Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Holy Crap..... I joined the Deuce club!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Mar 23, 2014.

1. That's just mean.....

2. Thanks for the info.

Allan

3. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Damn! That Deuce is Nice! I hope to own one someday.... Congrats!

4. Actually, you'd be better off adding five lug rotors (cheap and easy to find in the aftermarket) to that MII and then your wheel selection improves exponentially. Redrilling the rear axles and drums should be cheap too (or maybe 5 lug axles are easy to find as replacements as well) - is it an 8" Ford under the back?

Steve

5. I believe it's an 8" but supposedly the V6 rears have a weird tapered axle housing so they can share axles with the 6-3/4" rear?

6. Another question for all of you.

Is this seat riser original? I really need to find a way to create some headroom. Slouching isn't going to cut it. Any suggestions?

9B3B9959-67F1-400C-8FA7-DCDB86696B34_zpsvxvwvxow.JPG
    Thanks in advance.

Allan

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'd say to remove the seat and then see if the base could be cut down to lower the whole seat down.

Not sure if the riser or seat is a redone original.

If that doesn't work a proper seat could be sourced from a seat builder.

8. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

WHHOOOOO SLOOOOWWW Down now!! don't get ahead of yourself, You can't be a full member until you go through the club initiation process and take the oath. However you canada guys are lucky you only have to eat 1 live chicken. LOL

9. Went and had a 1/2 hour discussion with Wally this afternoon about the car. He loaned me a couple of "before" photos from 1974 I'll scan tomorrow at work and post.
    I think I'll be able to fix the seat. He told me the riser is hardwood 2x4 carved to shape and stained. Funny.

10. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

Originally the 5 window seat was a one piece frame (metal back, bottom and side bolsters) that were covered on the exposed metal. The cushions attached to/ fit in that. The base was flat with fairly flat seat tracks on both sides with a slide lock down in the center. All this straddled a sump in the floor. I will try to get pics for you.
    Jim

11. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

12. Well another thing on the to do list. The car actually has the robust 6-3/4" rear end........ I guess as suggested the easiest solution is a 8" from a Mustang II? Any other options? I don't think this will stand up to a couple more cylinders :)

634A509D-CDB3-4FCD-9502-610AE08765F2_zpsitpvjkb7.JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  13. As I mentioned, I went and had a good visit with Wally yesterday and found a little more about the history of the car. He lent me a few photos to scan........ here it is in 1974 when he bought it in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

TBBefore_zpse1e6b956.JPG

Back in Alberta.

32Before_zpsa3d8e9d0.JPEG

I wish he had kept the dash.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

You struck gold!

15. This is the right plan. I would't tear the IFS out of a car that nice unless the fenders are coming off too. Tires & wheels, play with the stance, and a good cut & buff would be all I would worry about for awhile.

Neat car!

16. I picked up a rear spreader bar to replace the tire mount one on the car, but that is going to dictate a new gas tank as the current tank is center feed through the center of the spare tire...... I'm assuming the tank isn't correct? I guess I'll need a new tank cover as well. I did pick up some period correct front signal lights (actually 32 cowl lights) but I need to figure out how to mount them..... so that will have to be a separate update.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For the seat I'd probably ditch what was there with the high tech wood base :) and go with a seat from these guys.

http://www.hotrodseats.com/

I missed the wood when looking at the pictures :)

I think that the best rear end for the deuce is a Maverick 8" probably the perfect width at 56.5".

18. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Man I love this pic....Brings back memorys of what our back yard looked like growing up. My dad always had some kind of old tin laying around. I would play in old bodies and with a young kids imagination I would win the indy 500 everyday. And Today I am the same way, My neighbors tell me that I should call those guys on "American Pickers" to come to my place. They don't even have a clue...My backyard looks like a junkyard, And I wouldn't have it any other way...LOL

19. That is awesome!

20. tinmann

tinmann

I agree.

My only advice is...... Do your upgrading one small step at a time. Save the more involved projects for winter. Keep driving it.

21. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

While it is the right width,the maverick rear has the pumpkin sitting off to one side and looks goofy, the best rear is a halibrand quickchange with banjo bells, but ater that is the 57 ford 9" pumpkin is centered and 9" parts are everywhere.

22. I agree with both of you. My current plan is to replace the rear with a '57 9" (I have a line on one) and convert the front rotors to 5 bolt and 11" brakes. This will allow me a more appropriate rim/tire choice, drive it this summer and then add a couple more cylinders next winter.

Allan.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The non centered pumpkin only looks goofy if you are the OCD type and need everything perfectly centered.

The only time you would even notice it would be if you were on your hands and knees looking under the car.

90 % of people wouldn't even see that the pumpkin was off center, even less would care.

The Maverick in my RPU will be more visible and will work-look fine.

24. I'm a more symmetrical kind of guy. lol

Allan

25. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

No need in getting your panties knotted. Use what you like, And if me wanting my hot rod builds to be as near perfect as I can get them means I have OCD, then I guess I have OCD, Because the way every part of my car looks matters to me. And I am sorry to be the one to inform you but lots of people notice the offset. I like the 8" rearend just fine, But only use it under fat fender cars 35-48 where you do not see it. Anyhow didn't mean to offend you by making comments about your rearend...:D:D

26. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Us engineers like things symmetrical! Lol

27. Yes, yes we do...

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm not offended, just too cheap to buy a quick change :D My Maverick will have to do, it was cheap and I didn't have to narrow it.

I scored a fully rebuilt one for $350 after it was abandoned at the gear shop for a year after the guy dropped it off for work and never returned :)

I'm thinking my RPU will do fine with it.

And I'm no engineer thank goodness ;)

29. Ouch. That was uncalled for. I'm assuming it was a welding engineer that developed your weld procedures that allowed you to make a living?
    Sorry, a winky face did not excuse that comment....... and I don't even consider myself an engineer, although that is what I did get a degree in.

........ now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Allan

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014