Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with AN barbed fittings??? Need some helpful advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiat gasser, Mar 27, 2014.

1. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I am running the fuel line on my Fiat and am using rubber fuel line and AN barbed fittings. I'm having a tough time getting the hose to seat all the way down on the fitting. I can get it to slip over the second barb but it will not go the extra 1/4" to be fully on. I have tried heating, oiling and everything next to hammering to death. Any help or advice to the best way to install the hose is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of one of the fittings. #6AN fitting. I can get the hose over the two barbs but not up to the rubber seal at the top.

3. I have a bottle of lube designed just for that job. I bought it at Oil Filter Service where I get my fittings. Not sure exactly what it is and I'm home now. Will look tomorrow and tell you what it is. I had some trouble with using Silicone lube when I first started doing A.N. fittings. They recomended this stuff and getting a bottle of it was the end of that issue.
    The Wizzard

4. fatkoop

fatkoop

Are you using the right hose? Push-on specific hose is needed for those fittings, regular hose just won't work, it can't stretch over the barb and return to correct shape.

5. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I am using Russell black fuel hose. As far as I can tell it is made for use with the AN fittings.

6. Fiat gasser, not sure this is your problem but the hose end need to match the hose. Russell does have a few different hoses.

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used those type of fittings many times. As already said, the hose does need to be the correct type, size and lubed up, but it also takes quite some muscle and technique to push them home. If you're not well blessed in those departments or perhaps are not quite as you used to be due to the effluxion of time, or the gathering of experiences (neither of which i'm sure affect any readers here :eek:), I can imagine it'd be a right struggle. But when the stars align, easy peasy, right up to the hilt in one, smooth, steady, firm movement - what were we talking about again? :)

Chris

8. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said above, lube and brute strength usually gets it done. They also make these:
    [​IMG]

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the exact same issue. Sounds crazy but I boiled some water and put the ends of the hose in for a bit. It went right one.

10. "Mystery Lube",,,, Well not quite. How about the "Correct Lube" ? I agree there are several ways to get any job done. Working in my Kitchen isn't a common practice for me so the Boiling Water thing isn't on my list. I prefer the recomended way for a lot of things, Hose assembly being one of them. This product is made by Eaton and is actually called Hose Assembly Lube. There part number 222070. It won't damage the hose like a lot of things and doesn't hang on the hose and continue to be slippery that could cause the hose to move under pressure. It also won't contaminate Fuel or Hyd fluid. It's made for this job and does it very well.
    The Wizzard

11. AZbent

AZbent

If you go to the eaa website there is short video on how to assemble the fittings. You may be missing some thing or a step.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. this does not sound crazy at all. If the right hose this is a good idea.

13. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I'm a big fan of Push-Lok hose & fittings these days. I've been using water soluble KY Warming Gel Personal Lubricant while pushing the hose and fitting together against a block of wood in the vice. It'll also raise some eyebrows when your buddies see it on your workbench.

14. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]
    A big thank you to everyone who helped me here. It took a little heat and a little extra lube and they pressed on nicely. The smaller hose for the 6AN fitting was a lot more difficult to work with than the larger 8AN hose. The larger hose was much more forgiving and it took less heat to make it work it's way on. Thanks again especially for the KY advice. I didn't try using it but sure got a good chuckle out of it.:D:):eek:

15. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]
    Another pic for appreciation.

16. I was just looking at these photos. The thought came to me that "IF" your going racing with your Fiat you might be in trouble. N.H.R.A. rule #1.5 in general Regulations states that maximum of 12" Total of rubber hose can be used in any non stock fuel system. Not sure if that matters to you or includes you but thought I'd throw that out to ya.
    The Wizzard

17. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I suggest that you look at having some SS braided PTFE lined hoses made up with permanent "Crimped/Swaged on" AN ends. The hoses can be pressure tested and you can feel safe using them without fear of the ends leaking due to assembly error, the wrong type of assembly lube, twisting or general installation errors common to most home hobbyist. I have work since1972 in the Fluid handling industry and I have seen all types of workmanship that border on unsafe. Look at Aeroquip & Parker websites for installation tips. I don't use any hoses on my cars that are not PTFE lined SS. (only the high temp Silicone for my radiator connections)