Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Title Question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn F., Mar 28, 2014.

1. I just bought a 1950 Ford 4 door today and realized that the title number must have been input wrong on the title. The car and title is a SC title and I live in NC and of course when bringing an out of state car/title to NC you have to have an inspector come and look the car over and make sure the numbers match. Only the last 3 digits are off. The title ends in 853 but the actual car numbers are 583. Seems that whoever made the title had a typo. Does anyone know if I am going to have to go through hell getting this fixed or would I be able to call the NC DMV and get them to look in the system and see if it's a typo or not? Or should I call SC DMV? I do not have the time nor money to mess with another screwed up title and hoping this will be an easy fix…

Thanks in advance for any help/info!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That stinks to high heaven. It LOOKS like a simple error, but 3 numbers could be a problem. I think this is one of those cases, where getting the window with the nice clerk, is going to be to your advantage.

Gotta check those numbers, folks.

3. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Good luck. :) Even if the title matches the car it's a pain in the A$$ to get a car on the road with an out of state car. I'm not sure how SC is, but I would try to fix it with them first. NC might let you get a 2014 custom title, but that's no fun.

4. It is clear that the numbers got input incorrectly because they are the same 3 digits but just in a different order…

5. In many states there is a 'previous title number' box. If you have this you should be able to contact the state the title is from and get THEM to correct the title, before you attempt to have the new state issue a title the vehicle.

6. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

If you had (or a copy of) the previous voided title with all the same info before the mess up.......

7. Studebakermatt, What if the car is running and driving though? Will it still be a pain?

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The problem is, the DMV is a nightmare, when things aren't normal. One number off would be bad. Two? Prayers needed. I'd go there with the title and an etching of the cars VIN and show them what the situation is. Be nice and explain FULLY. You WILL have to jump through hoops. At this point, you need to find a way to make the hoops bigger.

9. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

The guy you bought it from needs to get it fixed. He is your best bet.

10. Tim, so I should call SC DMV then and see what they can do? Will they have to give the title to the old owner then and sign it over again to me? I hope this is true and can be fixed…

11. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Yea,
    go to your local DOT and show them the mistake and let them check it out. They have seen this before. My insurance man caught a mistake on a title of mine and worked with the local DOT and it was found that 2 transfers before mine , the clerk had turned 2 numbers around . They fixed it and no problem.
    You should be fine. Remember, if they can fix it , they get your money. Good luck!

12. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

It has to be running and driving. If it looks mostly original it will be easier. My roadster isn't quite original (but not really that modified), so they wanted to title it as a 1930 ford street rod.. or replica because it didn't have the original engine with the vin number on it, but it is also stamped on the frame. I did not like that idea at all! After a lot of back and forth I got it as a 1930 ford roaster, luckily I got a decent guy. Takes forever too....

13. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

This is your best bet! ^^^^^

14. Well I think it may be a solution, it is how I would have someone proceed here in NE. Your best bet is to talk with your local DMV or the SC DMV to see what is possible.
    I understand what you are going thru, I was sold a car with wrong title and a restamped VIN once, and had to go through headaches to get that fixed.

15. Same thing happened with my '35....two numbers transposed. We were able to obtain copies of the prior titles, and show where the error occured. Numbers are now corrected, and all is well.

16. 37hotrod, was the car an out of state title or no? If so then which state did you go to? I am going to call the local inspector and ask him on Monday first before calling the DMV and see what he says… I guess more added BS to lose sleep over this weekend. ;(

17. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

The local inspector will be your best source for the answer on what you need to do. If you call Raleigh you'll waste half a day and still most likely end up with a wrong answer.

I'm guessing he'll tell you to go back to the seller and have it corrected in SC so its clean coming into NC.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On a side observation, there are about 200,000 HAMB members and not ONE works for a DMV anywhere? How the hell does that happen? That person could have a DMV sticky thread and answer questions all day long. Or is that why we don't have one?:D

19. Biggest issue is we'd need 50 of em.
    Best I can do is comment on Nebraska stuff from the enforcement side of things. All we do for the DMV is go out and confirm the VIN number if someone is titling a vehicle.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I mean, one member, would at least be in the ball park with suggestions on how to deal with things. As far as I know, we don't even have one.

21. True. Do the DMV people just hate cars? :D

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

we deal with these issues at the dealership.

as previously stated, the previous owner (who's name is on the title) needs to fix it.

probably will require an inspection/certification by an office of the law. Hopefully they will accept it inspected by an out-of-State officer.

if the error was on DMV, it will be much easier. If they have no reference that it was anything different than now, it may be a PITA.

it may even end up requiring title insurance

23. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

He might answer questions related to the state he works for, but for any other states the same answer might be useless since every state has a different set of motor vehicle laws.

Here's a wierd one in NC for ya.... If a dealer sells you a car and fails to deliver a valid title, that's a criminal offense and you WILL get your money back or he WILL sit in jail for a while. If an individual who doesn't have a dealer license sells you the same car and fails to deliver a valid title, that's a civil case so if you want your money back you have to hire a lawyer and take the seller to court. Great law, huh?

24. It's all about making money... Sad but true.

25. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Contact DMV and be upfront and out in the open. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. I know of several instances of mistakes being corrected. By the way, only two numbers were transposed, this happens more than you know.

26. Thanks Chevy Gasser, I sure hope your right! My plan is to call the SC DMV Monday first thing and tell them the situation. If they need to talk to the PO then I will call him and tell him to do it ASAP. Unfortunately he is moving this weekend and will be gone next week and working so it will be hard to get him to do it I am sure... We will see.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If we do, nobody's talkin'... "Oh, you work for DMV?" "Poop no, man."

28. redo32

redo32

An other title story. A buddy had a shop build a nice '30 A sedan. They acquired a title & stamped the numbers in the frame. Hauled it to DMV, the lady came out to inspect it & said "You get on the trailer & read me the numbers". My buddy read the numbers & she said " Read them again". He did, she said "A number is wrong. It must be a misprint. We can fix that." My buddy had stamped the wrong number.

29. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Bureaucrats want to help, mostly, and want to be appreciated. Use this fact.

If you call them, be polite and humble as hell and get their name. Take notes. If you get the answer you want, go in person to the DMV, about 10 am and not near the end of the month (or another less busy time.)

Start the conversation with "I hope you can help me", not "I've got a problem". Smile, be nice, they are the expert.

If they are unsure, then and only then say you talked to so-and-so and they said you could do it this way. The person in your local office is in control though so if they suggest a different way that works, go with that.

30. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

No, they just hate people.