Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can you run a p/s box without the power?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Mar 22, 2014.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I need to replace the manual steering box in my '61 olds right away(too loose). I want to change it over to power and already have the P/S column to match. I can get the reman p/s box cheap. My dilemma: I'm not sure I'm keeping the 394 and so I don't want to buy a p/s pump until my engine is decided. I would buy the corresponding pump for the engine. Can I run the box without assist? I would flush, fill then cap the box with fluid in it.
    Any thoughts?

2. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

You can, yes, but it will be VERY, VERY difficult to steer.

The "power" in power steering allows the steering box to have a much quicker ratio, ie. fewer turns lock to lock and quicker response from the steering wheel, but with that quicker ration comes the need for increased effort, hence the assist from the power steering pump. Without that power, it will be kind of like trying to pedal a 10 speed bike in 10th gear up a hill.

Chris

3. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Most GM PS pumps are basically the same. Its the brackets that they fit into that are different for various engines. If you go with a different engine, just get a bracket to match.

4. I wouldn't. HRP

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You will have arms like Popeye, pretty quick.

6. !!!NO
    You'll break the rag joint and stress the hell out of the wheel, column mount and everything in between .

Few months ago, a guy blows his steering hose and decides to still drive it. He makes a right turn heading North as I'm heading south. He goes way wide and left of center and tears my truck up.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  7. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Just run the P/S pump and if you switch engines get a new bracket for it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Connect a line between the 2 ports on the sector. We ran them all the time in dirt track cars. As long as the car is moving, it's not hard to steer. If a pump is connected and not turning it gets harder.

9. verde742

verde742

Very dangerous to those around you, don't !!!

10. You will also have some looseness in the steering because of the amount you have to turn the wheel to activate the valving in the box. You won't like it, buy the pump and do it right!

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I remember the 60s. Most cars used a separate belt to run the power steering and I saw many cars running without the belt because of a sector, hose or pump leak. If it was so difficult or dangerous to run without it, manufacturers would have had to make the vehicles quit running when the power steering failed. Technically it isn't power steering, it's power assisted steering. It is only really needed when the vehicle needs to be turned while not moving.

12. Yeah, like parking, turning off a stop sign, into a drive way, you know just normal everyday city driving. You see what they did with the belts now. Lol.

You could ask the guy who hit my truck how it works.

I think I can show you a busted rag joint or two from my own "no belt" adventures.
    Not fun when it goes but thankfully it was from turning while not moving.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  13. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

You must of stalled a car with power steering before,if not go for a ride shut the key off and see how it does.not good .And those that say you can do it on a daily basis are not your freinds.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yes , if you have "POPEYE" fore arms....

15. just Mike

just Mike

I wouldn't want to put that much stress on my column and rag joint for very long.just to get home with a broken belt, sure I would do it.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've tried to steer a few of those old battle wagons when the power steering was out back in the 70's when I did a lot of power steering work in shops in Texas and I can't for the life of me see why the hell you would want to put a power steering box on the car without putting the pump on with it. The brackets to mount a pump on that engine shouldn't cost all that much and it's possible if you can fabricate a bit that you can rework some somewhat similar junk yard brackets to fit the engine and work if you can't find the proper brackets . You should be able to fit a later pump even if you have to change things around a bit.

The last thing we want to read on here is a thread on how you wrecked the car because you couldn't get it to turn and miss something.

17. sadsack

sadsack

you wont like it.
    sadsack

18. Ya can, but it'll give ya hemorrhoids if ya ain't got 'em already!

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are much easier to steer if all the fluid is out of them. If you've got one around to experiment with, pull off the hoses, jack the front of the car up, and then turn the wheel lock to lock a few times. Once the sector pumps all the fluid out, they steer pretty much like a manual box. I discovered this years ago when flushing out a steering box. The bigger, and more dangerous, issue is that if you flush the fluid out, there's nothing in the box to lubricate it. I suppose you could run one dry for a couple weeks, as there would be some residual lube in it, but I wouldn't want to do that for long.

20. R Pope

R Pope

Putting the torque through the valving without a pump can wreck the valve system, so it won't work right when you do put the pump on. Been there, done that!

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I was thinking!

22. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Ok, I am not going to do it. I'll convert it all at once. The 394 pump is way different than the SBC pump though., so I would be buying two complete setups.
    Thanks for the advice!

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Almost every Camaro or Monte Carlo that was run on a dirt track in the mid west used a power steering sector without a pump because few Camaros and no Monte Carlos came without power steering. The p word was used to describe those who ran power steering and stock pumps didn't live long on high revving engines.

24. ray

ray
    from colorado

i've blown a rag joint doing that. actually, it was my girlfriend driving when it blew. i would not recommend it.

25. jesse1980

jesse1980

Just do it right the first time. It will save you money and time.

26. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

I called your mother. She's headed over now to lock your tools away. And your firearms. And matches. ... just until the fever subsides and you are able to think rationally again. :)

27. chopped

chopped

Ran my 36 for ten years with it looped, never had a problem, liked the feel.

28. mustangsix

mustangsix

You can't adapt a generic GM pump to the 394 Olds? I would have thought the only difference would end up being the brackets.

29. Everyone's skill level and imagination is different. I have no idea what yours is or relics is.

But I did find this :

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1346576,parttype,7380
    It's for a 64 not a 61 but looks real similar to the standard GM PS pump. Maybe the change from 61-64 is easy? Not sure.