Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ok i been holdin out, my survivor 34 5 window coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by titus, Mar 19, 2014.

1. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

You live in a great little town. I was there last summer for a wedding reception. We stayed at a real old but restored hotel, cant remember the name of it. It was just a block off the main street. The reception was held on the big newer boat on the river, the silver star or something like that. It was a great weekend

2. Very Cool! I love '33-'34 fords!

3. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

4. Amazing find, can't wait to see more of your build.

5. n847

n847

Wow!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I saw that on craigslist for a while and was hoping someone would save it and do it up right. You have done very well. Can't wait to see it done.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Great save! I am looking forward to see how you evolve it. Is this a keeper?

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Great find Titus. Will you be using those front fenders? If not I could put em to good use! :D

9. I loved it in its shitty form! It's gonna be sooooooo cool!

10. Roadsir

Roadsir

Jeff that's looking pretty damn cool.

11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wicked cool coupe but dude how are you going to fit into her : )

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shame on you! What else are your holding out on? LOL! Awesome Car!

13. TV

TV

Whats your plan for the back of the trans? Are you going to convert it to a Ford back? Or are you going to run it as is and make up a special drive shaft? Just wondering. That is a bitchen car.--TV

14. titus

titus

Thanks everyone for the comments, when the car was for sale it had a higher price than what i felt it was worth, we drove 4 hours to see the car, talked with the owner and worked out a deal both of us could live with, which was much much better than the asking price, then i also sold off the 289 and toploader to recoupe some more money, so over all im into it for pretty fair i think. The frame was really tough but its coming along nicely, lots of people would have pulled it off the frame but i couldnt, its there and its gonna stay, it might take some hard work but itll be good.

TV,

I have the end of a torched off drive shaft with a good u-joint from a lasalle, so i took and measured the driveshaft tubing diamerter and i i went to the junkyard yesterday and picked up a ford 4x4 rear driveshaft which is a slip yoke that has the same tube diameter, so i will cut the ford end off the tube and weld on the cad lasalle tube end. ill get some pics when i finish it up.

I also was back on it today, i did some mocking up of some of the other bits, got the generator bolted on the edmunds intake, also got a fan spacer and fan on it. then set about working on the steering, i had to make a little bump out for the f1 box to clear the starter and that helped with getting the angle and placement correct (dont worry it will got fully boxed of course) ive not always been a huge fan of bumping out the frame but i figured its what they would have done. Then i went on to pedals, i bastardized one of my repop ansen type pedals to take dual 40 ford masters as im going with a early 50s look and they didnt have a 60 thru 62 chevy truck master in the 50s. also attatched is a pic of the cool headlight stand, someone chopped down some aluminum ones, sad thing is i only have one!

downsized_0318041732.jpg downsized_0319041019.jpg downsized_0319042134.jpg downsized_0319042135.jpg downsized_0319042141.jpg downsized_0319042135a.jpg downsized_0319042138a.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  15. Wow, that is cool, then you go and drop in a HEMI, 100% Badass!

kidcampbell71 and EVL401 like this.
  16. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

I like it a lot! Definately a heavy East coast vibe. Looks like it had a 32 grille shell on it when you got it. You sticking with it or going to swap to a 33-34 shell? My $.02 is for the latter.

17. Very cool Jeff!

18. titus

titus

Sticking with the 32 shell, i generally like a 33/34 shell on 33/34s but channeled cars can pull it off.

jeff

19. titus

titus

Started working on the floors and subrails today, as per usually the original stuff that was in the car was super crude and poorly done, again, probably not done by the person that chopped it! i had cut out all the front ugly a while back when i was pulling out the motor and trans, so now i basically cut out from the B pillars forward, at this point i will be doing just from the B pillars forward before gsta unless i get more done, then ill go back further.

Some one had replace the original subrails in the door jamb area because of the channel, basically a flat peice of metal bent over the top of the frame, so i took and cut it close to the bend on the top side and basically followed the curve of the frame, then i took and put a peice of 1x2 acroos between the B pillars and attatched it to them, then bolted it to the frame ( there was absolutely nothing holding the body on from the B pillars forward!!!!! and im not sure whats holding it on from the B pillars back) Then i took some 1x3 and made some peices that went side to side at the front and bolted them to the frame and X member legs. then i took some more 1x2 and cut a couples slices in it and curved it to match the frame, i welded those to the front and rear peices and then tach welded the door jamb area to the tubing, i plan to redo them and put new rockers in at some point but not right now. Then i went on to put a few more peices of tubing along side the trans that the tunnel will attatch too also. Then i made some floor pans and rolled some beads in them, i usually bend a flange over on the floors and sink them down in the tubing but these may just be welded on top the tubing as when i do the sill plate area the new peices will likely lay on the top of the tubing so well see.

JEFF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  20. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

Aw man, nice one! Agree with the East Coast vibe, good luck with the build! -K

21. Welcome to the model 40 club, Jeff...there are quite a few 33-34s being built lately. You've got a lot better start than I began with! It'll be bad-ass for sure.

22. titus

titus

Thanks, but ive been in a the model 40 club for a long time, ive got a 33 fordor that ive had forever and had a 34 pheaton up till i got this and technically dunno if it counts but ive got a 34 truck too:)

It looks better but id bet they really werent that far apart!

23. titus

titus

got some more done this afternoon, had to notch the front crossemember for the radiator to work, yes its aluminum, at some point i plan to get a copper/brass but the budget for a custom rad isnt there right now.

also made some hood suport rods, my buddy is gonna come over and weld some new mounting tabs on the radiator tomorrow.

I also shortened the driveshaft to the correct length, tached it together and stuck it in there so i could make sure i measure correctly and so i can make the driveshaft tunnel.

The plan is to do a big thrash on it over the weekend and possibly get it running, or at least close to running.

also rolled it outside for a quick pic, the nose needs to come back up about an inch, no rake on this car, east coasts cars didnt and to me the car just doesnt look correct with the front low.

jeff

downsized_0319041019.jpg downsized_0320041456.jpg downsized_0320041456a.jpg downsized_0320041506.jpg downsized_0320041612.jpg downsized_0320041846.jpg downsized_0320041926.jpg

kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  24. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

25. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Saw that advertised awhile back. Good for you for saving and bringing it back to a new life.
    Why anybody would want to put a hemi is a 34 is beyond me.

Attached Files:

26. racer756

racer756

27. Look'in good!

28. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

Wiked find! Looking forward to the progress!

29. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

[QUOTEIs this a keeper?[/QUOTE]

hahahahahahahahahahaha, sorry Jeff:D Looks good. Just how many keepers can you have?

30. titus

titus

hahahahahahahahahahaha, sorry Jeff:D Looks good. Just how many keepers can you have?[/QUOTE]

I can keep as many as i can try!

Got some more stuff done the other day, im not an aluminum welder...yet, so i had my buddy jake come over and weld a couple tabs on the bottom for mounting, so got that all mounted up and then went to the local parts store, who woulda figured they stocked radiator hoses for a 1934 ford coupe with a chrysler 331 hemi, but they did! my biggest pet peve is flex hoses, it really doesnt take that much time to look thru some hoses at the parts store to find some that will work. ive never put flex hoses on a car.
    so that was about it.

Also got some work done on my buddy Chads survivor 1934 ford truck, which is also being entered into GSTA car show in a couple weeks.

downsized_0321041610.jpg downsized_0321041609.jpg 10151892_824247644268420_269937189_n.jpg

kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.