Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 chrysler newyorker custom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattoos by brandon, Sep 15, 2011.

1. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Also hopefully tomorrow I'll know the status of my heads and that will be a big factor in what I do

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Got good news heads are good and the engine machine shop has some leads on blocks for me so I'll be calling them tomorrow or stopping by to see where we are at ... I'm gonna get some kerosene and try to get sole other work done and keep motivated and get this car going

3. db300

db300

Keep the updates rolling. I figure I'll only have to rebuild my 413 once, so I have to just suck it up and do it. Been a learning process, that's for sure!

4. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Yeah I was originally just gonna do my heads but the more I talked to ppl and the more I though a out it why not ... I'm still using a majority of my original parts and I will post all the info and pics of where and what I get and why ... it's hard to find ppl that know anything about these cars and motors if it wasn't for some of the ppl on here I would be screwed lol

5. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Im told if your doing a rebuild ur gonna need to get new pistons ...u can get over sized rings but your ring seats will be worn out and u will have problems sooner or later and normally ur gonna want to go 10 to 30 over and it's worth spending the money on the important things so you only do it once ... I still using my rods and crank

6. 73RR

73RR

A lot will depend on the mileage, the previous maintenance and how many miles you expect to put on the car.
    The first question is how much piston-to-wall clearance do you have? If it is not too far from spec you could do a 'quickie' rebuild if you don't expect miracles or 100K miles. Have your shop guy take a good hard look at the piston ring land condition and see if there is any excessive wear.
    Most of the available pistons are low compression truck type parts, including the KeithBlack-Silv-o-lite part number 1272D (3.250' dia. Head recess .220' deep. Truck engine. Comp ht 2.023")
    [​IMG]

The lc pistons will cost you hp, but forgings will only cost a bit more money. Stay with oem compression on this engine.
    Have your machinist compare the compression height of your stock piece against what are offered.

Gary

7. db300

db300

8. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

So far we found a block the machine shop will net me know in the next day or 2 if we are back in business also I should have the engine bay painting or at least all in primer the next day or so I will have pics soon ... we plan on getting the whole front of the car in primer in a week or less if all goes well I'm running our of time because our 52 is almost ready to come home and it will be a tight fit again but the weather will be a little nicer this week so that should help ... I'm mailing out my steering box tomorrow so everything should be coming together very soon ....
    Here's some pic of the 52 and a 57 Buick I had that had the interior done by portage trim who I traded the car to

Attached Files:

9. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

OK well I didn't touch the car there for a while because I'm slammed at work and been to tired but Sunday in got Some stuff done when I got back from working on the 52 and my dad came over to help Sunday and today and we got the fire wall blocked out and some primer on now to do a lot more block sanding but it's fairly nice so should not be to much work and where I eliminated the battery is primed also and I got the frame and everything digressed and washed up just gotta wire wheel and sand then I can put some paint on that before I do my last primer on rest of the engine bay ... I also got some more of the front disassemble and will have my spindles back on to set the car on the ground and fix some aliment issues with the front fender and doors ... here's some pics

Attached Files:

10. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

And here are some more random shots of my dirty garage and how the car looks right now

Attached Files:

11. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

There are some pics of the trunk that will be the next major thing to accomplish ...I plan on a Mustang gas tank so I will not have to fab but a lot of the floor and then shave my gas door and make a flip up cover for my suspension ... and here are some pics of the challenges on the front clip ... I gotta fix my sand blaster and see what I'm gonna do with the rust from the Crome moldings and this is the gap I gotta fix for my fender and door ... I think it happened when I pulled out the inner fender to fix it and the car was setting unevenly ... so we are gonna lossen it all up and Jack up the one side and try to get it into place

Attached Files:

12. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Well I got some work done till my compressor died on me ... removed the rusted metal on the bottom fender and started the repair and molding of the bottom fender to the rocker I don't have any metal working tools other than some hammers and a vice and my work bench with that said this is what I have got ... I replaced the bottom with one large piece and I'm starting to connect it to the rest of the fender one small strip at a time so I can get the correct shape that I need ... this is the best way I could come up with for this fix with what I have also spindles are De greased and will be painted soon and same with the front clip of the suspension and frame I have 3 months to have this car driving and 4 to have it painted so I will be busting ass as soon as I get my compressor fixed

Attached Files:

13. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Well the compressor was dead so I got a new one and it's finally set up and ready to go so I'll be busting some stuff out soon and I brought the 52 home

Attached Files:

chriseakin likes this.
  14. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Brake time ... I got the sand for the sand blaster and got some stuff done ... spindles got blasted and painted and now that there drying I'm blocking the engine bay and should be shooting the last caught of primer tonight or tomorrow then 320 and I can spray my whole motor bay .... After a lot of going back and forth I decided just to do it all in a single stage black tractor truck implement with some reducer and hardener so I can get a durable washable surface with a little shine ... I'm not going show car with this just want it practical even though I'm doing all this work lol and here is a shot of the 52 this morning

Attached Files:

15. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

A little before and after I can't wait till I get some paint on this ... One step closer each day ... I worked on the car till about 4 am last night and my dad came by today while I was gone and got a second caught of primer on not some 320 sanding and finish prepping the rest of the engine bay and I WILL get the engine bay in paint by Sunday the latest lol

16. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Attached Files:

17. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Got some more disassemble and got the wire wheel out and also did a little sanding ... arms are off I wasn't gonna take them off but I figured if I'm doing it I'm gonna do it right I might not make my deadline but it will be done right ...I pick up my motor Monday and ill run to summit

Attached Files:

18. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Got all of the parts blasted and some painted I worked all day on the car yesterday and I will be working on it for a majority of today ... on a good note I'm going to pick up my motor today then if I have time and some money I'll go to summit and get some parts to get it together and I will probably be painting the motor tonight also
    I would like to thank my friend David for helping out he got the fender blocked and ready for primer

Attached Files:

19. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Got the motor back and went to summit and got mostly everything I should need ... I need to get the teeth ring or w.e for the flywheel hopefully I can find some where to get it ..and I need to order all my Bushings and balljoints and what not for the front end ...
    I got a electronic distributor, Mustang gas tank , edlbrock intake , all my brake parts spindles to rubber hoses to pads and calipers, fuel pump,water pump housing and pump,plugs and wires ,sending unit for the tank, 100 amp mopar alternator and brackets for a 66 new yorker ,coil, and some stuff I'm forgetting ... now I need to make a plywood stand for my power steering box so I can box it up and ship it out safely and I need to find a new or refurbished power steering pump...so ill be busy this week getting my motor on my stand and painted and start the assembly before I continue with the body work I can have it all together and bagged up safely ...here are some pics the plans are gold block and heads and the valve covers are painted a deep red and some Crome ,cast color and black for everything ells ...Also I think I'm going with a very dark deep root beer color for the body with high metallic and a flat clear

Attached Files:

20. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Got the motor on the stand after trying several different ones and got the first coat of paint on it I'm just trying to decide if I want to do a black or gold oil pan ... I'm also considering getting a new Crome one or something still can't decide. ..tomorrow I will be getting some more paint and some of the bolts to the water pump and intake so I can begin installing them

Attached Files:

21. George

George

W/o reviewing to see if I've said this here before...Black is best @ shedding internal heat so that should be the obvious choice for oil pans.

22. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

I didn't know that at all and never heard that lol

23. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Well motor is all painted and picking up some new bolts tonight and I'll start assembly. ..ordered a standard balljoints and front end kit from Kaner .. I originally got a center link and inner tie rod ends but they were 90$ each for tie rods and 165 for center link but I'm not sure if my steering box will be fixable and Idk if I'm gonna need to change anything so for now I'm using the old parts and if I need new ones I'll buy them after I'm done with the more important things ... Also found a power steering pump and ordered the ring from my flywheel witch no one but orileys had surprisingly.... here's a tattoo I did of a hot rod the other day
    Enjoy

Attached Files:

chriseakin likes this.
  24. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Well we started the assembly and checked the new bolts and intake and the fit so tomorrow once I have a couple more parts and bolts cleaned and painted we are going to put it on... got the distributor in and full pump and headers but it looks like the starter won't work with the headers or even the motor in general ... if it will work with the motor and trans I can dent the headers a little to get it to work if not I can just suck it up and cut and fab up that part of the header and just header wrap them ...I got them for 150 to 180 brand new so I can't complain ...they do fit in the car well and clear everything ...orileys ordered my flywheel geer and I'm dropping off my power steering pump tomorrow for them to send to be rebuilt and I'm borrowing my friends blast cabinet so I can do all my small parts and keep the garage clean here's some pics and you can see the gold a little better on the one pic it's a lot darker than it looks
    Also test fitted the hood and will be starting on it soon also

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. db300

db300

Looking great!!! Love those gold blocks

26. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Well before I do anything else I have to wait till monday and call the machine shop because the starter alinement seems to be different and they told me everything was identical on this block ....of course always something

27. n847

n847

That engine looks great! Was that a rattle can color? Cool build!

28. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Found out summit sold.me the wrong starter like always I wish jegs was closer ... they have a mini starter that will work its just 300 instead of 150 but it will save me from cutting up headers ...the paint is hvt I don't remember the color but I'll look when I get a chance ... I'm dropping off my 52 for wiring and I'll be hopefully working on the 59 tonight if I have time

29. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Right now I want to punch mother mopar in the face but it's my fault for building a car with several different years and make of parts ... but any way I got my intake on and started the water pump assembly but stopped to see how my alternator would mount and found a problem ... my heads of my 59 413 are not drilled for this bracket set up and I'm trying to figure out what to do or if I can find a way to mount it ... I.am going to see if my friend can plasma cut me some stuff and make it work ... it's just a little discharging when you do some much work and spend a lot of.money a d everyone tells you thing will work and they don't ... but at least when I'm done I will have a good knowledge about all these applications. .. I'm just hoping I can use my Pulleys and won't run into to much more issues ... I still have a lot to do and need the car driving with in the month and I keep spending my free time dealing with this crap instead of working!!! Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with and if anyone has any suggestions fell free ... I'm still new with a lot of this and I'm trying to learn and do this right

Attached Files:

30. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Good news is last weekend we got the flooring done in my shop and this weekend I will be doing another 900 Sq feet to finish it!! And that was 3g I could have used on the car but the business comes first

Attached Files: