Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Merc found at Garage Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, May 16, 2012.

1. that totally rocks. I have to start going to your garage sales. All they have around here is old clothes and dirty microwaves.

2. NICE SCORE!! Best of luck with it. Well it's Friday & there's plenty of garage sales. I'm outta here.

3. 48flyer

48flyer

The old guy had a bunch of Craftsman tools for .50 a piece too. While I was winching the car up on the trailer, my old man was filling a box full of tools.
    I guess we both made out OK

4. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Hey, not so fast there... I hope you DO realize that by getting this car, you're depriving yourself of many of the joys and learning experiences that come with typical old car ownership. You're missing out on many nights of bleeding knuckles, MIG fumes and sanding dust. How long do you think you can skate by without ever having broken a mail order piston ring at 1 in the morning? You're passing up valuable experiences that will be the subject of many stories that will grow into big fat lies (with time and beer). To put it bluntly, you suck big time :)

I thought I sucked when I scored 2 Snap On tool boxes for free but I'm a minor leaguer for sure now!

Congrats on the car! It's a dead ringer for the car I grew up with. My dad had a beautiful 51 moredoor, black, skirts and a nice sun visor. I can still feel the mohair and smell the little green tree on the rear view mirror.

5. teddyp

teddyp

looks like a great score enjoy it

6. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Is it just me, or does your ford coupe have a 51 merc hub cap on its front wheel? Great score! Drive the car and enjoy it! I am a huge 4-door fan, love them! Jim

7. HELL YA! Craigslist is a bad habit! I had a buddy at work tell me there was a car on Craigslist like the ones I like. He said its hard to find due to the fact they posted it as a "1949 car"....Long story but well worth it! Soon to be my daily driver....It wasnt 500 bucks and it wasnt 5000 either hell it was 3000 green ones with a ton of upgrades!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  8. 48flyer

48flyer

It had 50 Merc wheels and hubcaps all the way around.:) I had them blasted and painted with new rubber on them and sold them after I switched to other wheels.
    Never thought Id need them.:eek:
    Wish I had those wheels and new tires back here now:(

9. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Man that has got to be the ultimate garage sale find. You must have good carma coming your way.Nice find ,cool car.

10. 48flyer

48flyer

11. CathyH

CathyH

Congratulations on getting that fantastic find running! May you experience many years of enjoyment cruising around in that beauty.

loboymusic likes this.
  12. 68wagon

68wagon

13. Obviously you haven't taken your dog anywhere in it yet, he/she doesn't seem too excited about it.

Enjoy it.

Doug.

14. Unbelievable!!!

15. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I think it is great to see people get lucky. I believe that luck is when opportunity meets preparation... So, work hard, pray hard, believe in yourself, and good things will happen... sorry I got a little carried away on the motivational talk. It's just stuff I tell myself while I am getting rid of dumb debt to have more disposable income to get lucky like this guy did.. Sweet Merc!

17. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Great car. It's cool that you aren't hacking it up!

18. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Wow, what a score! If it was under $5,000 that was a steal. I was at a lot of garage sales over the weekend and the only vehicle I saw for sale was a '71 chevy truck. "Real solid" the guy said as I looked at the rust coming through the primer. I bought a weed whacker from him...it wasn't $8, but it wasn't $10 either....:)

19. BRENT

BRENT

Nice Score! looks like nice clean car.

20. excellent score man!

21. mongo51

mongo51

I need to get my ass out of bed on weekends im off and to garage sells.lol

22. Cool vid, car looks great.

If you look in the classifieds on here, there is a guy in MN named Roger that I've talked to, he's got 3-4 parts cars. Just putting that out there in case you need some bumpers.

23. 48flyer

48flyer

I would really like to find a set of new tail light and parking light bezels for it.
    It came with new rechromed bumpers
    I also need the wrap around grille extensions

24. mercsforever

mercsforever

I thought the '39 Packard 4-Door I bought at a garage sale in 2002 was a good
    deal at $3,500.00...........rather have a MERC anyday!!!

25. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

How's the Merc now? On the road yet?