Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1960s What? Fender skirt quandary.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by REVEREND JAKE, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Hopefully someone will have an answer for this ditty.

I recently purchased a set of skirts that were labeled for "1964 Ford Galaxie 500 & XL Fender Skirts," but when I clamped them to my car, a 1964 Galaxie XL 500, they did not fit.

I compared one skirt to a 1964 Thunderbird (the last image) and it pretty much fit the opening, only the body line was different and the skirt hooks forward a bit.

Any ideas? Even in the Ford family?

Attached Files:

2. Squablow

Squablow

Anything stamped into the lip along the bottom?

3. Not that I saw. But the insides still have surface rust on them. I can't check because I left the skirts in Dallas.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Rev. Jake! How are ya? Good to see you posting something! Give me a few minutes and I'll be back with skirt i.d.

5. It's been a while! Thanks!

6. 63Compact

63Compact

Not flat enough across the top to be Fairlane. Good luck

7. I have a stainless set that looks like those and can't figure what they fit

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. R Pope

R Pope

'63-64 Merc? They are more "swoopy" than the Fords. I have both, will compare them later today. BTW, some Merc skirts were shiny.

9. BUHOG

BUHOG

clean the bottom edge of both skirts. there should be letter and no. ( if they are foxcraft C 60 chev-1960 b-65 buick 1965 ans so on

10. R Pope, I looked around on Google Images and think the 1964 Mercury Marauder looks pretty close, but I can't tell if the front of the skirt hooks forward.

I hope to find out more when my buddy Mark X cleans up the inside of the skirts for priming. Hopefully there will be a visible stamping.

11. Here's a side profile of the Marauder. Looks pretty close.

Attached Files:

12. Side by side.

Attached Files:

13. Does that look the same to you guys? Chime in.

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Looks a lot like what I had on a 62 Galaxie so could be 61-2 Ford.