Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Year in Cars: 1957

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Dec 12, 2013.

1. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Man O man I'm digging on those wagons big time. Another vote for the 57' Vette. Looks great from every angle !!!

57 Nov. 2011 007.JPG

57 Nov. 2011 008.JPG

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great pics-love the Buick Caballero wagon, in 57 my folks bought a 57 Olds fiesta wagon with a J2 and air-loved that car too. My 2nd car in 59 was a 57 Pontiac Starchief 2 dr ht with tripower-was very fast for the times-surprised a lot of the supposedly fast cars of the day and won a lot at Madera drags-great car.
    Currently have a 57 BelAir 283 FI car that is fun and a little unique these days-1st bought in in 76.

3. Awesome thread and some great pics! I certainly love my '57!

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Rebel was capable of 0 to 60 mph acceleration in just 7.5 seconds with its standard 255 hp carbureted engine. However, with the optional EFI was tested by Motor Trend, and they recorded this sedan going faster from a standing start than the 1957 Chevrolet Corvette with mechanical fuel injection.

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Rebel was capable of 0 to 60 mph acceleration in just 7.5 seconds with its standard 255 hp carbureted engine. However, with the optional EFI was tested by Motor Trend, and they recorded this sedan going faster from a standing start than the 1957 Chevrolet Corvette with mechanical fuel injection.

[​IMG]

First factory big engine in smaller platform production car. The GTO gets the credit these days but welcome to the "Official" first Muscle Car 7 years earlier.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Not really the subject of this thread, but the first muscle car was really the '36 Buick Century, and the theme was deliberately and successfully exploited in 1955 by the Chrysler 300.

7. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

Here is a picture of a forgotten '57.....The El Moroco

Attached Files:

8. Just buy them all!

9. Chappy Wildhood

Chappy Wildhood

My favorite car memory from Childhood is my Pops 57 Olds coupe white over Robin egg Blue.Happy times..I was just tall enough to look directly into the word Oldsmobile and run my fingers up and and down the grille bars making piano string sounds while smelling anti-freeze and hearing the tick of motor cooling off. Love those turn signals..always thought it would be cool to put a couple of Lucas Flamethrowers in their places..or maybe aircraft landlghts so there would be doubt which direction I'd be turning(hah)...From a style point of view The 57 Eldo Convert is the tits for me..

10. Chappy Wildhood

Chappy Wildhood

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Fair enough. But does that really count, since they never made EFI Ramblers available to the public?
    I don't think the GTO nor the Rambler can lay claim as the first for that.

12. 1957 I was a little guy. My favorite ride was my '57 Murray pedal car, styled to look like a '50 Mercury convertible.
    I had good taste, I primed the whole car in light gray.
    Rode 2 neighborhood chicks (one at a time) around the block with that mini sled.

13. beautiful shot in a historic setting, the brand-new GM Technical Center.

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

A truly spectacular place, architected by Eero Saarinen.

He also designed the TWA terminal at JFK airport, and the Gateway Arch (aka 'St Louis Arch'). If you're not familiar with his work, spend a few minutes googling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Beautiful photos, thank you. Sad to say, through the years the company has not always been protective of the architect's original vision.

16. Damned fine choice too I say.

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

18. I love the Packard. Is that wrong?