Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tube Axle King Pin retention

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pocket Nick, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there can identify this make of axle on a car I'm working on for someone. It's a tube type straight axle and it can accommodate ford king pins and spindles but the hole for the kingpin retaining stud does not line up with the notch in the kingpins themselves. What do I have here? The owner does not know much about it as it was his late fathers project car ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396048858.110008.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396048893.352878.jpg and he just wants to finish it in his memory.

RLFFRL

2. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Could be an old Dodge axle.. I think they were bowed like that in the middle.. Not sure what you could do on the spindle end.. I wouldn't use that axle myself but maybe it's salvageable...

4. Possibly, that's what I thought too seeing as its running a dodge hemi. I want to recommend that he get a ford style axle but I know he wants to use as much of his fathers originally planned parts as possible. I was thinking maybe the holes can be welded shut and have a machinist bore new holes for the correct retaining pin. Mostly I wanted to know what the heck this was out of.

RLFFRL

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

mid 30s mopar with the spring pads ground off and wishbone mounts installed.

6. jrsiron

jrsiron

Tap the small hole and use a set screw to hold kingpin in. That is if everything else will work

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You could grind another notch in the king pins. Or get the correct Dodge king pins. They are available and not expensive.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Been there done that. I did a dodge axle on my model T build. I used ford spindles and king pins. I milled a flat on the king pins and used the dodge set bolt and retainer.

9. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

I don't know nothing, so I will ask: Is there a thrust bearing that goes under the axle in the first picture?

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

There is its just like a ford axle with ford spindles.

11. Cool, right on, thanks for all the suggestions. Using the dodge kingpins or milling the flat into the ford ones sounds like the way to go.

RLFFRL

12. Andy

Andy

You could use 37-41 spindles and the king pins from the 42-48 spindles. That would move the notch down. I had to shorten some later spindles for clearance. You could measure some and see if moving the notch down .25 will make it work.

13. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

The easiest way to handle the king pin lock issue is follow Jrsiron suggestion find which hole contacts the king pin at the squarest angle and tap it so you can use an allen set screw for a kin pin lock, works every time and is easy to do. If none of the holes line up weld up the holes so they dont pickup water and drill and tap the boss for a 3/16 allen set screw where it will contact the king pin square when tightened. The king pin does not turn, the spindle turns on the bushings so it does not have to be anchored like a rock just secure to prevent spinning.

14. sadsack

sadsack

that's mopar.
    sadsack