Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;I agree,FAT is safe,lean is mean but it can cost you big time!! I get asked about having a 1050 Dominator on my 418,I always tell them about my friends experience on the dyno.They ran out of AIR on a 358W with a 950HP,could throw all the fuel they needed at it but nothing you could do about air except a bigger carb!!!I agree,there are WAY to many 'EXPERTS' when it comes to Carbs,go with what works for your combination!! ROY.

2. Mummert

Mummert

I saw a carburetor the act like that on the dyno one time. One the passages from the main well to the booster verturi was plugged.

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I would not be surprised!!
    Roy- I run 36 degrees as well. Just drained and cleaned the 750, made some notes on it as to your jetting. It'll go over to the UK. I'll send my jet kit along with it..

4. Merritt

Merritt

Haven’t been on the site for a while, making entries seems to give me difficulty. Probably mostly the computer operator.

I’m not a carb expert either, but I manage to get by with a Holley HP body from Jegs and the rest of the parts from a 20 year old 750 double pumper. Be sure the metering blocks you use are compatible with the main body being used.
    <O:p</O:p
    Twenty five years ago a carb guy told me to always use a 3.5 power valve, it has always worked for me. For jetting I start one step richer than the out of the box carb and adjust from there based on performance and MPH. This just what works for me.
    Last year I ran the 750 HP carb all year, the car ran 10.50’s and 60’s at most tracks with the best MPH 125.26. When we raced at Cecil County in early October (this when the car runs its best) I ran a best of 10.46 – 125.92, the first time it ran 10.40s.
    A week later I tried a borrowed 1050 dominator at Island Dragway and after some adjustments went 10.53 – 127.22. This was an old 9375 Dominator with a 2”, Dominator to 4150 adaptor, not exactly the best set up for the application but it showed the motor would like more air and there’s a little more to be had from the motor.
    I’ll probably run the 750 rather than the 1050 because it will be more consistent.
    I do get crap from buddies sometimes about my old carb, but the point is you don’t have to spend a lot of money on a carb, just assemble with carefully selected parts and keep it clean.
    I have a good combination now and should be very competitive this year in our nostalgia group.<O:p</O:p
    Early April I’ll be ready for test & tune, our first race is April 27.<O:p</O:p

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Found on TwoSprints Flickr page.

6. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

7. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  8. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

After finding the issue with the 750, I packed and shipped it along with the car to England. I hope that when I get there, I'll have a couple of test runs with it on. Damned vacuum leaks.... Damned me....

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Vacuum leaks and bad grounds,how many times have either of those caused problems?!!!! ROY.

10. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

11. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Very cool! I hadn't seen these before. Thanks for posting!

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Chrisman's Comets,owned by Jim Barillaro! Poor old 65 is getting a little worn looking!! ROY.

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Where is everyone?Dale,Mark,Myron,Steve,Al,Dave,etc.,HELLO!!!! Mercuryjunky is heading to a T n T tomorrow,getting his 64 ready for the trip East to the FE Nationals!! Was going to race my 65 this weekend,decided I need a couple test hits before I stick it,and me,into competition!! ROY.

14. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Good Morning, still alive here thanks for the wake up bell. Glad the car is back together Roy, will you hit test and tune with Ken? Maybe thats to far away though. Where is the FE Nationals? My headers are done and at coating shop, they had another FE set for 64 Fairlane on shelf too! thought that was cool.....Al

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;no,I will not be in Denver with Ken.I'll most likely hit Irwindale next Thursday Evening for TnT!!The FE Nationals are in Pennsylvania,I believe there is an ad for it over on the T-Bolt thread!! How did your headers turn out? ROY.

16. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Oh the FE Race Reunion-I wondered if that is what you meant. Headers are nice, probably look like yours, 3-4 7-8 out and around frame. Most are 36 and others 34.5 35 not much over inch difference in all of them, not much room as you know, have 3.5 inch ground clearance......Al

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I have had Header Manufactures tell me that if you can get within 2 inches between tubes you are OK!!!Have you seen all the talk/complaints on the Collector Tethers that NHRA wants for those that have removable collectors? I've been running removable collectors with two tabs and bolts on each collector,never have come loose,even with the bolts out you have to beat the collectors to get them off of the tubes!!!It sounds like pure BS to me,they have to be NHRA certified too!!! ROY.

18. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Hey man,just back from a nice ride in the Comet.Some cars starting to roll now that the snow and salt are gone!
    This is the coolest thing I've seen in awhile in the hobby world.A Styrene model kit of a '65 Comet due out this year!

