped axle with reverse eye spring and 5.00x16 tire.

Rear is reverse eye main. Went from 10 leafs to 7 and 7.50×17 tire.

So the 3 things I am thinking about doing are

Front: 5.50x17 wheel and tire. Basically go from a 27 inch tire to a 29.

Rear: pull 2 more leaves. Or raise the bed floor and step it.

Am I being to nit picky? I don't really want to take this thing apart again. Its almost done. I'm hoping it might settle more.

So what do you guys think?

Have I already nailed it?

Should I keep trying for lower?

I don't know that there is much left in it without cutting the frame, which was kinda the point when building this truck. All old ford parts, all bolt on, mostly model A.

Anything you can think of I may be overlooking?

Thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, it's a truck that doesn't have the look of a hot rod. I'm thinking it's fine where it is. If the top was chopped, I'd lower it for sure. But then, you'd also have different tires and wheels, as well.

Cool truck.

3. hipermax

hipermax
    from NC

In my mind...if you think you want to do something (ie go lower) and it's something your going to keep and drive, do it! Otherwise every time you look at it you'll wish you had , I can't tell you how many times I've cut / redone something to make it the way I saw it in my head... Just my thought

4. I think you are on the right track with the 17" up front. It will look a little more balanced. Would like to it before I give final blessing!:rolleyes:

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You are pretty damn close where you sit right now. If you had to mess with anything, I would go to a 4.50/4.75X16 tire on the front (visually the perfect tire for an "A" with fenders in my opinion), and dearch the rear spring about an inch, but leave the rear tires and wheels alone.

6. To be truthful I can't see anything wrong with it the way it sits. HRP

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree.. Truck looks pretty dam good as is..

8. AntiBling

AntiBling

I don't think your exhaust can handle you going any lower! Truck looks bitchin' to me. Wouldn't change a thing.

9. I like it the way it is. Although we have completly different build styles I think our stance is almost identical. Looks good, nice truck.

Attached Files:

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You have it nailed now, I'd keep the back as it is.

11. b-bob

b-bob

I would be happy to have mine sit like that. I think this is about as good as it gets with on a stockish /banger style Model A.
    If it had a modern V8 and street rod frame it could be lower.

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I think it looks great how it sits now really.

13. agree
    if you want it lower put an old engine block in the back
    call it your "lowering block"
    tk

14. adam401

adam401

You know you wanna tuck that rear wheel. Step that frame. If you do it so it looks like it's held back together with rivited brackets you can maintain that early vibe. the truck is awesome but to my eye the stance doesn't look quite balanced yet. I mean that in the most non critical, non ball busting way.

15. Carter

Carter

I love the stance, think it looks great. However, if it were me, I'd likely leave the front alone and try to get the back down just a bit more. Have you thought about trying a T rear spring?

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

One word- PERFECT!!!!!!

17. Why is the exhaust hanging down so low? HRP

18. Carter

Carter

It appears that maybe it's not attached to the manifold. Just a guess.

19. In my opinion it's PERFECT as is.
    Are you shooting for a specific period? It's kinda post war the way it is now.

20. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Be different. Leave it the way it is, looks good.

IMHO lowering it so that the truck is on the ground not only getting boring, but is a real PITA to drive.

21. Babyearl

Babyearl

I see nothing wrong here,, only way to drop it more would be to change to 15 inch rims but I think you would loose your original concept. If it ain't broke,, don't fix it.

22. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Looks good as it is, but 1-2" lower in the rear would be even better. I wouldn't step the frame to get it though.

23. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Haha maybe I'm crazy but I think it would look cool an inch or two up in the front. Still a rake and lowered. 4+ inches lowered seems to be a later period thing.

24. I think I see what you're saying. It is pretty mild, I've always thought of it as a truck first and a hot rod second and not the other way around. since it's so mild it can get away with not being 100 percent perfect stance. Thanks. that helps.

I understand that and is generally how I feel too.

I'm 90% sure I am going to give that a try.

So you are thinking a smaller front tire? interesting. I will probably try dearching the rear for sure. thanks

Thanks HRP!

thanks!

Haha, yeah, I should have left it tied up. I scratched the shit out of the valve cover, so it was off for repaint. and I need a new clamp. That's why the exhaust is off.

thanks, yours looks cool too!

thanks, good to know.

Yeah, it's almost at the limit. I may be able to get it a little lower. but not much.

Thanks. good to know!

Lol. good one!

Thanks, deep down I have that feeling too. I'm probably going to end up driving it like this, while I come up with something for next winter. Maybe spring behind with a columbia 2 speed...

I've got a t spring, but it's almost complete junk. I do want to try it.

thanks!

Yup! I scratched the valve cover so it was off for repaint and I need a new exhaust clamp

Post war-ish is kinda were it was headed. thanks!

definitely a consideration. It's pretty low already. I have about 4 1/2 inches at the lowest point.

I'm actually more concerned with the tire being tucked than the actual lowness of the truck. A smaller rim and tire will just make that worse. Thanks though, I do see where you were going.

that would be perfect to me.

Interesting, that's kinda why I want to go to a taller front tire. same effect, and a easy change. thanks.

Thanks guys, this is really helping with the brain storming. It's helpful to discuss this with others.

thanks!

25. How's the caster right now?
    Any more nose-down rake will reduce caster-- making it easier to turn at parking lot speeds, but more twitchy at highway speeds.

26. salf100

salf100

Don't touch it. Everything is perfect!!

From my teletype.

27. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

Looks great! I love the rake. Tuck that exhaust up a bit and you are there.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks good to me. nice rubber rake, tires fit the fenders right. might look better dropped 1 inch all around, but I wouldn't change the tires or rake

29. I haven't measured it yet. I drove it most of last year with the same tires but not lowered. Basically the same rake but 4 inches higher. It was great at speed and really sucked at low speed. I do intend to measure it and make adjustments as needed.

Thanks!

Thanks

1 inch would be perfect. Thanks. I'll keep fiddling with it.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya! The only thing I see "wrong" (and notice the quotey deals to accentuate how minor it is!) is the front tires are a bit too tall in proportion to the wheel. I have seen quite a few Model "A"s full fendered in the last few years with about the same stance and the Firestone 4.50-4.75X16" under the front fenders and it fits like a glove. Looks like it belongs there to. Most of these cars run a 7.00 or 7.50 X16" on the back as well. If I have some time tonight I'll post a couple out of my rat-tangle of saved pictures, with your permission. The aren't all '30-'31 pickups, but you'll get the idea.

I spent a lot of time pondering this exact thing as I had intended to do the same stance with my '30 coupe, but someone else just flat needed it more than I did.