Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '28 Model A AV8 40's Era Build Thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 28A, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Thanks guys, and yes.. reversing the negative is exactly what happened ;)

So have a little more to update from this arvo.. finally ballsed up and once again cut my original Ford windscreen posts.. last time i removed 4" from them.. this time i cut a 10mm wedge out of them and raked them back.. So stoked on the results, exactly the look i was after.

I have only welded the sides so far, will have to disassemble them and do a little slit on the back to get the rear face of the posts flush but can do that down the track. Also may end up chopping the screen another 5mm so that the original finger pulls fit over the dash rail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And heres one of the original fingerpulls with what "corrosion" was left taken off with a wire wheel.

[​IMG]

2. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

That looks really good been thinking about raking mine also

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

The raked windscreen posts look good, the angle looks spot on :D

4. Colin, definitely do it mate.. makes suuuuch a difference!

Waxhead, thanks mate. I cut 5mm out, tacked it and thought nah.. needs a bit more so went another 5mm and thought yep thats the look i'm after!

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I. Thought 21 stud motors had the water pumps in the heads, are Aussie motors different?

6. Carter

Carter

Only 32-36, the last of the 21 studs, 37-early 38 had block mounted pumps.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Nice build, looks great.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice touches. Sub'd. Gary

9. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah that angle on the windshield is perfect! Great eye.

10. As above the last of the 21 studs had the pumps in the block just like the 24 stud. They infact, are the same pumps used on the 24 studs. The late 21 studs had the floater bearings just like the early 24 stud engines. I'm going to build a 21 stud because its a bit different.. you rarely see flatheads here as it is, let alone a 21 stud in a car. The ally heads will make it that bit more different / unique again.

Thanks mate! I thought it was perfect as well.. not too much.. just right.

11. Wardog

Wardog

Cool build, this is an Aussie 37 21stud truck engine, destined for my model a coupe.

Attached Files:

12. That looks just like mine. My engine has the same two belt crank pulley and had the same cylinder heads with the firing order originally. It had an aluminium manifold though, and not the cast one like yours has.

I've now got the edelbrock super dual and ally heads for my 21 stud to spruce it up a bit though :D

Have a little update, started on making a hood top today. Bit of a pain actually.. Its not perfect but its probably pretty close.

Started out by drawing up the dimensions on a sheet of ally i had.. and then after i'd done that i placed an original hood top side on and then the other side and drew around it.. somehow it ended up being a little short on the cowl end. I will likely prop the front of the hood up a few mm to give myself an even gap all the way through.

[​IMG]

After marking the center front and rear, and liberal use of tie downs.. and this is where i am at now. I am well aware that the hood won't stay in that shape once i release the tie downs but at least it gives me an idea of where i'm at with it. I was considering putting the latches on before taking the tie downs off.. and then if i need to give it a little more roll in the sides i can do that then?

[​IMG]

Once i've got the shape sorted i'm going to bang in two or three rows of louvers into the top. Always thought it'd be cool to have someone sign write "Flathead Powered" or "Edelbrock Powered" or something along those lines into the sides of the hood top. Bit of a throwback to early days once again.

13. Wardog

Wardog

From what I've been told if you're engine has the twin rib pulleys it will be a truck engine as well. I have an offenhauser super dual for this one.

14. Does that make it any better than a passenger car engine? I know its never been rebuilt, standard bore ect.. But i would've thought it'd still be a 221ci engine just like the passenger car ones.

15. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nick, that is probably a truck engine but after all this time who knows.
    The heads are identical to the 21 stud engine that was in my '37 coupe and will be going in my Model A roadster.
    Are the alloy heads you mentioned original Ford or aftermarket speed equipment?
    Mike.

16. I suppose it probably is a truck engine if thats what the info says.. I got it sitting in half a '36 chassis that was converted to a trailer setup that powered a saw mill and later a welder or something or other.. I guess i don't know if the gearbox was '36 or '37 but it lined up on the frame mounts and the front also sat on the original mounts.

The ally heads are factory Ford, i don't think there were aftermarket speed equipment type heads for these engines in particular. I know there was some for earlier 21 studs.. but have never seen anything for the late 21.

