Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how to color, white epoxy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by rockin rebel, Mar 22, 2014.

1. hey guys, I bought white epoxy from TCP Global and I want to color it.. my local shop says you must use epoxy to color it.?? is this true.? in the old days, I used to put some acrylic paint into it, and stir it up and paint away..:confused:...thanks............oh ya, this is for my traditional custom:rolleyes:

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I don't know what colorant is sold in Canada, but adding acrylic enamel, or tree hugger Kool-Aid (waterborne) material will make a big mess of your epoxy. Perhaps you can contact TCP and purchase some colour to mix in with the white?

3. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

dont know what you are working on, i used crystal clear resin to cast my own taillights for my caddy!
    i had a lot of trouble finding the right colordye, but i also needed a transparent color. its also urethane resin, and different than you epoxy. but i tried many different types before i found the real one! thanks to Matt townsend!
    maybe ask these guys!
    http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1156/index.html

heres my taillight! the mold is made from a 48 bumberguard!
    [​IMG]

-Palle

4. Twenty years ago there was a company, Ciba-Geigy. They were big into quick cast tooling resins. I purchased epoxy colorants from them. These were for opaque colors.

5. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

Now there's something worth a how to thread. How didja do that?
    Joe H

6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

sometimes Engilsh/USAlish/Australian gets confusing, so hopefully this will help.......if I use "araldite" (a clear two part epoxy) I use fiberglass colours. Anything similar to fiberglas resin or epoxy resin we have here can be coloured with the fiberglass colours.

7. well this went off track...lol I am talking white epoxy primer sealer, to spray over bare metal, before body work....sorry for the mix up

8. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

ah ha, ok with 2k primer I use 2k colour, there should be a matching "epoxy" paint colour you can use. I only do this if i have dark colour over if your painting it white you have the perfect base :)

9. Having been involved in the paint industry I can assure you mixing universal tinting color in epoxy will come back to haunt you,,as it dries there is a reaction that will cause the tint to spot and not completely dry. HRP

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Agreed. You are playing w fire a little here. 2k epoxy can be fussy enough without adding things that don't belong.

I would just talk with your paint distributor/mixer and go by their recommendations.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

works for me , have some here 20 years old still good, but I use tinter or coloured paint that is the same composition as the primer so thay would be acrylic tinter for acrylic primer or 2k colour for 2 k primer, I dont mix brands or types,

12. ok, thanks...never used epoxy.. I will email TCP and order some color...

13. PPG makes a product in the commercial coatings division called CRE it's a dtm epoxy primer that is tintable and sands awesome, high build also.

14. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

Having sold architectural and industrial coatings for 30 years by a variety of companies, for two component epoxies and urethanes, we used alkyd based colorants to tint with. Not knowing exactly what you are using, take my two cents for it's worth.

15. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

What color are you wanting to end up with ??

16. green of any shade

17. BJR

BJR

How about a tech article on how you made this cool lens?

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I used to use House of Kolor Kandy concentrates to tint Dupont Corlar ( an epoxy primer).
    You could add so much, and the color wouldn't get any darker. You'll only get pastels.

19. coronetfreak

coronetfreak

I'm interested

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. motage

motage

Emiliedk, tell us more about your lenses! better yet start a new thread!

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're going to tint TCP white epoxy (betting it's relabeled Shop-Line) you can indeed ad a conservative amount of toner for base colors. The trick is to reduce both with a proper solvent (like Shop-Line 506) and only do it to the last coat. Epoxy reduces with basecoat reducer to be used as a sealer and I've yet to have a single failure. I also tint a final reduced coat of surfacer about 50% with some black tint added as well. Makes for a bitchin guide coat:cool:

22. Rikster

Rikster

How Palle created his taillight can be seen on the CCC-Forum

23. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

Sikkens epoxy is green !!!

24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

mix in some boogers?

25. ppg dp 40 is green gray
    i have also mixed different colors of epoxy to make other colors, dp 90 and dp74 mixed gives you an old school brown primer look.

26. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I've been told that only Sikkens brand primer/sealer should be custom tinted to create your own color.
    If you add tint to other brands of primer/sealer, you can only add a tiny amount before it affects the adhesion and can lead to failures since they were never intended to be tinted.
    Sikkens on the other hand can be tinted quite dramatically. I have custom tinted Sikkens primer/sealer on my car for many many years with no issues.

27. Why dont you shoot a candy over it, you can even thin it out so its a lot more opaque