Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 lake headers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 29 coupe, Mar 21, 2014.

1. 29 coupe

29 coupe

I have been working on the headers on my 29 coupe and got one side done. I used a 3 1/2" tube 5' long and cut a pie shape out the full length then used worm clamps to squeeze it to 3 1/2" by 1 3/4" then welded it up and used u-bends to make the runners. I followed the instructions I found on H.A.M.B. It worked and now the other side should be easier because I won't have to wiggle around the steering column. I saw a post on how to build lake pipes on hamb i can't remember who that smart fellow is but Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. olskool34

olskool34

I think it looks great! Nice work.

3. 29 coupe

29 coupe

thanks olskool your coupe looks cool

4. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks, she was an original barn find about 5 years ago. I did something similar with my 29 roadster but I'll be damned if I can find the pics.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you are going to leave the pipe where it is and exposed like that it looks to me like it might be something to fry your leg on while climbing out of the car.

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

^^^what he said^^^^I've seen it happen about 100% of the time ....nice work tho....

7. chiro

chiro

I would love to see the "how-to" thread you are referring too.

Andy

8. Ford Blue

Ford Blue

9. 29 coupe

29 coupe

search how to build cones for lake headers by todd a. as far as burning my leg I will have to be careful.I think not have the noise and exhaust phumes coming in the window is worth being careful. I really like the way they turned out and i am i little bit closer now.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll disagree with the worth it part and with being careful. I can pretty much guarantee that you will not think of it once or twice and suffer the consequences.

It wouldn't be that complicated to tuck the pipes in under the body closer to the frame and away from legs and you can still get the fumes away.

I can see it now, you take a beautiful lady out for a Sunday brunch and forget to mention the exhaust pipe.

She goes to climb out in her pretty summer dress and bare legs :eek:

11. 29 coupe

29 coupe

blue one thanks for your concern you are sounding like my wife she thought it looked like you might burn your leg on it when she first saw it. so now that we both know it is there we will forget i am sure because were old. I guess burning her a couple of times is better than killing her. maybe put a note on the dash.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

After owning 3 Corvettes with side exhaust headers and no shields, a pickup and a hot rod with he same my wife and I will both tell you if a verbal warning fails to keep you from getting burned then USUALLY a heat induced reminder drives home the point. This country is getting so pussified that we are startled by the fact a cup of coffee is actually hot. Sad when the only ones having fun are the lawyers and the dumb asses that "can't see the forest for the trees".:mad:

Frank

13. 29 coupe

29 coupe

Sometimes looks are more important than comfort, just ask all the ladies that wear those spiked high heeled shoes!! They are hot too!! I modeled my exhaust after Mike Bishop's Old Bluey! It's been my guide for most of my build! Thank's Mike!

14. Squablow

Squablow

Planning something similar for my roadster, thanks for posting up your results.

15. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Well spoken fab32. And now they are trying to sue because they didn't get more napkins.

16. flthd31

flthd31

That's a great look! Helps fill that void under the door.
    You're not building a parade car...it's a hotrod!
    I've been running something like that for 15 years. Brushed lightly once early on...never been close since.

Attached Files:

17. 29 coupe

29 coupe

Thanks flthd31. I think it will work out ok. By the way what a cool coupe you have. I would love to see a close up on how you did your front fender brackets. I dig them and have the same ones but need ideas on brackets for mounting them. Thanks for your input!! Terry

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may not be your leg that is the big worry but the leg of your passenger. I knew a great looking gal with fantastic legs in the 60's that got her calf fried on the side pipes on a Corvette when she got out. The owner of the car didn't warn her about the pipes that he was way more than proud of.

That would be an all too easy way to fry the leg of a wife, girlfriend or child who might ride in the car.

19. 29 coupe

29 coupe

OK bottom line I built these headers because I liked them. I am not going to hide them under the frame, move them any where else, put up caution tape or build a cattle guard over them. thanks for all of the positive comments.

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

We have to be careful on expressing this real concern as we get labeled as dumb asses or worse and its pointed out that people like us may sue people because our coffee was too hot. :D

And somehow because we think of safety issues in our builds or in other things we see we are somehow "pussified" we aren't real hot rodders and will never have any fun. :D

I wonder who the dumb asses really are at times :D

Danger Will Robinson :D

21. alchemy

alchemy

How did you keep the tube from warping as you welded the slit up? That's a long pipe to be welding the whole length and have it come out perfect.

22. 29 coupe

29 coupe

i just tacked it here and there jumping around and it turned out good to me. Just go slow. Perfect 10? well I will give it a 8.5 maybe 9

23. flthd31

flthd31

I get quite a lot of questions about those cycle fenders so I posted some pics in my profile with a little explanation ...here's a link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a...?albumid=43474

Hope this helps