[​IMG]

19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Yes I've seen and heard, just one more thing to add cost and pain in ass. How many race cars aren't crawled under once a week during the season. I'll get them but not until I need them, I have 3 bolts on each......Al

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I agree,I check my Comet over BEFORE it goes to the track!! In 47 years of racing,NOTHING has ever fallen off of my car!!!The only things I have seen come off of drag cars are slicks,so do we need tethers on them?I have four bolts holding 8 tabs that are welded four to the collectors and four on primary tubes,there are only four nuts holding the driveshaft onto the yoke,WTF!!!! NHRA=No Hot Rods Allowed!!!!If it was a serious safety item I could understand!!!! ROY.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;I had seen that ad before,have not seen any word on the release date!!! ROY.

22. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Roy,
    The kit was supposed to hit the shelves this month.The vendors at last weeks detroit NNL swap meet told me we probably won't see it till a good 6 mos. Mobius is running behind on their releases. It's just good to see they are doing some well deserved sought after subject matter!

Myron_

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;Thank You for the update!! I keep stopping by our one and only Hobby Shop,they had not heard either!! ROY.

24. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Hey Roy I forgot to tell you the other night I actually got held up at Tech up at Bandimere over the fact that my Headers didnt have the New Teathers {2014 NHRA Teather rule} on my Colllectors. It took him quite awhile laying underneath there to come up with the decision that it was impossible for them to come off. I wonder if Im going to have to deal with that all year. So far no one has asked for a Blanket.

[​IMG]

Everything went good At Test and Tune on Saturday, No Issues, Now we are going to get ready for the big trip east to run at the FE Nationals in Beaver Springs, PA. Plan on leaving my Rig out there to have fun this year on the east Coast . Hit some historic tracks and Celebrate the 50th Ann. of the 64 A/FX Comets. You guys are going to love the new T-Shirts I had Made.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing I tested on Sat. 70 and perfect, this is what it looked like on Sunday. Racing in Colorado.

[​IMG]

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I hear you on the tethers,I bought a set from SUMMIT,$150,they would not work as my primary pipes are too tight to each other,laid under their FOREVER trying to make them work,sent them back!They busted Eric at the MM because his header extensions were not tethered [ his collectors are welded on],they made him remove the extensions!!!NHRA has backpedalled some on this,they say you can place a weld on each tube to the collector,or use a muffler type hanger on the collector,it all has to pass tech inspection!!!In 40+ years of racing the only parts that ever came off of my car was the hood breaking apart and a POS Moser axle breaking and letting the wheel/tire loose!!My collectors have two tabs welded to two tabs on two primary pipes,held together with 5/16 bolts,flat washers,lock washers and nuts,they have NEVER come loose and after you take the bolts out you need a BFH to hammer them from the primaries!!!!!!! Like you,nobody has said anything about a diaper,do not know how I would ever get one on!!!! ROY.

26. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Roy, if you look on RacingJunk under collectors they have a couple styles of tethers not as much money also!

Ken, your car looks great in that photo!........Al

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;my problem [beside the cost] is I can not fit a clamp on any of the primary tubes ,they are TOO TIGHT to each other!! I feel it is a BS move anyway,you still are relying on bolts to hold everything in place!! I made up a bracket to hold the collector to the car,I'm doing a Test session Thursday,I'll see what tech feels about them!!! I can not weld the collectors to the primary tubes as four tubes [two per bank] go out through the inner fenders,and then back under the car,plus #2 has to go on before #1 on passenger side,#5 goes on then #6 on drivers side!! Drag Racing is FUN!!! ROY.

28. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Roy our headers must look identical other than flanges, thats how my back cylinders exit, have 3 bolts parallel with tubes on each side to hold collectors, then V-band flanges for collector extension. Your right Racing is Fun!.....Al

29. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Hey all!

Still here, nothing new to report in the Blue Oval world. Comet is somewhere in the middle of the ocean, not at the bottom in that freighter Roy told everyone that sank with my car in it!! I was extended a fully paid trip to Belgium to match race the Comet, but schedule conflicts would not allow it. A bit bummed, but hey, I'm still racing over in the UK, just booked the plane flights!!

Also received news that I have the humble task of building the next MOONEYES PROJECT CAR !!!!!!! Ya think I'm giddy with excitement???? While I tried to convince them to build a Ford, looks like a full-blown altered wheelbase '65 Barracuda.

Ken- good luck on the East Coast roadtrip. That's going to be one to hear about around a campfire!!!!

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I'm headed to Irwindale tomorrow to test,you got any spare time!! I heard the guys from Discovery Channel that go looking for sunken ships think they found the freighter with the ROCKET on board,they could tell because all the fish seemed drunk from something in the water!!!!!! ROY.