Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 Dodge truck w/ 270 Hemi build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8thdaycr8, Mar 27, 2014.

1. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Thought I'd start a build thread on my '38 Dodge truck even though I've had it "built" for the past few years. I purchased it back in 2004 but really didn't start the build until 2007/2008. Looking back, I think I should have kept the original 251 flathead with the Edmunds 2x1 intake. At least for another project. The suspension is not "traditional" but it's what I choose for my type of driving and use. The goal was to have a vintage hot rod motor, full fender truck with upgraded frame and suspension.

This is my first frame off build and I want to thank Bill and Jeff at the shop for helping me get it this far. I don't have near the amount of experience and talent as most of the guys on this site, but we all have to start some time.

Pictures of the truck in it's white/yellow color are from 2008 when the mock up was complete. Pictures of the truck w/ black primer are more recent (this year). I'm going to post the pictures I have for now and will throw in some pics from when I first started.

The motor I'm using for now is a used, stock 270 Dodge Hemi, just to get it running. I have another 270 block that's been machined and will be built for the 4-71 blower that's going on top. I'd like to run a 3x2 setup on top but just may use a 4 bbl as suggested. Quick thanks to 73RR and TR Waters for their knowledge and help on this motor build. The 4-71 still needs the drive kit (need to finish measurments). Still 50/50 on the stock water pump vs. SBC water pump kit. Stock radiator will be rebuilt/resized to make it work with this setup.

Attached Files:

2. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Current pics (from the last year).

Attached Files:

3. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

I'll be putting the fenders and bed on the truck in the next week or so because I need to get a weight certificate in order to register it.

Attached Files:

4. monc440

monc440

Nice. I love it! Keep the pics coming. I would like to see engne build pics when you do the blower engine. What cam are you going to run with the blower?

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I like it a lot! What will the wheels and tires be?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Monc440- I have a stock cam that's be reground and I have '"performance" cam and lifters that was purchased from Rock Auto in the 50's or 60's (from what I was told). I need to find the specs on that one. I have studs and a girdle that will be used on the bottom end.

young'n'poor- For now I have 15x7 Mopar steel wheels on the back with the Firestone cheater slicks on the rear. I plan on going with 15x8 steel smoothie wheels. The fronts wheels and tires I haven't purchased yet but they will be 15x6 steel wheels with 2' whitewalls. Radial or biasply or maybe those new radial/biasply tires that just came out.

7. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Nice truck!

Do you have to notch the fenders to clear the 270? Putting the 331 in mine was a squeeze, I had to cut the fenders a little, and the hood sides no longer fit. I have since found a 241 Red Ram, I may put it in someday.

8. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

I will have to notch the fenders just a bit. I did not have the valve covers available when these pictures were taken. When I mount the fenders this week I'll be able to tell how much. This is why I went with the Dodge Hemi as opposed to the Chrysler Hemi. I know I did not want the hood sides, nor did I want to have a hood. I may rethink the hood install at a later time.

Attached Files:

9. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Did you make your own blower manifold ?????

10. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

I didn't make it. There's a guy in Oklahoma who made it for me back in '07. Problem is that the holes don't line up well. It will need to come apart and be redone. The disc behind the pop off valve is too big and it's difficult to get a bolt in there. I think I may just get an Offy 4 bbl manifold and have it machined to fit a blower plate. This way the bolts are easier to access and torque down. Even with small hands, trying to get the bolts in there and tightened down is a bitch.

Attached Files:

11. Rockbird

Rockbird

What did you use for a oil pan? I'm assuming you needed a rear sump pan.

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Cool truck. It would be nice to see an update.

13. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Rockbird- Yes, I had to convert the front sump pan to a rear pump. 3 of the bolt holes don't line up properly and it will need to be redone as well.
    270 hemi in place .jpg 270 hemi in place side pic.jpg 270 hemi 727 trans.jpg

14. 73RR

73RR

Did you ever find the spec's on that 'performance' cam?

15. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

After a long hiatus it's time to update this post as it's been too many years gone by. Since I've last posted, I've been putting the truck back together, hoping to have it running and driving by the end of the year. I finally found a complete blower setup for the 270 and have 50% of the parts finished for final assembly. Headers will need to be redone as they interfere with the fender support brackets.

Attached Files:

16. Cool truck. Would it be easier to rework the fender supports instead of the headers?

17. OldVibes

OldVibes
    from Wisconsin

just ran across this old thread.....do you still have it? what did you end up doing for a blower manifold?

18. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

I still have the truck and engine. Three years later and I’m still working on it. The blower manifold was a 4-71 welded onto an Offy manifold. I’m deciding on where I want put the alternator, and I’m thinking of putting down low on the passenger side. Pulley sizes and alignment is next on the to do list.

OldVibes likes this.
  19. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

OldVibes, dwollam and Budget36 like this.