Register now to get rid of these ads!

newbie with a shoebox

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by burbank_shoebox, Mar 22, 2014.

1. burbank_shoebox

burbank_shoebox

Well here I am scouring the HAMB looking for info to figure out how to attack the 50 ford sitting in my driveway. Just came back from fridays Bob's Big Boys weekly car get together, all i can think is I can get this done with a lot of money, unfortunately I don't seem to have that. So I guess I need another solution, friends..Got a few here In Burbank, a mecca of of hot rods, but tricking them to come over is another thing! So, its up to me to get this thing started. It's gotta an olds 455 flathead someone put in in 1970, it hasn't moved since then, it turns over, thats about all, no gas pedal linkage, need to figure that out, needs exhaust, needs wiring, needs upholstrey (not important), brakes need a look at. some say yank the 455 and put a 350 in, go from there, painless wire, bag it, other say no bags, go with a bolt on, no welding, no cutting, all i know is funds are low, time is scarce, but momentum and energy I have, just need knowledge and direction. Thanks for reading if you still are! Look forward to comments and advice

2. EBW

EBW

Welcome to from Just North of you. THere are a ton of Ford Shoebox builds here. Do what I did and just use the Very TOP search feature, type in Shoebox, grab a beer or two and read up. So many great folks on here that can help you just by looking at what they are doing with their builds. Good luck and look forward to watching you build yours.

3. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

If the 455 runs stay with it for now and save money replacing it. 350 works if you want to replace it but 302 etc. ford motors are easy installs also. Shoebox Central is a good place to look at what parts you can get and also have a forum where you can get some help.
    Good luck with the build

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Welcome to the HAMB . Lots of good Shoebox info here . Don't forget to check out the Shoebox owners group subforum .

5. pointer-1

pointer-1

Welcome newbie
    I started with what I thought was a pretty straight car with a loose front seat and a running motor. Told the wife easy fix CHEAP. Now 1 1/2 years later. New floor front suspension all new sheet metal form the trim line down,rolled rear pan, frenched tailights, motor and tranny 302 AOD ,9 inch rear , w/discs, hours of block sanding. AND I still haven't gotten the front end back on or installed exhaust and wiring harness let alone putting the interior and glass back in.
    So to make a short story long. I don't believe that I have had more fun in a long time and I have a project that will as I told the wife will be my last build.
    Hope to get done before I reach 70 in a few years but it will take what it takes.
    Good luck with your new toy.

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Welcome. Go with a 302/c4 maverick rear end combo. Easy plus cheap and Ford in a Ford. I started pretty much with where you are and have less than $5k into mine including the car. It's my daily driver and was when I lived in Los Angeles too. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398006466.315803.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!