Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Ranchero that got away

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 28, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Yeah , it seems like we all have a " the one that got away " !:( Nice story .

^^ Great El Camino ^^ Done just right . LOVE IT !!

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

I had a 65 Ranchero 390 4 speed.I sold it to some bastard that paid me way too much for it.I've regretted it ever since.

4. Muttley

Muttley

The one that haunts me is this '65 Galaxie, I had a chance to buy it but passed...........twice.

[​IMG]

5. catdad49

catdad49

Nice one, Joey. A couple of 57 Chevys that weren't purchased are the ones that come to my mind. One was my Dad's ( White over Black Belair Hardtop) that he bought new, traded in and bought by a friend at work for his newly married daughter. A few years and miles later, the car is offered to him/me for $75 come springtime. I can't wait, but the daughter has an accident and bends up the backend. The car will never be right according to my Dad, end of story. Thanks for stirring the memories, Carp

6. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

Continue to kick youself muttley. You've earned it

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

red and white stock Ranchero looks good sitting at the car lot in Tomball Texas. right now. Today.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

must have been cozy & warm in there with that big engine. had a '66 Fairlane Ranchero with 390 & Fairlane GT 390/4 speed - fun ride, that should still be in my garage

9. I had tried to get a 56 chev big window pickpup since high school (70's)it sat on the bus route..saw it everyday I did ask the owners about it a few times after graduation.. it was never for sale ... late 80's I stopped again same story this time I left half a check deposit slip .told the owner to put it with his title card ...my parents moved nearby and now I was going past this truck almost as oftem as high school... 2009... its gone I stop to see if it was maybe moved into the garage ... nope the son said his father had passed away and some one had picked it up afew hours earlier.. I mentioned leaving my name years before to be left with the title.." oh ya your that guy" the number you left had been disconnected without a new one attached..... dang I had moved into my new house not long after my last visitand had changed phone companies ... "missed it by that much"

10. flamingokid

flamingokid

It was a beast.It belonged to an old guy down the street who built it(I was 16,he was about 30)His wife gave him an ultimatum and I was the grand prize winner.Couple of years later,she found out he bought a new Katana and I got that for a song.I've never been married,so I don't know what it's like to have a toy limit or having to answer to somebody.

11. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

So fitting, was just scheming to buy a 59 ranchero here when it was swooped on by someone else! Too slow!

12. Too many of them to write about

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The BIG "one that got away" for me was JEEM's '64 Galaxy. fter trying to get me to buy it for over a year, i sold a car in the middle of the night to raise the money, only to catch him walking into work late from transferring the title early that morning.... GLXcolorunchked.jpg

14. We all have a story about the car that got away but there usually is a valid reason behind why it got away.

The year was 1973 and the car was a Dodge Daytona,hemi powered,4 speed, I had rode in the car was a beast!

The car belonged to a recently married couple and due to a recent spike in the price of gas they needed to sell the car.

Mike stopped by my apartment and said he needed to sell the car and would I be interested?

At that time I thought the car was as ugly as a mud fence but it was fast so I ask how much?

Mike said,"800 bucks",I passed on the car and bought a 1956 HD.

Hindsight being what it is and the insane money these cars bring I missed out on a rare car,but I still think they are ugly! HRP