Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford front axle on a 31 Ford Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rollinsixes, Mar 29, 2014.

1. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

I've been looking for info on putting a 40 Ford axle on my 31 Ford. Just haven't had any luck finding any info as if it will work with or without mods. I'm going to run full fender and run it as a gasser. Also will be selling my 4 inch drop axle that come with my 31. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers Ellis

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. The '40 axle is not a bolt on depending on what the car alrerady has for an axle. If you are already running a '37 up axle then it is pretty much a bolt on, so it really depends on what you already have.

If you are running full fenders like would have been required in gas coupe/sedan the wheels are not going to land like originals the axle is wider which will push your front wheels out toward the edges of the fenders.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Ok now I get a question. Is that a Riv in your avitar? Nice pic even if I am wrong.

3. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

Thanks for the info...it's my old 54 Ford. I'm actually getting ready to repaint the who thing for my buddy that owns it now...we are also gonna drop a rebuilt Y-block in it. I'll be posting pics on Instagram under devilshandproduction_ellis
    Cheers Ellis

4. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

Pretty much looking for a tube axle without drop. Anyone have any ideas here's a few pics of where I wanna be. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396115328.427826.jpg

5. Mark T

Mark T

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The late model axle will work but they put the tire close to the fender's edge. I got a beautiful dropped, filled and chromed axle for my Deuce sport coupe from a guy that replaced the old axle with the narrower reproduction axle on his full fendered Model A P/U. It looked bitchen on my high boy.

7. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I recall seeing a-37 40 axle with a Model A/Model T rear spring used up front to jack up the front end on an A drag car. Of course the spring mounts in the traditional location as a stock model A. You would have to modify the cross member to allow for the increased width of the spring and use correct width spring shackles to fit the T or A spring eyes and space them out for proper centering.

8. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Dam Ellis you have no idea how bummed i am right now I've been searching for a axle in the area for the last six months (i'm cheap :eek:and wanted to keep the shipping cost down)finely gave up last weak and shipped mine out to Joe's speed shop,great guy to deal with,he takes time to answer any and all my dumb questions, good luck with your build I'll be watching .Whoooo back up the horses, i just remembered i still need a wish bone found out yesterday mine is not in the best of condition if you would be interested in selling yours pm me=Jack

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The '32 you have pictured has a '37 V8-60 tube axle which is probably the rarest & most costly of all Ford axles. If you found one of them, you'd still have the same wide spring & overall width issue as mentioned before. Why not just use a stock Model A axle? You can get those for under $60 each pretty easily.

11. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

Right on Corn Fed. I'm still figuring options. Did find one of them axles$$ also looking to have one made which is gonna be quite a bit as well but would have a quality new axle. Only reason I'm looking to use the tube is from what I can tell is the four link set up works best with the tube.