Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 Plymouth Business Coupe update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconvan, Jul 26, 2013.

1. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Got my headers done today, just need to tighten them up. I also took a trip to the boneyard early this morning. I was off work to take my better half to the doctor and I had a couple hours to spare this morning. I picked up a driveshaft from a Ranger that should work after a little shorting, and I found this fuse/relay box from the same truck. I think I’m going to use this instead of just mounting loose relays.

Attached Files:

2. trollst

trollst

I like it, nice work, but a question, how come some guys ask a auto computer related question here and get their asses flamed so bad they never forget, others can make ten pages of non hamb style drivetrain? Not being critical, this is gonna be a pretty great driver.

3. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Great work! it's coming along very nice.

4. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Who knows? They may still decide to toss me off. A few years ago I got my ass handed to me on here for posting some pictures of a build I was doing using a 48 Dodge chassis and drivetrain along with a 54 GMC cab and a tractor grill. I called it a r-trod and all hell broke loose. I couldn't believe how hateful some people got over it and the thread was shut down. So maybe they feel sorry for me this time:D. Either way, I respect their decision but I hope the moderators let me finish. Most folks who comment seem to like it.

5. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I got the headers bolted down and the steering box back in today along with small stuff like swapping out the gauge sensors and running a few wires for the starter and alternator. These SHO motors use an oil cooler that bolts to the block where the oil filter goes and the filter screws onto it. Then a heater hose runs out the back of the motor, to the cooler and back. Then a heater hose runs out the back of the motor, to the cooler, and back into the block through a nipple by the oil filter mount. It's a big mess of hoses that takes up a lot of room as much and as I'm trying to make it all fit, it looks like this is just not going to work around the big honker Plymouth steering box. I'm going to ditch the factory cooler and filter, screw on a remote filter adapter and mount a remote oil cooler and filter on the core support. Slow progress; lots of trial, error, and do overs, but it's getting there.

Attached Files:

6. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Great progress and I love the dash!

7. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks! That was one of the big pluses when I got the car; it already had a really nice new interior.

8. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Lots done in the past few days; I found a belt that fit and got the tensioner mounted, intake is mounted along with all the little gizmos bolted to it and hooked up. That stuff sure eats a lot of time. I found an adapter to eliminate the factory oil cooler and mount a take off plate so it's on the way and the cooling passages for the factory one are plugged.

Attached Files:

9. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Sure looks good. I bet it will handle good too without all that weight off the front end.

10. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I think so, 100 lbs off the front end should be a noticeable difference.

11. ssgtwright2515

ssgtwright2515

Hey Falconvan,
    I am amazed at the quality work that you have been putting inside your ride. Like to see some new pictures of her soon.
    I have a few questions for you. You know that I own one of those old mail trucks (FJ8C), and my main problem (S) is that neither of the side sliding doors will open up now.
    Looks like the top of the roof where the doors slide have somewhat collapsed a few inches so that now the doors do not slide. I am assuming its all aluminum on the inside where the rollers for the doors will be at. How much do you think on average will it cost to have each door fabricated.
    My other question is this, what type of primer and paint are you using to paint your vehicle. I figured that I will get a new crate 258 engine and add a EFI fuel system from a jeep 4.0 engine. I will also get the TF999A rebuilt with digital gauges for the dash. The color I am going for is the new Camaro Synergy Green inside and out. I will add jeep rear bench seats to the rear and have the rear end redone so that it will be positive tracktion. I like to find a way to get rid of that 12 gallon fuel tank and at least make it 15 gallons or more. Anyways, my main concern is the doors and what type of paint that you are using and why.
    Thanks again,
    Sarge.

12. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Hey Sarge, glad to see your still working on your FJ. So are you talking about fabricating a complete door from scratch or just fabricating new slides? As far as paint, I like a company called TCP Global. They have good products and fair prices. If you're going to bare metal you'll need a coat of etching primer followed by three coats of 2k hi build primer followed by three coats of eurothane single stage. You'll have to wet sand the whole truck with 400 grit after spraying the 2k primer. Of course you can go more high dollar but for basic cruise around hot rods on a budget, I like single stage eurothane.

Sounds like you got a great plan, start a build thread so we can watch it come together!

13. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I've been sick for three days so I didnt get back out there until today. I got the O2 sensors put in and had to shorten the harness for the passenger side one. I made it way to long, not sure how I measured that wrong. I put the core support on and made a mount for the oil cooler (Caprice police car) and the remote filter. I'll have to get a 90 degree elbow to shoot the air intake sideways so the radiator will fit. Looks like a late 60s Mustang aluminum radiator is going to be the best fit. The passenger side wheel well still fits but the drivers side will need some surgery.
    I also picked up a new parts hauler yesterday; it's a 2000 3/4 ton Ram van with a 5.9. A little bit of a beater but it runs great, everything works, and has lots of hauling room. Best of all, it was cheap.

Attached Files:

14. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I got all the cooler and filter lines run tonight; hope to get radiator in and maybe fuel lines run this weekend.

Attached Files:

15. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Lots done today; got my radiator installed, starter back in, ran the battery cables for the trunk mounted battery, did some work on the panel where the ECC and relays are going to be mounted, and notched the steering column tube to clear the drivers side header. I raised the engine 1/2" but still had to notch it; forgot to account for the thickness of the header wrap when I built the header tube around the column. Im going to have to relocate the MAF; it's hitting the top of the radiator fan and I've got the radiator as far forward as it can go and the fan as low as it can go. But all in all; it's coming along pretty good. Im hoping there's an attempt at starting the engine in the near future!

Attached Files:

16. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I finally hit that point where I had to stop working on the car and start cleaning; the car was full of tools and junk, every flat surface was piled with stuff and I couldn't find anything. So now everything is cleaned up and I was able to get the car to the point of a crank test. Starter circuit works and after testing some voltages on the PCM it looks like I have power where it needs to be. Next thing is to run the fuel lines and see if she's going to start. Might get there tomorrow!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  17. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Can't wait to see it on the road!

18. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Same here! Have you found another project yet, Cowboy?

19. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Not yet . We did move Austin. I'm working and going back to school and living in an apartment so I have no time to start on a project. I hope by early next year the dust will settle and I can get back into it.

20. ssgtwright2515

ssgtwright2515

Thanks for the advice. Right now I am looking to get a medium blaster and get it down to bare metal. I hate that some companies will not ship to Hawaii. As for the sliding doors, looks like I will have to fabricate some new upper tracks since the original ones have rusted away from the rain gutters. Looks to be a major problem with these FJs with the rain rails and the sliding doors meet. I think it will look great with that new Camaro Synergy Green paint. I am thinking of having the roof in a frost white color but decided against it. Too much volcanic dust in the air and anything that is white starts to look like red brick dust.

21. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I lokked at that color, Sarge. That will look really cool on your truck; it'll be one of a kind, for sure.

Finally, it's alive! I've got a few wiring snafus to track down but it does run! Time to start reassembling and work on getting it road ready.

22. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Now that I know it'll run, Im taking a break from the wiring for a bit and going to go ahead and get the 8.8 swapped in so I can get a driveshaft built. Lots of useless brackets to cut off the rearend and new spring perches to mount but I hope to have it mocked up by next weekend.

Attached Files:

23. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

<SUP> Last night I got all the brackets and spring pads cut of the new rearend and got the old one pulled. I ran out of Argon or I would have had the new one sitting on the springs for a test fit.</SUP>
    <SUP>Anyone else working on a 49? This rearend has new brakes, wheel cylinders, and lines, the driveshaft is cleaned and painted, and the radiator is good. Im open to offers on any or all of it.</SUP>

Attached Files:

24. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Got the 8.8 test fit, pinion angle set, and pulled it back out to weld on the spring pads today. Tomorrow it gets some paint, build some shock mounts, and put it back in for good. This week I'd like to get the rear fenders bolted back on along with the rear gravel pan and the rear bumper. I really want this baby on the road by May!

Attached Files:

25. sadsack

sadsack

go for it.
    sadsack

26. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Yesterday the 8.8 got a coat of paint along with the spring plates and some lower shock mounts I built. She back in and ready to go as soon as I run the brake lines.

Attached Files:

27. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I'll think you will on the road by May. I looks great too! What ever happen to the White 4 door?

28. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I traded it for this one.

29. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

30. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Today I got the fenders bolted down, bumper & gravel pan on, and had to do some re-engineering on the gas filler. It stuck out way too far before so I had to shorten part of it and make a couple of brackets to hold it steady. I think the next order of business is clean out the trunk and get some POR-15 on the floor of it; then onto getting the hydraulic clutch hooked up.

Attached Files: