Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration All I want to do is drive this thing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny49, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Johnny49

Johnny49

After three and a half years of not being able to find full time work in the profession I chose 30 years ago, I was finally a serious player for a great gig. One that would have allowed me to start putting a little money toward the truck again after a long lull in activity. Got the word this week that they're going with someone else. So the same old struggle just to survive from check to check doing three part time jobs continues. Forget having anything extra to put into the dream ride. I know there are many out there who know the feeling all too well.

I had already planned to put this video up yesterday to honor the first day of Spring and the renewed sense of hope that comes with it. I guess the rejection call I got the day before makes it that much more timely. I know it's not a typical post for this board, but I hope you'll give it a chance anyway. I figured I might as well use some of the skills I'm familiar with (that don't cost me anything to employ) in an effort to keep the dream driving this truck alive. I don't post much here, but I have received a ton of inspiration from just kicking back and cruising the HAMB. Thank you all so much! If you like the video I hope you'll share it. Thanks again...

The "John" Behind John's Old Truck
    http://youtu.be/_qIzP-urfG4

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Very nice video I hope the employment situation brings new opportunities for work in your field. Thank you for posting and keep your head up

3. bgaro

bgaro

at least you have your truck. i just lost my coupe in a divorce, my dog died, and my hemroids are killin' me. how's that for an ass ache. (true story)

4. The linkage is nothing, but I am not there so maybe just maybe you will have to figure it out for yourself.

Here are some things to remember while it is just becomming sporing and radfio like journalism and many other mainstay occupations are well on there way out. There is a wish list and a must be done list. I have been fighting both of those for well over 40 years. Right now I am fighting it on my dailey (yep I have a dailey and that's it always been that way). My wish list is 600 dollars and my budget it 200. I am going to pick up my parts tonight with 200 bucks, which means I have to narrow it down to the bare essentials.

Your truck is now the same way, it will run and drive without a bed, you have wheels and maybe the tires that you have will get you rolling maybe they won't but while there are perfect tires you may find cheap ones that will do for the time being. Brakes are essential for damned sure, and while your budget may not handle new replacement drums the HAMB is AD truck central and there are no doubt used ones that will suffice.

You catch my drift right? I am not trying to be an ass just trying to open your eyes. Scab it together the best you can with what you have available to you and drive it and grin. Someone won't think you are cool but the hell with em. They are not you are they.

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I enjoyed the video, thanks.

Best of luck in your endeavors, both employment and truck.

Witch Hazel knocks 'em down.

6. ChefMike

ChefMike

its a nice video< best of luck on finding the right job and dont give up on your dream !

7. Johnny49

Johnny49

Totally catch your drift, thanks! Believe me, if I can get just enough together to drive it, that's exactly what we'll do. I have the bed and all new connecting hardware. And the original wood is all refinished and looks killer, just need to replace the rotted out front wall and rear pockets. The wheels and tires are admittedly wish list material. What I'll probably end up doing is throwing another can of fix-a-flat in the one that's not holding air and we'll get started down the road with what what we have. I honestly couldn't care less about whether or not it looks cool. Just don't want a hard time from the DMV when I go to register the thing.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I really appreciate the positive thoughts and encouragement. As usual, the HAMB rocks!

8. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

Like the video. really enjoyed it. Don't know the size tires you need but if you have a pull a part or something like that you should be able to come up with some. Have you tried move the linkage under the hood by the steering column or the dog legs on the transmission

9. Johnny49

Johnny49

Thanks! I had fun putting it together...

I have not tried that. Honestly, I think we'll get the linkage thing figured out fairly easily. We were running through the gears when we first got it started again, so it shouldn't take much. I was actually looking for a punch line for that part of the video and I thought "stuck in first gear" would be at least slightly amusing...:D

Thanks again!