Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, just look, I guess...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott B, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

After years of lurking and a few years as a member, I finally feel like I have something to post. Something to post beyond jack-ass comments and doofy questions, at least.

Like I said, I have been watching closely for a few years now. My driver Impala still makes me happy, but I have been wanting to build something. After at mis-started custom project, a relocation and some time - I have started to put together a T modified project.

I have learned most of what I know from this place, so thank you all. Special thanks to T-Man, Sam and Terry, who have always listened to my questions and given straight answers. Thanks to the boss and everyone else, too. I would be screwed and more clueless, if not for this place...

The whole "cheap car" discussion has been floated around again, and sort of prompted this. I am absolutley bucks down. I am making some stuff that would be easier to buy. To date, there is probably still a few thousand dollars worth of stuff piled in my garage, if I don't really count all of the little stuff. To all of the other new guys, it takes some dough and a whole hell of a lot of work.

I wonder why more people aren't doing it, now that I have gotten off the couch and away from the computer. Go out to the garage after you have read this, do something or at least think about doing something. It is more fun than looking at my delicately stacked pile of parts...

Attached Files:

2. THats pretty sweet.

3. Looks good mocked up, now get to cuttin' and fabricratin'

Oh, and nice rearend......

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

aww, i think i have a speck on sentiment in my eye...

5. I wanna see the Impala!!!:D

Travis

6. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

I guess I should say - I am making things that would be easier to buy, but I am also ditching some things that I have bought. We all like looking at cool cars. Some of the things that I shelled out cash for, now don't look right to me. I will make those bits myself, now, to get things right.

One of my peaves are those damned Slant rad caps, as an example. You can make tradition what ever you want it to be, but make things look right. Save the dollars where you can, but save them for the right reasons. People look at everything. I do, at least.

When you are building, make decisions for the right reasons.

I'll shut up now. There is shit to do in the garage...

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Looks great Dusty!
    Yep, there's alot of good teachers here and its obvious your also a good student!
    Good job!

8. flatoz

flatoz

i think I just saw a hot rod

9. Rolf

Rolf

Amen Brother...amen.

Also, gimme some specs on the car...please...

10. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

Spec's, uhm.

Well, the frame is 2x4 tube. Tapered at both ends, with a "Bleed Sweep" in the middle. I used the sweep to get some height at both ends, maybe two inches at both ends? There is a two inch step at the read, too. Model A cross members at both ends.

There is a Magnum axle up front, with the standard four inch drop. It'll be located with those "40 split bones. I am still thinking about steering, but a (VW, shhh) bus box is on my mind.

Out back, some experimentation, with a Chevy rear located by another set of split "40 front bones and an A front bone as a torque arm - kind of like T-Man's and Slag's set up, but with the spring in front of the axle.

Motivation will be from a mid-60's 327 and an aluminum Powerglide. Terry had the 50's Chevy rear for me. Most of that will get rebuilt, but not much more. Got to keep my wife and wallet from killing me...

11. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

The Impala is a "66. It is a numbers matching big block car and is built to look factory. I don't think that there is much to improve upon, visually at least. Not quite what this place is about though, and I got no pic's handy...

12. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I personally like the beer can as a form of measurment for wishbone height.:D

13. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

I developed system of measurement - similar to what the Greeks developed in ancient times. Only mine is based on beer cans, and applies to everything; time, volume and distance.

14. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your rod is coming along nice Scott....you should be proud. I remember looking at that Chev (?) project in your garage in Portland and saying to myself "he's bitin' off a big chunk for his first project" Now look at you........rock on.............
    Rick

15. muffman58

muffman58

Look`s like somebody`s on the right track! Very cool & Keep us posted with updates. I too am in the middle of a 27T build up & am very interested in what other ideas are out there.

16. tim burns

tim burns
    from Oregon

looks great so far. keep the progress pics coming

17. 53chieftian

53chieftian

why is the floor so clean? Oh yeah nice ride too!:D keep up the good work!

18. Crease

Crease

Great lookin mockup!

You gonna drink that beer?

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks great! Get er done!

20. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I wish my shop was that clean!
    Do not worry about the vw van steering box, they work great, that is what I am running on my modified.:eek:

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Looks great!!
    people always ask me "How do you get started ?"
    I tell them every project starts the same ,I sweep the floor ,and I continue to sweep until I start to get a plan.
    I never have a clue though, just ask my wife.

22. Darwin

Darwin

I like the fact that the front end is not suicided. Even though the frame is "stretched" the conventional crossmember gives it a tidier more compact, more "hot rod" feel without looking too short. A 29 grille shell would finish off the look perfectly.