Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester NY historical pic and question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry Floored, Feb 13, 2008.

1. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Yes, that's the restaurant. I'm not sure about there being one in Greece, but I think there was one in Henrietta, on Jefferson Road, right across from the Regional Market. The Thunderbirds closed up so long ago, I can't really even put a time frame on it. It must have been around the early 70s....

One by one, the Rochester area's "legends" of hot rodding are dying off. Sadly, Jess Haelen died a couple of years ago, although he closed up the shop about 15-16 years ago. After he retired, it was a rental place for industrial equipment for several years, and now is a 'Hardwood Outlet' store...

2. kb65

kb65

The sunoco station was on the south side of penfield road. Jess was in the old mobil station on the north side.
    Jess sold the business and it moved back to halstead st off winton where Jess used to be.

KB

3. 427RAT

427RAT
    from Apex NC

HI everyone! I am Rick Cascino Dicks son. The H stands for Harris. Dick Harris owned a gas station that my dad worked at and tuned the COPO. As I type copo1969 is trailering the COPO to Molye Chevrolet tomorrow OCT 5th. Steve Harby will be there. It is a surprise to my dad, he has no idea it will be there. I dont think he has seen the car in 30 years. Thank you to copo1969. You are making a dream come true for me and him!

4. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Oh man, I wish I had checked back in this website last week!! I most definitely would have driven out to Molye's, just to take another look at the car.

Rick, since you've found this website, and if you happen to check back in here, could you clarify the ownership trail of the car? As I've previously mentioned, I spoke with Charlie Conrose, who said you father owned the car, whereas a number of people say that Steve Harby owned the car. Who really did??

5. kb65

kb65

they both did first steve then dick

kb

6. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Steve mustn't have owned it that long, then.....

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

While all you Rochester guys are here; what's you opinion on the best machine shop in the area?

8. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

Stay far away from Drakes.

9. tjm73

tjm73

I hear good things about Pro-Formance Specialties on East Main.

10. BSL409

BSL409

Carl McQuillen, in Leroy the best around

http://mcquilleninc.webs.com/

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've also heard good things about them from close friends. I believe the Owner of Pro-Formance is already a HAMBer as well as a drag racer himself, but I'll be damned if I can think of his name.

I hate C.R.S...............:eek:

12. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

There's that yellow Morris Van again! I had a Charger Red one just like it. I've also seen a black one and there's a white one in PA. They're everywhere!!

Attached Files:

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm on the east side... I talked to owner and he seemed to know his shit and had a lot of work...He likes to build big block Fords but will do any engine.
    I personally know Glenn Lazzar the owner of Farmer's Automotive in Webster. They machined about 8 engines for me over the last 20 years Their quality control has been spotty over the years and lately more so . But Farmer's consistently did nice valve work. I think the shop manager Dan bought the business.Their machinist quit and opened his own shop near me in Ontario.
    I had Engine Assembly on Halstead St do a 235 Chevy head,valve seats etc about 3 years ago. It was ok but the valve stems were all different heights,not something I should have seen for the money paid.

14. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

The owner of Pro-Formance is Matt Shaff and he is a great guy that knows his stuff, especially anything to do with BB Fords. You won't be sorry if you do business with Matt.

15. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Hi Bruce - Haven't seen anything from you in a while. Every time I see a Morris it makes me think of you and Corky coming to my house in your van to to have Corky stripe Bob Austin's '34 phaeton and Mike Kelly's '36 4-door. Ahhhhhhhh, the good old days. Hope all is well.

John

16. LZ

LZ

Truck:
    Matt is a stand up guy. He will tell you what you need to hear not necessarily what you want to hear. Get what I mean? Hes right to the point no fluff. Its a tuff ass business. Especially with the economy and this crate engine crap, etc.
    If hes short understand that there are ten bazillion calls a day asking how can I get 600 horse out of my SBC or "let me put the phone by the engine, do you know what this noise is"????

Hey where are you out there?? I am in Webster.
    good luck
    Luke

17. LZ

LZ

Hi John how are you??
    Isn't it time to be heading out of dodge??
    Luke

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

Hi,I'm in Ontario on Lakeside Road just a few miles from Webster.

19. LZ

LZ

Thats funny. Im just over on Phillips. Have to catch you sometime.
    Luke

20. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Hi John,
    I remember that day. That's the first time I took the Morris for any kind of a real drive, just after I got it on the road. Good times! All is well her in Florida. The nice weather and rod runs have just begun after all the sweating done this summer. I hate summer here, would like to get a small house back in NY for the summers but the taxes are crazy there.

21. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Man, you got THAT right!!!

I'm in Webster, and my taxes have DOUBLED since I moved here in 1990.....

22. BigChief

BigChief

23. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

I have an "update" to this statement. It turns out that I got some bad information in the past, and Jess didn't pass away until this past week. Sorry for the mis-information....

24. Bob47

Bob47

Just found this website and thread. I raced out of Molye Chevrolet in the 60’s when John Brairton owned it. John, Wes and I had some time in those days. Spent a lot of time with Jess as he was our engine guy. I’m on the west coast and lost touch with the east coast history. Lot of good memories. Anyone know if Wes is still alive.

25. Unledded

Unledded

Hey everyone... I know this thread is way old but had to post anyway.. I saw a post about Neuffers corvette and the naked lady hood..I actually worked for Jim at that time and yes it was awesome! Jim would go to Carrols restauran tand by them out I lived in Gates and the Zeilinski's were I believe associated with Dolomite quarry and might of had (or played with) a rear engine camaro if my old memory serves me right. I also went to "body shop school" with Frank Malvaso who still rips up the dragstrip. Anybody remember Macovoy (sic) dodge on W,Henrietta road. MOPAR heaven. Thanks for letting me relive some great times!!!!

wraymen likes this.
  26. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Sure do remember McEvoy Dodge. We bought our second new car from them, a '66 Dodge Charger with a 383" and 4-speed. Man, that was a fun car. My wife and I took it to the Spring Nationals in Bristol, TN in '67 and had to sleep in it because our hotel room wasn't available to the next night. It wasn't so bad as, if you remember, the rear seats folded down flat and there was also a fold down panel into the trunk which produced a big, flat area. We just folded everything down, got a couple pillows and a blanket, which we had packed and said good night.

All was great until we woke up about 2:00 AM freezing our butts off. The temp had dropped from a high in the nineties down to below freezing. It was COLD! We had to fire up the old Charger periodically just to stay warm. Many others around us were doing the same thing.

Nevertheless, we had a great time at the race and it was an adventure neither one of us will ever forget.

Thanks for bringing back another great memory

TagMan likes this.