Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Awesome

2. I came across this box a few years back and it was missing some latches. To me, it has the perfect patina and I wanted to put it back to work. What to do?

A few months back, I sent it to Eric at Hot Rod Leather to work me up some new hardware. They are an Alliance Member. I told him basically what I was looking for and then gave him artistic license to take it from there. This is the result. I like.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385077485.829560.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385077502.005519.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Okie Pete likes this.
  3. Adrian C

Adrian C
    from South UK

Hi to you all.I'm new to this forum.I'm in the UK.

I am renovating several snap on vintage roll cabs and topboxes and have a problem with the re construction of one of them

The (approx. mid 70's) roll cab has its lock on the right hand SIDE of the cab where as most have that in the center.

Problem is.when I fit the inner sidewall back into its correct location ,the lock mech jams up and won't lift the bar.

This lock itsself hasn't worked for years and was totally seized but I managed to free it out.The small arm on the end of it activates the vertical bar with the screw-in studs which locks the box up.

It has been suggested that a spring could be missing.That makes a lot of sense.

Anyone know about how these side lockers work?
    Be great to hear from you.

Regards

Adrian C

4. Adrian C

Adrian C
    from South UK

This is a shot I took before I started to renovate.Those studs screw in.

[​IMG]

5. Adrian C

Adrian C
    from South UK

6. Adrian C

Adrian C
    from South UK

I have now sorted out the problem with the locking bar.
    Tried everthing,but I just took the studs off the bar,unscrewed them ,and put them back.
    Now works like it should. A spring,wasn't' required ,like I thought it it may have done.
    This may be helpful if someone else works on a side locking roll cab.

Rothko

7. georgiamite

georgiamite

What a great forum. I'm tired of new Snap-On and other tool boxes and all i'm interested in now are vintage boxes. Another obsession!!!! I'm in search of two vintage boxes. A complete set of the circa 1959 blue Huot tool boxes in mint condition and the circa 1965 Snap-On KRL500 series boxes, again in mint condition. If anyone has something like this and are willing to part with them please let me know. Jim

8. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

If you have not done so already, check out the Garage Journal site. There is a tool discussion category on their forum which will put you in contact with many people who may be able to help you in your search.

9. mofoco1

mofoco1
    from clovis, ca

Loved your tool box so much i got a couple. Now was your winged toolbox aluminum or did you just wheel it? I know they made both is why an aluminum and a steel version. Thanks...Mo

10. I've got one of those for my glass tools and supplies.

11. 3window31

3window31
    from AZ

This is a vintage Mac tool box I repainted. The Lyon tool box was used in the military, I'm not sure when it was made. These are some vintage hammers that have never been used, The ball peen hammer with the orange handle is a Craftsman, One of the green handle hammers is a Proto and the other is a Plomb, they have not made Plomb since 1948.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

Can anyone tell me anything about this tool box I just got it off craigs list and am going to use it for my sand paper and body tools.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

it's cool

14. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I just picked this up on the HAMB recently. It's an early 1940's Lincoln Engineering Co "lubrication station". Needs some work and a little imagination and this will be a cool tool storage unit. Don't see these too often. It's 10 feet long!

[​IMG]

15. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

Wow !!! Thats really COOL !!!! Great Idea !!!

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

So that's why my Plomb wrenches look like they've been through a war! ;)

17. BillyG

BillyG

[​IMG][/IMG]I've really become interested in old Craftsman boxes recently. Some of you have picked up some very nice examples. Here are mine. The one with stickers has been mine since new in the late 60's. The round top if very unique, I got from a Garage Journal friend. [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. fivebar

fivebar

Seen one like this at a farmers market and went back to get it and you know story..gone.

Very cool one

19. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I have one of those also. I think they are military surplus but I'm not sure

Mine was given to me by my neighbor who was cleaning up his garage.

Bobby

20. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

Bobby Got any pics of it and is there any names on it?

21. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I thought I had some pics but I couldn't find them last night. I'll take some pics tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there is some kind of name on it because I did a Google search on it after I got it.

I'll try to get something posted on it tomorrow

Bobby

22. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Okie Pete likes this.
  23. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

Thanks for the info i'll look into it tonight. your box must be a little older than mine the corners are round on yours and mine are square.

24. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

The top surface of mine is a bit different also. Its not flat and has the recessed area. Also, mine has the goofy backsplash looking thingy that has knockouts that would fit a standard 2 place electrical outlet.

25. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

26. Mine. ..

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  27. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Nice boxes! I have that same cantilever top Kennedy box. Mine is red also, but was told they were painted in wrinkle paint which mine is not.
    Any idea what year it is? Thanks. Brad.

28. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

[​IMG]Just picked this one up a while back. Even came with keys! Bottom seems to be 1972 vintage. Can't seem to locate an numbers stamped on the top box. Going to restore it like I did on my other same era Craftsman roll-a-way.

Okie Pete likes this.
  29. GraplingWookie

GraplingWookie
    from Oregon

I have Montgomery Ward Powr Kraft two piece rolling chest toolbox (at least 60 yrs old).

Installing new casters on the bottom (rolling) piece, I turned the chest upside down. Now the drawers are all locked and I can't figure out how to unlock them.

Any help would be appreciated.

30. Thumper

Thumper

LOL...nice avatar