Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grlz2grlz, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Grlz2grlz

Grlz2grlz

Hey there. I was just wondering how people are insuring their vehicles. Ours is almost complete and we need to get it properly insured. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. American Collectors do a good job for me!

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Condon & Skelly, or Haggerty , or Grundy. all get good reviews.

4. I use American Modern. They're one of the few insurers that will actually let you drive your classic and still insure it. Hagerty's fine print was ridiculous. I've insured with AMIG on several classics.

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

American Modern for the reason stated above.

6. musew

musew

"Hagerty's fine print was ridiculous."
    Care to elaborate a bit?

7. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Ive been with Hagerty for years, what did i miss?

8. Sure. Here's one example. "** Occasional pleasure use does not mean use for daily driving to and from work or school, routine shopping, etc..." If you have a nice day, you can be denied coverage if your driving to work and have an accident.

I asked the same question of all the insurers when I started. Can I drive it when I feel like it? Hagerty's answer was no. Hagerty would not insure even a road trip without a separate rider. If you're not going to a car show or getting the car serviced they can deny coverage.

I have no affiliation with any of the companies. I'm simply a consumer. I didn't like all of the answers that I got directly from Hagerty salespeople.

Perfect example : http://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Classic-Car-Insurance/Additional-Coverages/Traveling-Collector

I'm paying you for insurance, but I have to pay you extra if I want to travel? Is it car insurance or art insurance?

9. Lots of posts on the HAMB about insurance and the comments run across the board. Some guys have good luck with the national vendors and some do not. I personally have no problems with my Grundy policy. Be sure to get an "agreed value" policy with no depreciation. Some of the insurance companies restrict mileage per year, some do not.

Don't be without insurance at anytime on the road but research (search) on this site can be your friend.

10. I got ANPAC Chrome. Good price. Haven't used it yet( and hope I never need to), so don't know if they respond well.

11. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

CHROME is excellent.

12. You guys are right,excellent company to deal with,they also offer builders insurance that is very inexpensive. HRP

13. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

My Hagerty policy is no restriction on mileage and agreed value. I'm not running antique tags so that my be why mileage isn't an issue. The antique tags in PA restrict use of your auto to one day a week. I built my car to drive!

14. I agree completely and that's why I chose against them. Id love to know that I'm wrong, but I pressed them pretty hard about usage and their answers were pretty black and white. Unlimited mileage but not free to use like a car.

Edit: I'm running normal plates, pay full taxes and want to use the truck whenever and wherever I see fit.

15. jazz1

jazz1

I carry regular insurance and provided insurance company with a appraisal as they required to determine value and rate. There are no restrictions,,drive anytime anywhere and I can tow with the vehicle. It costs a few hundred dollars a year more but the truck is built to be driven.

16. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I had the same experience with them. Was told in pretty black and white terms, take your car to the store, parts house, In-N-Out etc. and it's damaged, not covered. Unless it's incidental to being in either a car show or event. IE coming or going to a show, etc.

So, under those terms I can drive the car, four, five times a year just to park it.... Can't drive it work once in a while when in the mood to.

Yeah, that's useful coverage only if you have a trailer queen or museum piece.

I ended up with Heacock Classic Insurance, which is underwritten by American Modern. It's a stated value policy with no deductible. I did limit the miles to 3,000 a year on two of the cars, the other one is 1,000. They required I have the cars either garaged or behind a locked fence.

Ran me $320 last year for the three cars.

Never had a claim, so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

17. silversink

silversink

I have American Collectors now am going to change because of the customer service is lacking. I requested a proof of Ins. card be Emailed to me as I wanted to inter the Portland roadster show which was 2 weeks ago. I confirmed with them the date the premium was paid (oct/13) still to this day have not received an email. This is simple compared to a claim but I'm afraid a claim would be a real nightmare compared to this problem. I have called, emailed them several times. thought you would like to know the cons along with the pros .

18. Grlz2grlz

Grlz2grlz

What was wrong with Hagerty?

19. Grlz2grlz

Grlz2grlz

Oh, thank you for clarifying why. I think we will not be using it all the time so it should be okay :)

20. FordyNiner

FordyNiner
    from Wisconsin

Check with the agent that covers your non-collector vehicles. I'm covered with State Farm at a very attractive rate, with agreed value, and no usage restrictions. Since insurance is regulated by state, expect variations in experience.

21. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Never heard that about Hagerty. Which I have. The key in the wording is regular use. This is a documented response to that very question, but I've never filed a claim with them either so who knows.

Our policy is a flexible, limited use policy. We do not, however, limit you to just show and club use. Occasional pleasure driving fits our underwriting guidelines, but our policy is not intended for vehicles regularly driven to work or school or for running errands. We look for usage that is consistent with owning a valuable automobile and the availability of insured regular-use vehicles for daily transportation. While the average mileage generally put on a collector vehicle is approximately 2,000-3,000 miles annually, our policy language does not state a specific mileage limitation.

This limited, flexible use policy includes coverage for pleasure driving. That may mean taking your family out to dinner, out for ice cream or on an enjoyable Sunday cruise, for example. Taking the vehicle once in a blue moon to work to show it off is acceptable as well. We ask that you as the owner of a collectible vehicle make the decisions that are right for your situations. We have not had a problem with our clients abusing the privilege of flexible usage, so we are able to continue without the strict guidelines that some of our competitors may have. We would prefer that you do not take the vehicle to high-risk parking lots, such as the gym or the mall.

If we can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to give us a call at (800) 922-4050. We are open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., and Sunday 12 p.m.-4 p.m. (Eastern). Any of our friendly representatives would be happy to help

22. no55mad

no55mad

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What 3D40 said!! Up to $25K coverage with no appraisal. Appraisals are easy too if you need more coverage. ANPAC (out of Mo.), an old company, is the Ins Co. Chrome is their 'old car (Jalopy)' coverage. Bad part; they don't cover all states.:(

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just make sure your agent is on the up and up. Mine wasn't and I didn't find out until AFTER my wreck. No matter what company you get, it's the agent that can benefit you or screw you.

Also, the agent and his son, lost the privilege of selling CHROME policies. I got pissed and followed through.

24. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

I was denied by both Hargarty and Grundy because I use my car...they said no regular driving,back and forth to work,or stopping at a store. If I only drove on nice days and to shows I would never be using it.Guess they just want you to pay them so you can stare at it in the driveway.

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Aren't we always driving our cars and trucks to and from "shows"? Do the shows have to be sanctioned by some governing body to be official "shows"? Shit, everywhere I drive my old stuff, people gather to look at it. Doesn't that qualify as a "show"? ;)

26. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I sell for ANPAC in Colorado and have had a few claims with the classic cars and honestly, they get paid so much quicker because of the way the policy is written. Agreed value and they will go to a specialty shop for repairs. I feel CHROME is one of the top insurers in the country. Program, coverage and price are excellent, but I will agree with you, the agent is your first line of defense. He needs to know what he is selling and how to help. That's why you pay him!!

27. Grundy Classic car insurance via-Harley-Harmon. Saved me $300 a year for 2 cars.

702 382 6011

28. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

We use Grundy.

29. castirondude

castirondude

May need to look into this, been working on my ride for a year and starting to worry about all the idiots out there.
    Does Chrome also require the dreaded locked garage?
    I have a 2000sqft lockabe shop but it's always overflowing and not sure if I can keep the car in it all the time.