Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Chrome Headlight Lens

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cracker123, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Cracker123

Cracker123

Somebody help me out, I know I'm not going crazy. Isn't there custom headlights where the actual glass lens looks like chrome, or a mirror? Just a round sealed beam headlight that would replace your regular H6024 parts store headlight, but the light itself looks like chrome.

I've googled, I've searched ebay, I've asked friends, nobody knows what the hell I am talking about and keeping showing me the chrome headlight half-covers which is not what I am talking about.

2. I think what you may have seen is a regular headlight with a 'mirror tint' film applied over it. If you look through this, it looks like a mirror one way and will have a 'smoke' or green tint the other way. The film is available, how well it would hold up under headlight heat or cleaning I can't say, and I'm sure it would reduce the light output from the lights.

3. ...maybe you're talkin about the chrome sheilds that cover the top 1/2 of the headlites, kinda like "cat eyes" but solid.

4. 327Eric

327Eric

I've seen lamps that have burnt out get the chrome or mirror "look", could the one you have be a burnt out one?

5. Cracker123

Cracker123

Well I am not talking about the half moon covers. Those are cool, I just always thought these were cooler still. Maybe Crazy Steve was right and it was a mirror tint film applied over the headlight. For sure, I can't find any for sale this way.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut it in about half but most of the guys who run them probably don't drive fast enough for it to be a bother. Around here it's a "Bomba" thing that some of the lowrider brigade with the older bombs think is a necessity.

My eyes don't see as well as they used to at night and I sure don't want anything on my headlights that hinders highway speed driving over serious distances.

7. Cracker123

Cracker123

Yes! That's what I am talking about!

8. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

I've seen them before here and there, but all I can do is prove that you're not crazy.

it's not tint and the entire light is chrome. Never saw one lit up, tho.

9. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I've been looking for them also,I've seen them in old mags!

10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

That Pontiac just has the half covers. I have them on my Buick and it makes the whole lens look chrome unless you look closely.

11. soapman

soapman
    from California

Put two covers on one light!
    On second thought.....

12. Cracker123

Cracker123

^
    I like this way this guy thinks!

13. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Considering the reflections on the top lights vs the bottom(of that Pontiac), I would say that those are full covers and not halfs. It's reflecting the strip before it at angle, so it makes sense.

14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I have the half covers on mine. They do make the whole lens look chrome unless you look closely.

[​IMG]

15. Cracker123

Cracker123

I like that a lot, it's true, at a glance it appears to be completely chrome.

16. abc123

abc123

I'd guess that someone with glass experience might have made them for a show-only vehicle by cutting the lenses off of sealed beam headlamps. Then, they could have "silvered" the backside the same way that glass mirrors are made. When the lens is glued back onto the rest of the lamp it would make the lens look "chrome." Obviously, the lamps would not light up because the vacuum would have been lost when the lenses were cut off.

17. Cracker123

Cracker123

No, these were working lights. I just asked my co-worker (he's 63) if he remembers them from back in the day, and he said yes he definitely remembers them. He explained it as the headlight glass being basically the same as your mirror sunglasses from back in the day. He could not remember what they were called though, but he said they were popular in the 50's. I know I remember seeing them as a kid in Texas back in the 70's. Every once in a while now I will see an old hot rod with them as well, next time I do I am definitely going to have to ask about them.

18. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

There's a t-bird in the "save it or shave it" thread that was just started that has these lights you're looking for-or so it seems-might want to ask that guy.

19. Cracker123

Cracker123

Thanks for the tip, I just checked out the thread!