Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Painlessly
    Angers
    Normally
    Nice
    Entrepreneurs
    Trying
    Out
    Nostalgia

Lol this is fun:D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

What you can't see is the the boat anchor that powers it:eek:

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

3. ...one of my favorite pics...
    [​IMG]

4. You guys are killin me! :D:D:D:D;)

5. Sorry if I'm way behind on your project buddy, but that looks like new pipe, what are you building?
    PS. Laura Scudders called, she wants her giant potato chip back!..,and she's really pissed at you!!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

6. a jungle gym :D

8. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love that 37 Chevy coupe too. Lots of history.

Here is another shot of it, but from Union Grove early last year. We ran pretty close.

Attached Files:

9. So cool they actually run the car. It sucks when an old racer, especially one with history, becomes a static display.

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

That first one was kinda crossing the line,wasn't it...?:D

Scott

Hey,just to be serious for a minute (I promise it will only be a minute),give us some updates on the Chevy...
    Last time we talked there was a gigantic pile of horsepower in a UPS truck headed for your front door....

Scott

11. I'm at my sons track meet now. If I keep texting, my wife in gonna beat me in front of thousands of people. I'll post an update later.

12. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

A few shots from 2013
    DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0916.jpg

DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0935.jpg

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Is that a big Mopar in the Willys!?!?
    I bet that ones a torque monster!

Scott

14. Next week we have a spot at Bullet Fabrication. Mike is gonna move our wishbones a little so they're inside the frame rail, instead of crossing under it, which the landing from a wheelie would crush/bend/brake them. The car has also had too short of a front spring since the straight axle was put in, so instead of it floating on the shackles above the axle, it has been riding on top of the axle all along. Because of this the ends of the axle are slightly bent. We have to strip the old chrome off to redo the hair pin mounts (they are way to light weight/flimsy), and the rear mounts need attention too. I finally identified the spindles as early mid 60's econoline Ford jobs, and I'm hoping to adapt some Wiwood stuff I already have from our 62 Dodge, to drop a few lbs (the current front brakes are early Mustang discs). Redoing the radiator mount, front engine saddle mount, and new 2" primary tube headers for the new engine. We had also planned move the clutch/brake pedals back to the floor, but its gonna be a bigger job than I thought, so it'll have to wait for another time. The trans tunnel has to be tweaked slightly to clear the Jerico shifter, and I'd like to replace the front/rear window with some Pro Glass Lexan, to shed a few more lbs. We have new 4.88 Pro Gears, (switching from the current 4.30's) should be back from REM polish next week. We're also adding some older school sprung wheelie bars so we don't tear of the original push bar. We have some older Hoosier, 11x29 slicks, buy may get a fresh set of Hoosiers or M/T's for the event. New chromoly drive shaft, and chromoly trans cross member. Making a better clutch pedal stop, and have to get another hyd throw out bearing for the Jerico, the one for the Nash box won't work. Awhile back we found some "nos" ring form parachutes, so we'll have that mounted for the proper photo op in the shut down area. More about the engine after dinner.

Panneton's
    Assembling
    Nasty
    New
    Engine
    To
    Obliterate
    Northerners ��

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  15. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Now that was GOOD!!! :D

16. Thanks other half of Panneton Bros. Racing, (my little brother Marc everyone) that's my "Magnum Opus Acronymus"

17. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Whoever quadruple-dog-dared him has got him bingeing on horsepower and droppin' weight from the old girl like she's gettin' ready for the Miss America pageant! (or Miss Meltdown pageant!) I've been his brother for 45+ years and there's no stoppin' him now! Just hope we can get it all done and sorted out before July!

18. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

I'm the mostly silent half...

19. Our backup plan of using the 436" Engine Masters bullet is out. Bryce of Dr. J's took it apart for inspection, an the mandated Amsoil, was not kind to the short block, so the snarling 416 is the weapon of choice. Augie Delgado (who is well known for his slightly altered wheel base silver 66 Nova with Jackson Injected 327, that he drives everywhere), is currently prepping a set of Jackson's for us. They are short runner versions, which neither Augie, nor we had ever seen before, and fortunate enough will fit comfortably under our cowl, and happen to be better suited to the new engines characteristics, triple win there. We do have a twin 6109 Holley inline 750 double pumper/tunnel ram contingency plan going together also, just in case there are injector issues. The cyl. heads are 240cc int. runner versions from Bryce @ Dr. J'S/Air Wolf Cylinder Heads that flow like 15-18 deg. heads, and were using Crower shaft rockers 1.7 Int/1.6 Exh. The cam is a Bullet ground to Bryces specs 282/292 @.050, .797 int./.750 ex on 111deg CL. The compression is 14.25:1 with 65cc chambers & cometic .032 MLS head gaskets.The cam drive is a Milodon Gear Drive, & the lifters are Crower Extreme Duty with easy roll bushings instead of pesky needle bearings. The rods are 6" Carrillo's, and the pistons are Comp Eliminator style "X/box forgings from CP..,hey wadya expect, that's where I work. The pins are .927 x 2.250 9310's w/Casidium coating (thanks Snake!). The crank is a Callies @ 3.875 stroke & 350 mains. The block is a Dart SHP W/4.135 bore for 416 inches. The pan is a full box Milodon with full length recovery pouch, Milodon pickup and a blueprinted pump by Bryce. The balancer is an SFI legal Power Bond, and the aluminum 12lb. Flywheel is from McLeod. The ignition is MSD, and the short water pump is an Edelbrock, as are the rocker covers. If she doesn't make at least 750HP & 580-600 lb ft., I'll put a Hemi in it.., Ppppwwwaaabaaaahhhaaaahhaa!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  20. Yep, sure is! I can spot them from 100yds... :)

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Holy crap...thats a serious program right there.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

22. Not after I sat in it!

23. Butch M

Butch M

Man that is some big time stuff I better keep my junk here In Kansas with Toto......

24. You gotta bring it Butch!, there will be plenty of guys for you to "saw off". We're always saying it would be good to race at the same event, and we'll practically be in your backyard.., probably shouldn't bring Toto, some of the guys might not like 80's music at a 60's race?

25. Whoah.... somebody mention "Wings"!!!:eek:

I think Snakes and Mongooses like them too!:D

26. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

DAMN JOEL, we got the leftie scared to pieces now......hey Ric, i know of a nitro burnin,24-71 supercharged fuel injected, lightened,alum, double cammed super ported, twin turbo,9 piston,3 headed (dare i say) hemi that coil, force and Kallitta all helped make you can jam in there if you think the northern badass are gonna make you look bad as were gonna.......let me know.
    Me, Im putting fresh fuel in mine, and maybe a new rear view mirror to see the competion. O yeh, got a new floor mat too...........
    Fire away lefties....you only got a few months before the slaughter starts
    You gonna wish there wasnt a N on your compass when we get done with you....................................Johnny Rotten

27. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

image.jpg The Grapes new heart ready to go back in!

28. Saxxon

Saxxon

OUCH !!!
    This might be the best dig yet ...

29. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Kinda suprized I havent heard anything yet......must still be at the track meet

30. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Looks good, what are you looking for time out of it?

Jon