Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Red with thick black pinstripes

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Lime green.......(Not really, just seeing if you were paying attention.)

Hell Jerry, it's your car and you haven't figured what color to paint the fenders yet? Flag down a traveling monk and ask him. I think you should cover them in Yak fur.

3. budd

budd

red is my vote, next month it will be 4 years i have followed this thread.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Maybe that would be a good compromise...Red Squirrel pelts. :p

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

Wise choice everybody. Red it is!

Still no word from Ken. Should I call him and listen to excuses or give him the weekend and call Monday?

Worked on the fenders again. Rubbed them down with metal prep the gave them a light sanding. My tube of creamy light bondo dried up over the winter so need another. I daubed on the old fashioned stuff on one of the aprons and sanded it. Love to sand bondo--yes sireee! Found another used car to finance the speedster. 2005 PT Cruiser. Hope to turn it quick. Has it been 4 years?! Time flies when you spend it with good friends.

Jerry

Well, I tried four times to upload some pictures and this is the message I got:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Log out and back in - that should fix the security token error. Ryan is working on the site.

7. yonahrr

yonahrr

Pictures

Well, I had 4 pics on my list but only 2 loaded. Why? Anyway, aren't they nice? Aren't you glad you waited? More bondo and sanding today. Maybe primer tomorrow.

Jerry

Attached Files:

8. hmmmm plaid .....the fenders need to be plaid

9. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I saw a Pink Panther cartoon once with striped paint. It was available in vertical and horizontal. I think that's what's needed on the fenders.

10. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

I think you need to toss those fenders.... and make new ones out of Brass!

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Pink and blue. I remember that one.

12. yonahrr

yonahrr

I know this is boring but all I did was bondo. This is probably a 2 hour job for a competent body man, but alas that's not me. I did take a break from the speedster on Sunday to go to the ER because a traveling monk on a skateboard fell off and broke his arm. He tried to pay them in Benedictine axle grease but they insisted on cash. Diagnosis: Fracture of the distal end of the radius. What about tartan paint?

Jerry

Attached Files:

13. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395711453.142024.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395711462.779375.jpg

Sounds like a fair payment to me. Wonder why they didn't bite?

14. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,

You probably would want something in a red tartan. I could authorise use of the Innes tartan if you like.

Jack

[​IMG]

15. Jack,

That color is pretty close to my family's tartan (MacKay)... got an extra can :D?

And Jerry, you gotta tell that kid to stop chasing squirrels with his skateboard!!!... at least it wan't his playing arm :)

16. make sure all the fenders are painted while in the correct position of how they will be mounted so the plaid does not run into a bias pattern

17. OR do a different clan tartan for each fender- just THINK of all the retinas you'll singe :D

18. Jack, I love that! I need the Phillips Welsh tartan please - see if they have it in Hunting would you? :D

Steve

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

19. Geez, I just realized that this was how they painted my dad's cooler from when I was little :)

Attached Files:

20. ha I have a collection of those coolers .. A local lumber yard painted the doors of the delivery trucks plaid .. with the proper sequence of masking and colors e-z peasy

21. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

My granddaughter loves the plaid skateboard I built her. Didn't even notice the paint was all crooked.

[​IMG]

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

What have I missed?!

My internet went down yesterday. I talked to people in India but they couldn't help. The guy came out this morning. Guess what? The problem was downtown. I knew that! But look what I missed. I love it! Still no word from Ken the upholsterer. It's been too cold to spray primer down here in the South. But I did get the fender braces bolted on so we're going forward with fenders! I'm calling Ken tomorrow.

I tried to upload pictures and it said my security token was missing. When I contacted the HAMB about the problem I got this message.

ERROR: We detect suspicious activity from your network; to complete this action, please contact the webmaster.

What network? What webmaster?

Jerry

23. yonahrr

yonahrr

Fenders and upholstery

We're getting close to the wire. The season of car shows and summer driving is almost upon us and I want to be behind the wheel of a big red speedster. I need fenders and I need upholstery. I called Ken but he hasn't called back. I feel like a fat chick without a prom date. The fenders are on me. These are the hardest part, especially the rear ones. I started back on them today. A little voice says, "Call Bruce and tell him to finish the bodywork and paint the fenders." Damn it must be nice to have cash laying around! $400 for a broken arm doesn't help. :) The weather has been good so I guess I'll prime tomorrow and see where I'm at. Ken!! I'll call him again. You see, in a little town there just isn't a lot of options when it comes to upholstery, especially if you want a decent job.

Jerry

Attached Files:

24. your doing a fine job ... keep your spirits up :)

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

Damn, did I sound that depressed? Okay, I'm getting back to work!

26. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

I know you have been waiting for me to cast my vote on color, so here goes. Medium maroon fenders with the above mentioned wide black pinstripes. Option two darker maroon with gold leaf pinstripes. BTW, Napa has burnished gold pinstripe tape in 1/8, and 1/4 " wide.
    I love your work. I agree with you on the body work. With a water pump or such, you take it off, clean everything, and install it, and it is perfect. But there is always just a little bit of a wave, or a line is not just right with body work. It always seems to need just one more touch of filler........

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

There's no tool like an old tool

So I'm messing around while I wait for Ken. I got out the aluminum for the step on top of the ice box. It needs the sides heliarced on it. Jon at Phoenix Machine owes me a favor so I was getting everything lined up and clamped for him to weld. The aluminum was anodized and I had to get that stuff off. I was using a Makita palm sander and the hold down for the sandpaper broke. Cheap crap! I dug around in my tool drawer and what do you think I found? My old Rodac jitterbug I bought when I was about 20. I plugged it up to an air line and it worked great! Man, they knew how to man stuff back then. I was so excited I stopped taking pictures.
    UPDATE
    I debated maroon fenders but... Hey Ken called me. I might be going to the prom after all. He's still working on the pontoon boat. Says Monday is the big day. Got pulled away because tenants broke all their appliances: a dryer and a stove. Primer tomorrow

Jerry

Attached Files: