Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Paint Ideas Needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bagged_Biscayne, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Bagged_Biscayne

Bagged_Biscayne

I have a 1960 Biscayne. I'm keeping the car Satin Black and the wheels are gonna stay the same color. My question is, should I paint the top black to match the car? Do a green with a lot of metal flake? Do a pearl? Lace? Maybe some scallops? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as I'm lost and dont know what to do lol

Attached Files:

2. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I am on a similar journey. ...different car, though. I have been collecting example pictures of the stuff I like - same stuff you are thinking about: 'flake, lace, scallops, etc. There are many things to consider. What looks right on my car's lines in my car's color may not look right on your car.

For every styling option you listed, there are many, many things to consider.

Once I find what I like then I have to figure out what I can do myself.

So, I am sharing my experience that nobody can say with certainty what you should do with your car without more background and guidance from you. Even then, it will be hard to narrow it down until you see what "feels right"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Bagged_Biscayne

Bagged_Biscayne

True very true. I like flake tops and scallops but either or not both lol. I'm kinda leaning towards the flake top. Like a bright but deep (no fluorescent or neon colors) with a shit load of gold metal flake. But I also think scallops would look good on the car because it has a lot of sharp body lines

4. TX55Truck

TX55Truck

Flake the top and the dash panels to match, looks killer!!
    You've got a very nice car either way!

5. Squablow

Squablow

If you really want to leave the body flat black, I think the white that's on the roof is the only color that works with it. A 'flaked top is going to look out of place, it'll look like you're in the process of painting it and you'll have nothing but people tell you how they look forward to seeing the rest of the car painted.

If that were my car and I was wanting to leave the black untouched, I'd leave the white roof too and I'd shop for some non-painted bumpers. That would help break-up the black better than a different paint treatment, if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

6. Just an idea but what about flat blacking the top and doing some seaweed flames over the whole car in a contrasting color. The wheels would need to also be painted the same contrasting color to pull it off though. Too loud?

7. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Hard to beat the classic look of black & white.

8. Bagged_Biscayne

Bagged_Biscayne

Thanks! Your truck is so sweet. I love that body style

Actually the top isnt white. Its the same color as the wheels. Its a mint, toothpaste looking color. Thats why I want to change it cause it does look white.

I was thinking that but the wife doesnt like flames. The car was/is built for her. It took me 2 months talking her out of black and pink......*sigh*

Yes, a buddy told me to paint the roof and doors white and put a big gumball red revolving light on the roof lol

Thanks for all the input guys. They are all great. Keep the ideas coming

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

lower it, thats all.

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

never mind, i see its bagged. guess thats a wrap.

11. v8juice

v8juice

I'd paint the top to match the car

12. White (or slightly off white - Wimbeldon?) top and some scallops in the same.

13. Bagged_Biscayne

Bagged_Biscayne

Yeah, It is bagged. Its as low as I can go, doesnt lay frame, but it still has drum brakes all the way around. When I convert to disc I'll get the drop spindles

I'm thinking thats the route I'm gonna go

Yeah, I'm tossin that idea around as well

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Paint the roof white( or mint green again), but do a little silver flake in the paint.I'd pinstripe the body to add a little flavor to the stew- with a flat black base you could use almost any color ( or colors e.g. white and red or white and mint green (roof tie-in) ,purple and green look cool on black.... pink?( well maybe not pink!) Not big crazy elaborate stuff; just subtle old style stripes to highlite some areas ( and make others less noticeable at the same time.) Good luck with it whatever you do. Main thing- have fun. Mike

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  15. skooch

skooch

Dude, are those nazi symbols on your fenders?

16. Bagged_Biscayne

Bagged_Biscayne

Yeah, I'm kinda glad you said purple and green would look good. The wife through up that color combo but I didnt know if it would look right.

Yes, yes they are but they are not intended for that use. I wanted something different. Even though they never made a Biscayne SS. I was kinda going for the "s"' for the band KISS and didnt realize it till after it was done......shoulda thought it through....

17. indyjps

indyjps

Gloss black roof, lace panels down the sides, the hood, and decklid in gloss black with a dark charcoal pinstripe. Lose the ss lightning bolts, could put you in a bad spot.

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

To be honest, if you are dead set on keepin it satin black and keepin the same wheels,the same color etc. I cant see a diffrent color top making that much of a diffrence either way.

On a diffrent note this is one of my favorite cars of all time.
    Just pretend the wheels are 15 inch classic 5 spokes too keep things appropriate.

Attached Files:

19. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

the best thing that can happen to a 60 is a 59 front bumper...

20. Muttley

Muttley

Well, having Sig Runes on your car certainly is different.

21. A big swastika on the roof would really set it off

sent via classroom note. pass it on

22. Bagged_Biscayne

Bagged_Biscayne

Thanks guys! And yeah.....they are coming off next time I go to the garage