Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Amelia Island, 2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Mar 11, 2014.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Anyone else attend last Sunday's Councours? As advertised, there was a fairway full of wonderful cars and a zillion people. I didn't see any vintage / historic hot rods, but there were enough fantastic 50's rides and OEM concept cars to fascinate the rodder or customizer in you. I was mostly interested in "specials" and all the Offy powered racers. The BMW art car was fantastic, and in it's own stroller-proof case. If you have more photos of the show, please add them here for everyone to see. Gary

Attached Files:

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A few more...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And lastly...

Attached Files:

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

Fantastic pics! Thanks for that. That MG special had me intrigued & I Googled it...built & raced around the early 50's. It was restored in 2003. I wonder why they used later Stewart-Warner gauges?

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Glad you liked them. Anyone else go? Gary

6. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Thanks for posting...we were there with Bill Akin's Pebble Beach double winning Mid Continent Securities Spl..........had a great time and I especially fell in love with the '33 roadster race car #5.....Joe

Attached Files:

7. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks for sharing !!!

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wayne's hot rod roadster / special is quite the car. Very nicely built. Gary

9. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

A pity about the car in the plastic box.

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Awesome beautiful cars. Thank you for sharing. I kind of like that box myself!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Hey Man', just saw this post. Wanted to post some pics, for the last 2 weeks. Me, Nads, Ramblur, Joe and young Miles made the trek, up there in the Caddy Brougham. This show is nothing short of mindblowing. No true car guy, can walk away, without seeing something to get emotional about. Near impossible to pick a favorite. Too many genre;s. Wish we knew you where gonna be there. Pricey??? Absolutely, but worth every penny. Level of craftsmanship is inspiration for me to raise my personal bar.

Attached Files:

12. Thanks for taking the time to post,,great photos. HRP

13. Gary, Hope you don't mind if I Hi-Jack your thread. :cool:

We all loved the Brass Era display, with focus on Underslungs. Where are you going to see so many of these beauties in one place?? Their details are a flashback into early 20 century design.
    Greg and Casey, from Tv's Backroad Gold, dressed to the 9's in period correct garb. Super nice down to earth folks. Corky was donning a full length "duster" Brave soul being that it was north of 80 deg F

Attached Files:

14. McLaren was one of the featured marque's. These fire breathing monsters are larger than life, when viewed up close and personal. Played with them as a youngster, on my AF/X slotcar track. WOW. Penske/Mark Donahue Porsche 917 is unbelievable. Steamroller sized rear tires to harness the 1000hp:eek:

Attached Files:

15. This may be the most In-Famous '32 Ford ever built??? Apparently commissioned by Ford to Pinifarina, it was a look into the shape of things to come. 32 front 33 back. This one off proto-type deserves it's own thread. Wish I had time to take more pictures. May be owned by Ford Motor Company. ??:confused: Green paint was killer. :cool:

Attached Files:

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Glad to see some new pix. Keep them coming. Next year, rendezvous for sure. Gary

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

18. 41 C28

41 C28

Am I missing something with the car in the display case?

Beautiful cars thanks for posting the pictures.

19. First off, this car is quite off topic from anything "traditional. But you must understand that this is more than any old automobile. It brings along tremendous prominence and is the first in a series of "art cars" commissioned, by BMW, painted by Alexander Calder.
    Wikipedia quote:
    "
    The BMW Art Car Project was introduced by the French racecar driver and auctioneer Hervé Poulain, who wanted to invite an artist to create a canvas on an automobile.
    In 1975, Poulain commissioned American artist and friend Alexander Calder to paint the first BMW Art Car. This first example would be a BMW 3.0 CSL which Poulain himself would race in the 1975 Le Mans endurance race.<SUP id=cite_ref-1 class=reference>[1]</SUP>

Other contributors would follow and include the likes of Andy Warhol. The box is used to protect the aging cracking paint. Similar to a museum housing Princess Dianna's wardrobe in a temperature controlled glass case.
    Feel free to further your research at:
    http://www.bmwdrives.com/bmw-artcars.php
    or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Art_Car

And that's all I'm gonna say about this, before Ryan closes this thread.:eek:

JT

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The BMW art cars are pretty cool and I like the Calder, Stella, Lictenstein and Coons treatments the most. I was in art school (photography) when the Calder came out and it was fairly controversial and pretty far from the more pedestrian "art cars" which can be entertaining but are usually just strange. Gary