Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Father, son, son build....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Mar 28, 2014.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Me and my 2 boys have been looking around for a little while for a car to build... Was about to get a 52 chevy but I was looking into it and I think the car will be a little to big for them to start on, and parts are a little to expensive (and not very good from what I hear)... So I think were gonna go this route...

1963 Falcon with a mustang 2 front suspension (I wouldnt have used it but its already there so Ill leave it...)

Has front discs and 5 lugs all around... Theyre picking most of everything but Ive gotta come up with some options for a motor... I dont wanna do a 289/302 since everyone does those... Whats some interesting options? Im thinking an auto, just for ease of doing it...

Im looking through the "falcons done right" and getting some ideas.

My boys are 3 and 6... The 3 year old already comes down to my shop and "helps" me out when the old lady can bring him down. He loves old cars. The 6 year old is my step son (his dad is never around so hes my son lol) and im trying to teach him some work ethic and get him off the tv and video games...

They want it to be Orange flake with pearl white stripes on the sides (inside that body line) and tan interior...

Attached Files:

2. pumpman

pumpman

Good for you man, nothing like a car project to have fun and teach them about hard work. Looks like between working with the boys and the car you are going to be one busy dude. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

289's and 302's Suck!........find a hemi and straight axle Cut out those rear wheel wells.....The Only thing better than your boys helping you build a car is......Them helping you build A race car.....LOL.....You may just want something to tool around town in, But for a 3 and 6 year old They want something to Go Fast!!......I have 4 young boys of my own and know all too well what kind of car they want...LOL

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. Kinky6

Kinky6

If you're thinking about your budget, you might contact some Mustang shops in your area. You might be able to get a good 200" w/ a C4 for a few hundred and haul it away, as the pony owners often swap out their "T" code drive line.

There's a bunch of inexpensive power upgrades for the six, and they look right in an early Falcon.

Good Luck, Kinky6 :cool:

5. Veach

Veach

Great to hear about them Boys as I did the same and now the Grandkids. Welcome BTW 63s are easy to work on as they have room for a V8 289/302s which I think is the way to go. I just finished a 60 2dr Wagon 347/5sd/9" not real easy on a 60 because of no room. Find a mid 90s Mustang if you can buy the car I bought one for 800 that was in good shape. The 302/5sd and all the parts fit right in to include pulling the brake and clutch assembly now you have power brakes. If you shoot me a PM I will give you my number and tell you how to make it work without spending much money Later Veach

6. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Haha, yep everything has to go fast... Only thing is as long as its loud and looks like its fast it is fast... They remind me of honda guys sometimes, haha. I live on a dirt road so I think race cars are out of the picture, maybe when they get older well chop it back up and start over...

By the way whats a 347? stroked 302?

7. Bagged_Biscayne

Bagged_Biscayne

I'd do the inline 6. Maybe a 200 or a 300......not a Ford guy, dont know if the 300 would fit but I know a 200 will. You can "Soup" up a inline and make it run. Plus they are different.

8. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

... Im not a ford guy either... So its a learning experience for me also... Only fords Ive worked on are 1940 and older... O and a 56 t bird...

9. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, the 300", and the 240" (same block size) are too big to fit unless you really start moving stuff around.

The 200" is the same basic block as the 144/170; the 250" is almost the same w/ a taller block. It can be made to fit by dropping engine mounts a tad bit. FordSix.com forums have how-to discussions on doing this.

:cool:

10. indyjps

indyjps

Well a small block chevy in a falcon would be different, and it will piss everyone off. 5.0 t-5 is done alot because it works so well. 347 is a stroked 302, run the 302 as is and pull it in a few years to stroke it. Re arch the rear wheelwells and paint it flake orange that will make it different. Looking forward to the update on it.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

289/302, if cost is a factor, would be my choice. There's a reason everyone's using them.

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

Strip out a wrecked Mustang and go to town. I put a 302 with a 4 spd out of an 89 mustang in a Model A tudor and the thing went like hell. Bought it from a kid who blew the rear end out and it sat in his old man's yard for a bit. Then he bought another mustang, borrowed $200. from his father to register it and didn't pay him back.The old man got pissed,knew I was looking for a motor, and sold the whole rig to me for $200. Drove that thing everywhere for three years with no problems and sold it last fall to buy a '31 coupe.Whatever you do, it's cool the kids are involved- they'll probably want a "hotwheels" gasser !! Good luck, have fun, be safe.

13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Alright so we bought the car... Rust outside but none in the floors or structure so its all good... The boys fell in love with it, now to drag it home... Coming home Monday...

Heres the boys looking planning what they wanna do and they checked it out from top to bottom. I was a very proud dad...

Attached Files:

14. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Your right! I with draw my remark about 302's sucking....As I used a 302 one time. It was one of the best running engines I ever owned. We pulled it out of my cousins 69 camaro Z28 and I stuck it in my 67 chevy II....Man that sucker would run!!.....So your right Not all 302's are bad!!.....LOL:D:D:D Oh yeah I talked him out of the M21 Also.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  15. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

The car made it home... The boys didnt know I actually got it... Picked them up from school and came home... Parked in front of the garage and Tadaa!!!!

They were very excited... Now to clean it out and push it in the garage...

Theres also a dead couch in the garage that needs a good fire... lol

Attached Files:

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

17. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

good on you for taking the time to teach your boys and I see you made one of them wear a mask for protection. Best of luck to you and your boys on the build.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I really like those European sizes cars. And the early falcon is one of my favorits.
    Did'nt Wally parks own a Bad ass crossbreed mutant Ford running a big block Chevy?

But the Chevy 302/m21 would be awesome in a '63 falcon!