17. edfueler

edfueler

Hey there 28 A. I love the build. The bonnet is coming on well. I also love the fact that you're going a 21 stud flattie over an 8BA. Just my 2c worth on signlettering it, I've seen "flathead powered" written on cars before but to me it doesn't sit right on a period build as everything out there was flathead powered anyway. It'd be like saying "ordinary, run of the mill motor". You might advertise the fact that it had one of those "fancy overhead" motors, however. Just my humble opinion.
    I can't wait to see your roadster out there eating up the tarmac. Looks perfect. Regards -Ed

18. Thats actually a really good point.. i had not considered that. Thats why i was leaning perhaps towards "Edelbrock Powered" or something, something advertising the speed equipment used. Did guys do that back in the day? I can't remember whether i've seen it in the 40's thread or not..

As far as 8BA's are concerned.. i'm not really a fan of them to be honest. I hear they are a bit more of a pain to put into a Model A because they are a bit longer than the earlier flatheads, but i kinda just don't like the look of them as much as the earlier engines.

19. edfueler

edfueler

Yeah, you can see speed parts endorsements on lots of the old lakes era cars, especially, if those drivers got free parts out of it. , you even see it hand painted on in white shoe polish for race-day advertising. My favourite is "Noise by Crager", painted beside the headers.

I have seen a photo of an early lakes car with "21 stud" painted on it, maybe it was to proclaim its underdog status if it were running up against 24 stud motors, but I don't know.

20. I have considered also "221ci Powered".. since every flathead is a 239 *rolls eyes* haha.

I like the fact that 21 stud engines are very much overlooked, especially over here.. and yet i'd imagine when mine is rebuilt it'll run faster than my mates 24 stud in his roadster..

21. edfueler

edfueler

Yeah while the 21 studs are overlooked I might actually be able to afford a decent one. I have plenty of work ahead of me in banger land before I satrt dabbling with a V8, though.
    Glad to hear that yours should whop a 24 stud.

22. FlatJan

FlatJan

nice build, i do much like your hood louvers and gear shift knob, av8 way to go!

23. I initially had a banger in the roadster as well, with original box and rear end.. found the '39 merc box.. then came along the 21 stud flatty.. it sorta went downhill from there haha.

24. Thanks!

25. Wardog

Wardog

The Truck engines are no better or worse than the passenger car ones, They just had more accessories to run hense the extra vee belt. The ally heads were a truck thing as well acroding to Vanpelts but were prone to corrosion and often replaced with iron units. The engine I showed is a 37 from all the info I have read witch I am realy happy about because it is an oddball. The first to run the central water outlet in the heads and the water pumps in the block, so at a quick glance it looks like a 24 stud engine. It was also gifted to me by a friend and has had a factory rebuild with the id plate on the block stating the "new" bearing diameters as well as being updated with the 46-48 distributer and converted to 12 v.

26. Nobey

Nobey

Just found this thread. Another nice car going together on the H.A.M.B.
    I especially like your aluminum deck and hood sides with the rivets. Great
    40s look. Rich.....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Carlinaus likes this.
  27. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Great build! I have a 21 stud as a spare, it came with the firing order on the heads, I believe these we're used in Ford Pilots into the 50's?

28. I too have heard Ford Pilot, the dizzy mine had was also a pilot type so my engine may well be a Pilot engine.. although it was in a '36 chassis that had been that way since the 1940's.. so i don't really know if its a truck engine with a different dizzy, or a very early Pilot with the double row pulley..

Also, i since screwed up the hood top in the pics.. one louver line was a bit far inwards than it was meant to be.. and then cut another out and did the louvers backwards because i was busy talking to a mate while i drew my start line on the wrong side :rolleyes: so will buy another sheet sometime in the next few days.

At least the seconds sheets are only $30 for a 2400 x 1200 sheet.. so i got one deck lid skin and have enough off cuts to make some smaller stuff later on if need be.. not bad for $30 i suppose either way.

29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm going to enjoy watching this build happen, tis looking good!