Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Gomez popped in this afternoon to help out with the first part of the body, I sometimes wish I had been born an octopus as trying to get things true needed several hands
    We placed the cowl section in the correct place and took lots & lots of measurements, we then transferred these to a sheet of 1/2" plywood, next we cut the shape into it and then slowly sanded it to shape. Just a few screws holding it the moment until I glass the floor in for good.

I know it don't look much but your looking at 4 hours work here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Does anyone have a picture of a stock Willys pickup cab from the rear ???

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

It looks just like the cab that you have except the notches cut out at the bottom I would take one of mine for you but I would have to take the bed off Keep up the good work

Chrome don't get ya home

4. 3day

3day
    from UK

Here you go Steve

Attached Files:

5. 3day

3day
    from UK

One more

Attached Files:

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude thats helpfull, I'm refilling the notches shortly.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Bob thats great, Isn't the Hamb great, I searched around for ages looking for a pic of the cab rear and couldn't find anything, should of asked here first :cool:

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Scratching around for something to do last night so thought I would fit the radiator, The rad is a 32 ford aluminium jobbie so most of the brackets had to go and be replaced by something more suitable, made them up in 1/8" aluminium and welded them in place, the upper mount I reshaped and used.
    Bottom mounts are a set of stainless 32 Ford mounts.
    The bars are 3/8" thick wall stainless tube with 5/16" rose joints screwed into them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Bit of a wasted day today as been stuck on M25 most of the day, thought I would do a quick run to the airport to pick peoples parts up

Did get a bit done though, I trimmed off the top of the new firewall and trimmed the corresponding area on the cab, got them all lined up and secured with bits of aluminium sheet & self tappers.
    There is a very good reason for making the cut here as the swage line below the windscreen is different on a 41/42 and this cab is a 40.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Weasel

Weasel

Not only that, but the windshield on the 1941/42 is 7/8" shorter due to the cowl being modified for cowl wipers. There are some that might argue that it is not so, but I can assure you it is. I have had both 1940 and 1941 Willys side by side and measured them and nowadays I can take one look from a distance and immediately spot a 441/442. The 1941/42 garnish mouldings are too short for the 1937-40 windshield. That's my piece of useless trivia for the day....

11. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

Love your setup on your radiator, I take it the spring's on the lower mounts are to help reduce vibration?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yep I remember you mentioning it before Guido and I checked, my coupe is definitely slightly shorter than this 40 cab.

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

On a 32 they allow flex, I just used them here because I like them and they were on the shelf. They probably won't do anything on this frame as it's mega rigid and has zero flex. Thanks

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Before I can start glassing the cab sections together I needed some rear cab mounts (the front ones are the original mounts which fell just right)

Made these from some 4" x 2" x 1/8" box section, I originally made them like my coupe ones with an angle but decided I had done that way before so decided to put some shape into them, the top plates have 4 holes as this is where my cage will bolt in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres some pics for the welding perverts amongst us :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I polished my rear lamp brackets so heres some pics for the shiny perverts amongst us :)

[​IMG]

IowaMercMan likes this.
  15. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

Coming along nicely. Keep the fab work coming... loving your builds, might have to pick your brains.

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, it should really come on over the next few weeks.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Finally the truth comes out! I knew there was a reason you do such high quality work! You have more than one brain! That's cheatin! :)

18. Ah ha!! Its becoming clearer now!!! Us single brainers take a bit longer to figger it out!!

Awesome work Steve, I love how the bed turned out.

Bill

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys, an extra brain would certainly be useful for sure !!!

20. loudbang

loudbang

You can take mine everybody says I never use it anyway.

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Now I had the rad mounted I decided to fit a fan, was gonna use a flex fan but went with a thermostatically controlled electric for reliability.
    I decided to make a fan shroud for it in aluminium sheet and mount the shroud 1.5" off the rad so the fan would pull from the whole core, made up the shroud and it looked a bit boring so add some stiffening plates to make it slightly more interesting.
    Small round tapped bosses were welded to the sides for the shroud to bolt to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I like the shroud. I wonder if you could remake the fan cage out of 1/8" stainless wire to look like the old house fans from the fifties. Might make it blend more.

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the input, I was gonna cut all the outer parts off the fan and mount it in a welded on 1" high ring which would of hid more of the fan but I reckon it will hardly notice once it's all painted satin black.

24. 1954satan

1954satan

Hey You. Its all coming together very nicely mate. I study your fab work with great admiration and as I said before you have a certain "style & vision" both of which I like a lot. have you ever thought about applying your talents to a motorcycle project? I reckon it would turn out pretty special and unique. looking forward to the fire up vid of the coupe.

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Finished the install of the trans cooler tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

To be honest mate I've never had any interest in bikes, I had fast Jap bikes for a short period years ago but it just didn't do anything for me.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Today has mostly been taken up doing a few minor changes on my Coupe but I did get the radiator back in place and bolted the front panels together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Steve, That is going to be one NEAT Shop Truck. Will you also run it in one of the lower classes ? Might be fun to lift the front with the rears wrinkling !

Dave

Retired after 41 Years . . . . . Yipee . . . .

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Dave, it mostly will be just a driver but my Sue has expressed an interest in putting it down the strip in the slower classes, watch this space :D

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yesterday was another day of measuring and more measuring but made good progress, my pal Gomez came over to hold the end of the tape which helped no end.
    We made up a flat surface to sit the body on which helped stabilize everything, I'm not sure of whether this body has ever been an actual car or not because we found some very odd things with it First thing we found was all though the door inners sort of fitted the openings they were an odd shape, cut some bits out to correct this and will reglass them the right shape later. the inners are actually too short width ways but I can fix that quite easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The out door skins had us scratching our heads for a while as they were both way too long for the openings even though the body & doors had hinges on them Luckily I had the dimensions from a steel truck and when checked we found the door skins were way out !!!, We also found one door was 1.5" longer than the other So out with the cutting wheel and they were sliced down to the correct size You can see in the second pic there are no cutouts for the hinges and the front of the door is clearly too long, I can only assume someone started this but never finished it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit more measuring and trimming we got them fitting correctly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]