Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical fenton headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shifflett, Mar 23, 2014.

1. shifflett

shifflett

Can someone pinpoint the year of these headers?[​IMG]

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

They should fit any 216, 235 or 261. They're really not year restricted. They are the best headers one could have though. They have the heat box that will bolt to the bottom of the intake and heat the fuel air mixture. Rare and so seldom seen! When they show up on the auction sight, they always go for big money. Keep them!!

3. shifflett

shifflett

Yea I bought these for the price of repops. I was just curious about what year they were produced.

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

They are originals. Fentons with the heat box aren't repoped. At least I've never seen new ones listed. These are from the day.

5. shifflett

shifflett

Yea im glad I picked these up so cheap, my repop fentons won't allow my tattersfield to bolt up, the intake hits the second primary tube on the front header. I'm in the process of switching stuff now.

6. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Man, you know you have the best combo, in my humble opinion! The Tattersfield is a great intake. A pair of Carters and those Fentons will be nice. The last key to the puzzle is the HEI from Tom Langdon. It all works to perfection!!

7. shifflett

shifflett

Well I have pertronix right now. These headers were labeled as nos and didn't have any carbon build up, so I guess it was true.

8. Road Runner

Road Runner

The straight angle on the intake mount means it was for a 216 originally and the bolt pattern will be for a 216 intake manifold.

That's good, as you want a 216 dual intake for a 235 or 261 street engine.

The 235 version has an angled surface to the intake and the bolt pattern would be for a 235 intake.

I have the same ones on my 261 and they don't need the tubes and cover plate for the intake, like the later Fentons.

Only thing you have to worry about is a good tight fit to the intake.
    Make sure to bolt them together first away from the engine and that all intake and exhaust ports are perfectly level.

Then when mounting to the engine, bolt them tight first with the intake/exhaust manifold gasket and then tighten them to the head.

9. High5

High5

Probably made late 50's or early 60's. Have a set also with the heat box. Ran an Edelbrock twin carb intake. It was sweet. Still have them.

10. shifflett

shifflett

Well bad news, these are for a 235 my intake won't bolt up.

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You sure? That heat riser mount angle looks pretty flat for a 235 intake.

12. shifflett

shifflett

Yes, the two holes closest to the motor were off when I sat my tattersfield on it, so I grabbed my stock 235 intake and it matched up perfectly.

13. Road Runner

Road Runner

You are right - these are for the 235.
    When mounted to the head, the intake mount surface it at an angle.

I checked mine, which have extra iron making the surface level with the head and are drilled for a 216 intake.

Attached Files:

14. shifflett

shifflett

I guesd I could have mine filled then re drilled.

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

As far as when they were available, my '56 Fenton catalog still shows the style that is reproduced with the separate heat riser plate, but my '59 catalog shows the style you have with the integral heat riser.

16. Road Runner

Road Runner

You still need an angled spacer and use two gaskets, but then you have a potential exhaust leak.
    And welding cast iron is not so easy.

17. trenchgun

trenchgun
    from nj

Want to sell them?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. shifflett

shifflett

Sorry trenchgun, I would but im using the front header because the reproduction fenton hits my intake.

19. Pinchi70

Pinchi70

I know this is an old post but does anyone know where to find some? I'm rebuilding my 235. THANKS!