Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead problems fuel/ign questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reverb2000, Mar 22, 2014.

1. A completely destroyed valve will leak fuel.
    The power valve comes into action when the vacuum goes low. There's no vacuum on a engine that's off, or on the bench. So the "didnt leak overnight" is inconclusive at best and completely out in left field - tells you or proves nothing other than its not obviously destroyed the same as a visual inspection would.

A screwed up PV will open too early.
    The wrong PV not coinciding with idle vacuum will open too early.

A PV that opens too early will make you run rich to varying degrees on everything below WOT.

2. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

ok I stand corrected...the other times I had pv failure, it would leak enough that the bottom of the intake was wet with fuel. I will remove this one and inspect.

3. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

I removed the power valve and found it marked 14...is that 1.4? For some reason I remember to divide by two, which would be about right....obviously 1.4 would flood like a mf.

4. Seems 14 PV is a mystery
    http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4916

5. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

ok...lets end this thread. I am going to order another/correct power valve and use this opportunity to remove the manifold, heads and paint the engine. Hopefully I will find the issue, but no sense to keep guessing.
    Also the brass insert around the power valve is a passage same as the original, just external. These carbs SEEM to be the new edelbrock ones that come from oversees. The company I purchased from basically told be "ya, they are made overseas and then gone thru" here so that they can be labeled "made in the USA". I cant imagine another company going to all the trouble to make 94s.
    Once I find the problem I will update this for others.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  6. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

Just a update since I hate reading threads that are never updated.
    Before I removed my intake I checked the torque for the heck of it...found half the bolts not torqued. I tightened them all up, replaced the power valve with a 5.5 and its running nearly perfect. One mixture screw is working but one still isn't. When the one that isn't is screwed all the way in I can hear suction that I am guessing is coming from around the manifold area on the same side.. So ordering a intake and head gaskets (they weren't torqued correctly either). Think I will order another pv also since I want to play with the timing. Currently running 22 degrees total advance.