Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Split bones w/60hp tubular axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dapirate, Mar 20, 2014.

1. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

Hey guys,

In browsing the forum, it appears there may be issues with running this setup, which is exactly what I have.

I have a light weight fenderless roadster and thinking I'm ok but just not sure?
    I've had my 29 for almost a year and it rides and drives like a dream. I would never think it was built wrong. also, I have a leaf in the front not the coil overs.

Is there ever an instance where this setup is ok?
    Do I need to change anything?
    If I do, what are my options

Thanks
    :confused:

2. Well a tube axel does not twist like an I-beam and a 4 bar setup is usually
    recommended.There will be other knowledgeable answers.

3. snaptwo

snaptwo

We ran a genie Ford tube under a '57 Corvette gasser using batwings and split bars. Worked just fine in a straight line situation .

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We've all seen 37-40 tube axles used wth split bones, four-bars, hairpins, spring forward, spring behind, spring on top, under any number open and closed cars with and without fenders so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

5. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

Oh ok, cool
    so it sounds like 4 bars is the best setup, but its not crucial to change it immediately if I want to change it.

6. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Split bones all the way. That's a bad ass axle. Don't take away from with a lame aftermarket 4-bar. That axle is not like your standard t-bucket aftermarket tube axle. Yours is forged.

7. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

Thanks I feel a lot better!!!

:)

8. fortynut

fortynut

I bought one of these axles for a more traditional '25 T Roadster I'm scrounging parts to build --- as a track roadster, similar to but not exactly like the one Duffy Livingston raced in the sixties. I have pondered the same question, because a set of bones came in the deal and using them would make it easier. I store a lot of parts by hanging them under a loft in my shop. I tied a loop through the kingpin tube on one end and the axle hangs straight up and down. While adding other parts I bumped the axle; it rang like a bell. A very beautiful sound! The steel is of very high quality. Then, I remembered the Liberty Bell. Something hard enough to ring will not endure twisting stresses very well. It was not designed for that. In all probability a crack will result, how bad one can only speculate. This outcome cannot be good. Bravado aside, Murphys Law applies: It is not if, but when something happens. I'm going to use a four-bar set up, and like the Eliminator I'll use tie rod ends, where applicable. Personally, if I drove a rod built with a V8-60 axle and split wishbones, I'd change the axle, or replace the bones with bars. Other opinions may vary based on personal bias, and experience. Carl

9. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

ok lets do this, has this 60hp tubular axle axle ever broken on anyone with split bones?

10. turdytoo

turdytoo

Take a look at the Ivo "T".

11. If i remember correctly Brian Bass used a tube axle on one of the cars he built, i'd have a look at the threads of his builds and find which one used the tube axle and go from there.

12. 32 gasser coupe

32 gasser coupe

Harry Luzader's National record holder 32 Ford D/Gasser fron the 60's ran split bones w/60hp 1937 tubular axle. Leaving the line he'd pull the front wheels up through 1st gear and bounce them up again in 2nd. That axle withstood that punishment so I think you will be OK,

13. The split bones work just fine on a tube axle. They only don't work in someone's theoretical opinion.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Ivo's T used a four bar.

15. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

I definitely don't think I'll be doing wheelies with my 305, lol :p

16. Andy

Andy

My friend had a tube axle and split bones. He would shear the bottom off the perch bolts if he got it twisted like going up an incline at an angle. He used to carry a spare perch. The car drove fine with it sheared. It just freed up the axle so it could work with the road. It would have been a problem if he sheared the top and the wishbone became free.

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Just like "All the failed 35-36 Rear Wishbones" Stories that I have herd, But nobody can prove,.... I have only herd of a failure once that was document-able about failed perch pins with split bones and a tube axle... And it was using cheap repo cast perch pins.....

If you guys are thinking your "hairpins" are flexing to compensate for the twist, or lack of twist in a axle... I would be worried about the stress on your hairpins if this same pressure can snap a perch pin.....

I have been told about the theory of Hairpins with Tubes and Wishbones with I Beams Only ! for decades,.... Well somebody needs to tell these guys how badly they screwed up.....

Split bones with a tube
    [​IMG]

Beam with hairpins,....
    [​IMG]

And again Split bones with a V8-60 Axle,..... Frank put a ton of miles on this car in all kinds of situations for almost 50 years and NEVER had a problem with the pins.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Harm,
    Thanks man.

19. turdytoo

turdytoo

I believe if you will check it out you will find Ivo's had hair pins

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

What beaner said.

Twenty five years and probably as many thousand miles and no problem. You have to ask yourself how much your front suspension will travel. If it is just a few inches as mine does the rod ends will compensate for that. If it is a lot more you need to do something else.

Attached Files:

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,... and to add fuel to the fire,..:D

It looks like you have the very early and cool PSI Hairpins !,.... Now most of these were built with solid rods between the cast yoke,... and the female clevis. Most engineers will tell you that a solid rod is considerably weaker than "DOM Tubing" (Which almost all other Hairpins are made out of ) And these old PSI Hairpins are structurally weak and dangerous !

And here you are 25 years later still riding around on them..... Sometimes were just to darn smart for out own good.

22. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

My buddy and hot rod guru "Whitney" (Richcraft.Spl) runs a 60 and split bones on his roadster and runs it hard, I've seen him split the red sea, conquer everest, slappy grind it, push off fuel cars, and vintage sprints, hitting well over 100 on the back roads to many dirt track races during Indy speed weeks, busting great times at the strip and all with 7 asian hookers in the trunk all while not dropping a drip of brown liquor while doing it! ok it was with 5 hookers and 3 where dead, but point being, I'd say yhea it can be done! If your afraid send it to me and I will run it!

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This is so great. Are the axles worn through yet or does he use copers? :D

24. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Nah he is hard core, not plastic or Z-rollers here, it's 169 built to grind style ;)!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Good eye. You are correct they are early PSI. I did though grind off the initials before having them chromed.

I guess ignorance is/was bliss. Thanks I think. I'll keep running them though. If you want/need the most safety out there don't drive a T bucket, get a Volvo.

26. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

I think not... :rolleyes: it was a four bar.

Attached Files:

• ivo.jpg
      ivo.jpg
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views:
    • ivo 2.jpg
      ivo 2.jpg
      File size:
      152.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

No he didn't use front hairpins he was pretty true to his copy of Grabowski's T. Four bar suspension and all.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  28. turdytoo

turdytoo

My bad. There is a clone/tribute car with a aftermarket tube axle (not '37) and hair pins I had been studying. I stand corrected.