Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does your spouse think about this hobby.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Mine tolerates it, which I guess is good enough.

2. My wife had my buy a car in the States when on our honeymoon and bring it back to Australia.

She specced up our off road race car we had and has broken quite a few fingernails working on our cars.

She does demand her car be the fastest in the house and she can roll out a sub 12 second pass in her street car.

Wouldn't trade her in even after 25 years.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I can honestly say, if I was still married, I wouldn't have my hot rod. My ex-wife was frugal and smart. Two things that a hot rod isn't. My last girlfriend liked my car and the people I hung out with, BUT a couple years later, she revealed that she was a psycho bitch from hell.

For you guys with a bad girl or an ex. Remember "Aliens"? Remember the scene where Ripley and Newt enter the queens chamber and the queen is laying all those eggs? My ex girlfriend was the queen. She spewed out YOUR psycho bitch.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Mine enjoys it as much as me. When I met her, she had a two year old Mustang II, and I had a 67 Mustang. First car we bought after we got married was a 77 Firebird Formula with the HP 400. We have always had nice cars, but nothing really show quality or even cruise in quality until the last 6 years or so. We would go to shows, look at cars and both would say we'd change this, change that, do it different if it was ours. Never had enough money to really build or buy a nice hobby car, but it still didn't stop me from trying. I went through a bunch of hulks, spending what I could, but usually ended up selling them for one reason or the other. Then when the kids got grown, we had a bit more money to spend, I found eBay, and actually was able to afford to build a nice hobby car. We started going to shows and cruise in's, and she enjoys them as much as I do. She has even laid under a car in the gravel lot at Pull a Part to help me get some part off that I needed, with a ankle length dress on! She bought a fox body Mustang convertible for her daily driver a few years ago, when she sold it, she wanted a 60's Mustang, but couldn't find one at a price she wanted to pay. I told her to just look for her a Corvette, never thinking she actually would as we're Ford family. She found herself a 84 Vette she loved, so we bought it, drove it for a while, flipped it for a profit, and then bought the 86 Vette she has now. She thought I was crazy for trading my hot rod 74 Maverick I had built from a hull to a nice street car for the non driving 47 Lincoln coupe. After we got it home and cleaned up though, she has started to like it. I'll have to say, after 36 years, ups and downs, hills and hollars, that's she's a keeper.

5. My wife left me years ago, the only reason I took her anywhere was so I wouldn't have to kiss her goodbye!!

6. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

My wife hates it with a passion
    hates car shows after 10 minutes ask what else is there and when can we go
    car racing is too loud
    she does like to tell her friends about our cool cars and how clever I have been building them
    she just thinks they should be built by magic not hard work and for free and my time would be better spent built her a new better house and buying new jewellery and going to fashion shows
    It is the differences we love about each other

7. BELLM

BELLM

Easy to answer, she has a '55 Nomad

8. My wife knew what she was getting into when she said "I Do". I've only ever had old cars, except for the family friendly car I had for a couple of months that I sold to fund my Hot Rod project. We (wife and kids) are off to the last show of the season today. She is supportive because she knows I enjoy it so much. Definitely a keeper.

9. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

My Bride of 48 years can take the car thing or leave it. She has no problems with it because she knows I am nuts about the hobby. You know you might be getting close to the limits when she says "do whatever you want as long as I don't have to go back to work". A great girl and a lot of support to me. I wouldn't trade her in for a black dirt farm in Arkansas.

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

She loves it... but does worry about how involved I am sometimes. But she always says she doesnt have to worry about me cheating on her since i love cars more than women...Old cars is also how I make my living and i love taking our boys to work and giving them a project to work on all day.
    Last snow day her little boy came to work and spent all day polishing a piece of trim, and he had a blast...

11. You sir have a winner, I don't know if you remember but my wife and I meet you and your wife at a cruise in Anderson a couple years ago. You guys where in the pickup. It was a pleasure to meet both of you.

Having said that My wife likes to go with me to most of the events and is interested in my build.

