Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GIVE ME FUEL,GIVE ME FIRE,GIVE ME THAT WHICH I DESIRE! Hemi first start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metal man, Aug 27, 2013.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very Nice.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. metal man

metal man

Thanks, Leo. I took it to the upholstery shop Friday(only a week late:eek:). I'll have the body back from upholstery around February 1st. Meanwhile,I'll work on final assembly of the chassis and a few loose ends. Still need to paint the hood top and grill shell.

Attached Files:

3. metal man

metal man

Visited the upholstery shop today for a seat fitting. Doors and kick panels are finished.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  4. awesome! That top is lookin nice! Any more progress?

I've got a 29 phaeton that we are fixing to get rockin on it this summer.

5. metal man

metal man

Thanks, Purdue. There has been progress, but nothing too photogenic. The frame is painted,wet sanded and rubbed. I put the rearend together and rebuilt the rear brakes last night.

The upholstery shop still has the body, but that's OK because I want to have the chassis rolling again before I bring the body home. That will be next week. I had to repaint one of my wheels this week because the tire shop scratched the hell out of it:(.

6. metal man

metal man

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394164798.672631.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394164833.577402.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Just tuned in. If life likes us, I'll see you at LA. Best wishes.

8. metal man

metal man

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394670993.003443.jpg

A little more progress this week. Hope to have the engine and transmission installed next week.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Looking good!

10. Very nice, the interior going to fit the car well!

11. metal man

metal man

I hope so! Is there any particular place where HAMBers tend to gather in the swap meet?

12. metal man

metal man

Thanks, Matt. Your avatar looks pretty good as well.

13. metal man

metal man

I appreciate it,Flatty. The interior color is called "Cinnamon". When I saw it next to the body color i knew it was the right one. We are going to a lot of trouble to make the interior as comfortable as it can be. 2300 miles in 3 1/2 days could be rough.

14. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Thanks metal man! Still working the bugs out :)

15. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Jimmy,
    I have just found this, talk about asleep at the wheel!
    This is 'kin brilliant, I like it loads. Great colour combo, even if it is shiney;). Great combination of parts. Great stance.
    Dave would be proud, you done good.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

16. metal man

metal man

Thanks a lot, Stewart . That means a lot, really. I think of Dave every time I work on this car...I wish I could take him for a ride in "his" car. Hmmm...we do still have his ashes. Maybe I can take him somewhere:)

I missed you at the Autorama last weekend?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  17. metal man

metal man

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395023393.232405.jpg

Got the engine and transmission painted today. We'll install them tomorrow night.Once they're in there, I'll put the body back on. Time for this thing to start looking like a car again.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  18. car looks great, did you have any earlier chassis build-up photo's by chance, curious to see more.

Cheers, and congrats again, sweet project

Drewfus:)

19. metal man

metal man

I don't think so. I have never been one to take a lot of pictures of what I do. I just recently have started taking more since I have an iphone now.

Thanks for the kind words.

20. metal man

metal man

Got a little more done. The upholstery is finished, so I'll be setting the body back on very soon. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395851202.366984.jpg

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good! What rear tire brand/size are you running?

Also, will you be coming through Omaha on your trip? Would be cool to meet up if you come through here and have a little time.

Malcolm

22. metal man

metal man

Malcolm , the rear tires are Ironman Electra brand. They are 235/85/16 . They are 31.5" tall.
    We might be coming through Omaha on our way home. It looks like we may be coming through there on the night of June 17 if we get that far. Might be a good goal to land there for the night.
    Worst case, we'll be going through
    on the 18th. It depends how much time we spend at the Grand Canyon and Arches state park in Utah.

- Jim

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  23. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!
    That Fire Dome, Exhaust, Chassis, Choice of Color, Interior, Top...
    Awesome Combo Man...A "One off a kind" for shure!
    Can't wait to see it back together!
    T

24. OrneryDuck

OrneryDuck

Well that is just too-damn pretty! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this classy-build.

I'm not skilled in metalworking, though my automotive aspirations are going to require I rectify that if I have any hopes of owning some vintage steel at a realistic price. From what you stated earlier, it sounds like you custom-made the whole frame. Were the outer rails made from separate pieces of flat steel for each side/face and welded together, or are they stamped/bent angle or square tube for some portions?

25. metal man

metal man

Thanks a lot, man. I'm watching your phaeton build too....it looks very promising.

26. metal man

metal man

Thanks, duck. The frame is an all new fabrication. The rails are nibbled from flat 10 guage steel and welded together.
    This is something I do all the time and supply a lot of rod shops with custom rails. This particular pair is a one of design, pinched at the cowl and at the grill shell, for a spring behind, Doane Spencer inspired front suspension.

27. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

This engine looks perfect! Nice work.

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool - thanks for the tire info... I'm always on the lookout for tall 16" radial tire options that aren't $250 from Coker.

I'll definitely be in town on those dates - will PM you my phone number.

29. OrneryDuck

OrneryDuck

Very cool!

Thank you for the response, I wrote it up rather-quickly in between work and thus didn't really word it as well as I probably should have. It is impressive work, something I would have easily mistaken it for machine-made given the quality/consistency. Not to toss in more silly questions but... did you build it around a jig or was it tailored around each of your items (engine, suspension and body)?

30. metal man

metal man

Thanks Matt ! It's no show car, but it suits me.