Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spartan Starburst Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slightly-dangerous, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Hi . I'm restoring a 1960's - 70's Topolino Altered that was originally painted in Spartan ... American Starburst .. metallic , is anyone familiar with Starburst and is available in the USA .

Attached Files:

2. I thought Spartan paints were an Australian company........andyd

3. Hi ya .. well as far as I know it was . I was shown an old Spartan formula book today and it had a page on American Starbust ..Gemini Violet .. Sunfire gold ..Wildcat Green ..and from memory there the colours i'm after .. I have had no luck here in Oz so thought I would give our US brothers a go ...

4. Spartan was part of Wattyl.

There is now a Spartan paints manufactured in New Dehli, India.

5. I was thinking that the book had the page American Starburst

maybe that range of colours may have been imported ???

that's why I posted here ..

6. Maybe they just called those colours that.

7. yep maybe . I have some of the original colour on the body

so maybe I will go for similar factory colours .

just the modern Metallics are not quite right .

but as long as it looks like the pic will do ..Thanks

8. hi SD ,yes spartan was/is an Australian brand , most likely named the line "American" for sales appeal , in the 70"s I paint my brother inlaws EH "super X wildfire" purple . I don't know if Pheonix paints are still in sydney ,the had some of the baddest colors around ,what about spraychief from adelaide are they still around .good luck with your project

9. Well i learnt something new again today , the Original Y block Outlaw was painted in Spartan Starburst , and the latter version Outlaw has Spartan signage .. I assumed that it was also painted in Starburst ???? then today I got hold of an original .. Wildfire super X chart and the colours are an exact perfect match , I still have some original colour on the body . I also assumed Spray chief were out of business since the passing of Mick , but I rang the number which went to Sydney and spoke to Peter who said he has the formula book for Super X and can knock the colours I need

[​IMG]

10. Yummo........metalflake........lol.........heres a scan of my 1970's Phoenix colour chart........dunno if it helps......andyd

Attached Files:

11. And another, this time the metalflakes.......yum.......lol.......andyd

Attached Files:

12. Just got off the phone with Peter Jug from http://www.spraychiefcustompaints.com.au/ and they did a great deal if I display their Spraychief signage on Outlaw ... deal done ..Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated

13. Have to thank Peter from Spray Chief Custom Paints for suppling the paint .

Peter flew over from Sydney last weekend and dropped in to check out Outlaw

What a great match to the original colour still visible on Outlaw .

Looks like I have a big weekend ahead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Thanks to Spray Chief Custom Paints

Attached Files: