Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects help need on snap on tool box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.Sharp, Mar 27, 2014.

1. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

Has anyone removed the door that covers the drawers on a top box? I recently purchased a top box and one of the PO's destroyed the drawer cover. I need to get it off so I can weld it up and straighten the hinge back out. Does anyone know if there is a pin in the piano hinge that you can remove to split the hinge apart? Any advise would be much appreciated. This is my first restore of an old tool box.

Thank you,

2. aaggie

aaggie

Every piano hinge I ever saw had a long wire pin through it so it could flex. Usually the end finger is crimped against the wire so it can't work it's way out. To remove it you find the crimp and squeeze it with a pair of pliers to release the crimp then take a small punch the same size as the wire and tap the pin out. Once the end of the pin is out you can usually grab it with pliers and pull it the rest of the way.

3. PackardV8

PackardV8

You need to get it on over to the sister site, Garage Journal. There are many Snap-on box experts there.

Be prepared with photos and the model number and date off the top right corner.

jack vines

4. X2 Garage Journal kicks ass!!!:D

5. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

I started working on the box door last night after not being able to get the hinge pin out. I also looked for the date stamp. I either don't know exactly where to look or it has too thick of paint on it to read it. Here are a couple pics so far.

Attached Files:

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

GJ also has a BUNCH of Snap-on bot restorations, finished and ongoing, under discussion in the tool section. Experts, in many cases. Go.
    Date will be stamped on back surface.