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Should add that my wife knows I don't view it as "hobby" as much as a need and not likely to change at 52 years of age. Married me that way so no conflicts. :)

13. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I love my wife but she's not really into to it that much at all. I believe she does know it's probably my biggest interest so she occasionally brings up something car related I may enjoy. I used to have multiple projects that I had for years but seemed to never get anything done on any of them. Down to one now, for multiple reasons, and that one that holds a special place in my heart and she knows why. I realize that God and family comes before the truck and I believe that's why she tolerant of it. And that's why it's in the unfinished/undriveable state it's in. Oh well, we'll get there someday. I am just very fortunate she's with me. :)

14. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My wife and I were friends before we started dating. She knew I was into cars, before I was even trying to impress her. Being a country girl her vision of a hot rod is a lifted 4x4, haven't got there for her yet, but she's helped me pull motors many times and is a willing hand whenever I need it. Not to mention she's great at thinking around corners when I run into a problem. Bought me new wheels for my birthday recently:

[​IMG]

I have nothing to complain about!

Devin

15. iarodder

iarodder

After 13.5 years I think she has figured out I have the "car" disease....I warned her when we met that all of my previous relationships have failed because of the cars and if she wasn't down with it we probably wouldn't work. She grew up in the racing world as her dad was one of the main announcers at the Knoxville Sprint Car track for 18 yrs. so I think that has helped the cause for me:cool: Now her dad is having me build him a second hot rod and when I am done with it she will get his current ride (a 39 Pontiac 2 dr. sedan) so I think my plan is slowly working to get her to love it and she doesn't even know it.....LOL She puts up with a lot of car crap but she knows it makes me happy so in turn that makes our marriage even stronger to know she supports me. I love her even if she drives me crazy some times she makes my world a better place.

16. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Closer to 8.5 years, but my house is very much in the same order. It's controlled chaos. I've had enough custom cars that my wife knows what it's like to cruise in style. She bought into to my obsession a long time ago.

The Kustom Falcon Build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

17. My wife of 15 years is the reason we bought our '47 Hudson. So I'd say she likes it.

18. Saubrenner

Saubrenner

We've been married 27 years and my wife went with me the last 10 of my Air Force career. While we were in Germany, we spent at least one weekend a month checking out the "lemon lots" and base junk yards for parts. She helped me fix up a couple of old Broncos while stationed in Caribou, Me. She bought me my first MIG welder while I was gone to Desert Storm. Her dad gave us our 65 Chevelle that we restored. She bought our 55 while I was out of town. Last weekend she went with me to buy a tire changer and wheel balancer, yesterday we bought a set of chrome reverse wheels for the 55.
    I'm still not sure what she thinks of my only reason for living and having a job...

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure that there is any way she could care less. Doesn't drive. Doesn't even have a license. Likes being driven around, but does not care what in, as long as she's not too warm.

20. I don't know, ever since I got her coupe running, I don't see her much...

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

she puts up with it most of the time:)

22. rebstew187

rebstew187

:D That's funny

23. She says it rides rough and smells funny.....

24. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

lube and a bath may cure that?

25. crazy wheel

crazy wheel
    from Missouri

She always seemed to enjoy the cruise ins and shows that we attended.
    Several months back,
    She mentioned that I need to sell something......
    I told her that she is starting to sound like my ex-wife (I've only been married once) coming up on 30 yrs.
    Of course, I was only joking.........
    Well, we aren't gonna make it to our 30th.....

26. 74bowtie

74bowtie

My wife enjoys the old cars, she will go with me to Carlisle and other local shows, as for working on them if I need an extra hand she is there. She would like a vintage station wagon but its either I build it or she buys one done.

27. we met in high school in my 66 chevelle. she just jumped in. that was 1984.i sold the car 7 months later. we found the car 26 years later. I'm not sure who is more exited. we plan things to do we both enjoy doing with the cars. drive in movies,car shows,visiting the kids in collage or taking them to the track. its a lot easier if you do things they also like to do. she doesn't have the same passion i do but she is involved and has fun. when my son started restoring his super bee she was cool with it. now we all go to races and shows in our cars as a family thing. wives are always into the family stuff so its a win win situation.

28. Ohiovette

Ohiovette

My wife loves cars, I love my wife
    The last car we went to look at to buy, a 57 Corvette gasser project, she said if you don't buy it your crazy. We got it.
    She also likes to shoot.
    [​IMG]

29. Been into it since we met, I was 16 and she was 14:cool: I took her and her cousin for a ride in my A roadster and her cousin smacked her head on the roll bar when I got on it. :p So she knew what she was getting into:rolleyes: Had a 32 five window I just finished when we got married. Actually, She would rather have me ride a Hot Rod than a Hot Blonde:eek: She gets it! I am lucky.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014