Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shoebox drop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chop777, Mar 19, 2014.

1. chop777

chop777

Just wanted to ask for help in predicting my ride height ...I installed some areo star from coils on my shoebox
    I know about settling ........
    How much lower will she drop after the springs relax ...and settle in
    ?
    Right now center of axle to fender lip
    Front 27"
    Rear 17"

Rear is sitting just right front needs to go 2 " more
    Will it settle ? Should I cut 1/2 coil ?
    1 coil ?
    Any help is appreciated

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I'm happy with the drop i got with the springs. Any more your going to loose suspention travel and run out of camber adjustment. Unless your into static display. If you want more space your lower control arms before you hack your springs or dropped spindles.

3. EBW

EBW

As Tedley says.. Dropped Uprights will be your next step.

The springs should give you approx 2.5" lowering. The Dropped Uprights will also give you approx 2.5"

4. chop777

chop777

Sorry my question is not clear
    After installing areo star springs new sway bar bushings etc and taking car off of jack stands .....how much will she settle in front

5. Not sure but a little i suspect. Her's a pic of my shoe with areostar springs and 3 in blocks in back. Car is fresh last summer. Wheels are 15 with 225x75. 215's will lower it abit. It may come down abit but i don't think to much.

Attached Files:

6. chop777

chop777

Just curious what's the measurement from ground to fender well in front?
    I'm running 205 70 r 15 's

7. chop777

chop777

Car looks great by the way!!
    Here's where I'm at

Attached Files:

8. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

I've had the Aerostar front coils on since November and have driven about 250 miles so far. I measured with a yard stick last week and I'm sitting at 26 3/4 inches from center top of the wheel well to the ground. Tires are Coker classic radials in 205/75/15 if that helps.
    When I get on a computer I will come back and post some photos. I also did the rear using 3" lowering leaf springs from shoebox-central and I've got a measurement of 13 3/4 from the center bottom of the rear skirt to the ground. Hope that helps ?

I'll post some pics when I get on my comp

9. San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

if you decide to get that extra 2 inches via dropped uprights,or just want some information on shoe box suspension, give us a call down here at Gambino Kustoms and we can set ya up. 408 479 4812

10. chop777

chop777

I would like some info on shoebox fords
    How much do you think she'll settle:confused:
    Should I call for the answer?

I lowered a 79 c 10 one time looked nice
    When I set her down ....
    As I drove it it dropped almost 2 inches
    Kept slapping the lower control arms on the street at every bridge I crossed
    ...thanks in advance

11. San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

well the coils could settle if cutting, because you were spreading the load over say 9 coils, so if you remove a coil, you lose its static height and now the load spread over less coils, which could sag, theoretically. Now Drop Uprights, lowers it 2 inches, completely statically, that doesnt change anything with springs. it literally replaces the upright your currently running, and moves the spindle into a location on it 2 inches closer to the upper arm then stock. call us

12. The new Aerostar springs aren't going to settle that much. I've got 3" blocks and Aerostar springs in mine, but it's up on stands these days so I can't take measurements for you.

13. chop777

chop777

OK cool
    Much appreciated
    I was hoping they would relax a little
    May go for the uprights
    Just worried if it settled it may be to low

14. EBW

EBW

Dropped uprights with the Aerostar coils are a great combo to lower the Shoebox. Thats what I am doing. I got mine from Gambino Kustoms.. Good people !!

15. I flipped my shubox spindles and cut 1.5 coils from a pair of springs a buddy gave me...

Attached Files:

16. My car does not sit as low as Rocky's, so if you want that sort of stance you're going to want the dropped uprights. If you're using new, not junkyard, Aerostar springs you don't need to worry about settling.

17. chop777

chop777

Using moog aero star springs
    Rocky's looks killer but to low for me
    What do you think about 1 / 2 a coil
    Off springs ....looking for another inch
    Just to fill space in wheel well
    On the back 3 inch blocks 51 shackles

18. clifforddean

clifforddean

I had Aerostar springs with 1/2 coil cut off. Definately brought it down almost to where wheel lip was even with top of white walls. They were 14" to. I had the rear lowered with 3" blocks and 2 leaves removed. Front rode nice, rear would bang. I've since 4 linked and air bagged the rear and lowered uprights and stk Aerostar springs on front. All from Gambinos kustom. Top notch guys. This pic is Aerostar springs cut. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395784610.795509.jpg

19. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have Jamco drop spindles with Aerostar springs and their sway bar up front and in rear Jamco rear 4" springs and 3" blocks in back. I had 4" blocks in the back but when I had a 22 gallons in the mustang tank it would hit the crossmember pretty hard when I went over speed bumps. I did raise the tunnel under the rear seat and also pounded the area where the pumpkin of the rearend is. The front tires do rub the fenders when I am going backwards and turned fully. I can say that if my car wasn't so low I would have had a huge problem when my front shackle bolt sheared off. The trunk floor held it in place somewhat. I do scrape going in a lot of driveways and have to really watch where I'm driving when it comes to bumps and pot holes. I also have the rims and tires off my son's Henry J on it just till I buy new rims and tires in a few weeks. They are 205/65/15s and too small. I use to have 6.70's in front and 7.10 in the back and it road about an inch or so higher.

20. chop777

chop777

Rolled her outside
    I'm going to roll like this for a while
    I think it's not to bad

Attached Files:

21. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used Fatman's dropped upright kit and aerostar springs. Jamco dropped rear spring kit with 2" blocks. I don't have the front clip back on, but it already sits low enough that, like Mr. Dickies, I am going to have to watch inclines and speed bumps. I would NOT cut anything off the coils until you had a chance to drive the car for a while. You can always take some off, but you can't weld it back on. Also, you will probably, as mentioned in an earlier post, have to raise your drive shaft tunnel and may have to rework the area over the pumpkin.

22. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

Looks great. I have Fatman dropped uprights, aerostars up front. 3" posies lower springs, 2" blocks and 51 shackle holder out back. Steep driveways are a no-no along with speed bumps. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398020232.416121.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398020313.849090.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398020530.244189.jpg

23. I installed Aerostar coils 6 years ago. They have yet to settle. I am running Fatman uprights as well. When I first installed the coils, I was running 6.70-15 tires with a 28.58 height. The fender lip was right at 24.5 inches. I now have g70-15 with a 27.50 height. The fender lip is at 24 inches.

5.2009 027.jpg

5.2009 026.jpg

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I also recommend Alex Gambino for help....he set me up on my Victoria.