Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Swedish Dry Lake Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.B., Feb 28, 2014.

1. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Go for the -32! :)

2. snot275

snot275

Im at the same point with my grill; can't decide on 29 or 32... The 29 looks a lot more "racey" to me, whereas the 32 is pretty much a good look no matter what... tough decision! Lucky for me, I'm a long way away from making that decision, haha. I'm sure it'll look good on your roadster no matter what you choose.

3. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I like the A grill more....
    Yep more race looking

4. great build so far

5. all the encouragement you need in one picture!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I know! That damn car is haunting me... :D

[​IMG]

7. just noticed its got a dropped axle but still sits pretty high, must be a high arched spring?

8. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Hard to say. :confused:

I just had to go for the -32 shell... It was the best looking for this project. :)
    Well, no time to waste! Time to start the hood build.

Started on the hood top and added more length.
    [​IMG]

Almost there
    [​IMG]

Some more cutting
    [​IMG]

Now we're getting somewhere. About 3 5/16" is added. Then it needs a little more gap in front.
    [​IMG]

The stock -28 hood sides is a bit low and also need lots of adding length which puts the louvers too far back to look good... It was also in a bit rough shape after 86 years.... :D
    [​IMG]

Hmmmm, I think I need new ones to make it look good. :eek:

9. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Made cardboard templates for the sides
    [​IMG]

Then Benny made these in sheet metal with creased(?) sides except the top
    [​IMG]

Took the stock -28 hinges from the old sides
    [​IMG]

Got them welded in
    [​IMG]

Then tried out where to have the original louvers
    [​IMG]

Had to cut and adjust the rear of the hood top too
    [​IMG]

Cut out to put in the louvers
    [​IMG]

Then formed the edges with this nice hand tool. Have no idea what's it called to do this in english... :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut off and welded in the original hood hinge retainer on the -32 shell
    [​IMG]

Rolled it out for some sun... but it's still c-o-l-d...:p
    [​IMG]

10. Great work JB....I prefer th 32 shell as well. Give the car a sleeker, more integrated style/look.

Keep going man !

11. olskool34

olskool34

I liked the A shell but you are doing the right thing. No love for the A shells anymore.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Well, love the A shell too. But the -32 fitted better this time, I thought. Of all the pics I have seen from back in the day (and that's a lot of pics), I think 90% of the A bodies ran a -32 shell. So it's not a new fad. And with a new hood and my old A shell, I can try that later. :)

13. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

Magic buildup and car mate.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think it only makes sense to run a '32 grille shell when running a v8 and using '32 rails. I would assume that's what most guys would have done. But then again if they were privy to aero design the A shell has less frontal area so maybe they would have used them?

15. Great build J.B. I love this style,probably my favorite look. Awesome thread ,so glad to see your engine choice but I wouldn't expect to see anything less from you.

16. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks for all your kind words, guys! And as you already know, Jeff. I have no other options than the correct type of engine for an era type of build. :)

I was also lucky to find an original spreader bar at the guy where I bought the front axle! That's nice stuff!
    [​IMG]

17. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

J.B. you do excellent job. almost as good as the Finns do ;)

Roadster looks very good

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks, man. My friend Benny is the one working hardest while we are in the garage. :) But lots of Finns are great craftsmen, so I don't dare you on that point.

Well, no time to waste. Seat and floor coming up!
    I had to get my father in law to spend an evening in my garage. He likes wood work and I need things to go fast. With two persons working and thinking, it is fast. I will leave out some stuff, because I don't have clue what's it called in English. But you'll see most of the stuff that was done. :D

Started with a nice chunk of wood to go at the bottom of the backrest
    [​IMG]

Then a bar for the upper part
    [​IMG]

P-O working away :p
    [​IMG]

Then the backrest was done with a bar to adjust the back against the upper body bar. If I want to change the angle when upholstered.
    [​IMG]

Time for the seat
    [​IMG]

And some inner structure plus a board to go over the front floor piece. Didn't have enough of the triangular pieces, so I need to do some more. I left about 3/8" around the edges for upholstery. Don't know if that is enough? :confused:
    [​IMG]

Then we also did a rear floor board. Only need to open up for the emergency brake and mill a little for the K-member centre.
    [​IMG]

I will do the front piece when all things are installed and the car is painted and pedals working etc.

The train kept-a-rollin'! :D

19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s a great roadster ! Only thing missing over here is a dry lake:)

20. pitman

pitman

Great looking Lakes Car J.B.!
    The details and pics tell the story, a whole lot of work to get this far.

21. Very inspirational mate. Keep it up!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. klazurfer

klazurfer

Nice Work JB ! Waay cool GoJob :) . Btw , How many 28/29s do you need ?

23. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks, buddy! Ha ha... well, I may swap the old -29 roadster for a 1930/31 coupe later on. Right now my hands are busy getting this heap on the road. :D

24. 117harv

117harv

This is the kind of stuff that brought me to the HAMB, we need many more threads like this one...great work, spot on from front to back.

25. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Great thread, keep it up...

26. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks!

Time for the rumble and lock!
    It was a trunk when I bought the car and I wanted a rumble. So, I bought the conversion kit and did that stuff, then the trunk was fixed up and back on the car. Then I noticed it wasn't a 1928/29 trunk lid. It was a 1930/31. Hmmm... ok... Adjusted it pretty good and it was time for the lock. There's a big difference between the locks on 1928729 and 1930/31 including where they are located. So, I had to get it right.

1928/29 has this type of lock at the front of the lid and it was visible in the crack between the body and lid.
    [​IMG]

The metal is lowered a bit and the bracket was all the way up against the body. Homemade bracket here
    [​IMG]

On 1930/31 the lock is sitting lower and a bit further back and the bracket is on the rain gutter instead. So, we needed to start by filling the rain gutter cut out
    [​IMG]

Then time for the lock. Since this lid was a trunk model, it has nothing more than a hole in the inner structure. Nothing more to go from.
    [​IMG]

So we drilled a hole
    [​IMG]

Then cut up for the lock
    [​IMG]

Some shops that sell locks don't make difference between a 1928/29 and 1930/31 rumble lock. but it is a big difference in the collar height
    [​IMG]

Well, time to put the lock in
    [​IMG]

And the bracket in place
    [​IMG]

Voilà!
    [​IMG]

Time to put on the door for the first time in a very long time. It needed a new pin for the upper hinge
    [​IMG]

Then some welding for the lock. It was a bit broken after only 86 years. Bad quality! :D Not the finished weld here
    [​IMG]

Mmm... nice to see it with a door after all this time. The other door is in pieces and no door skin yet
    [​IMG]

Then I took out the gas tank to clean it up inside a little. Very dry, nice and no rust. Just a few small pieces of straw was seen. I took a flexible claw and a small flashlight to try to reach them. Then I saw a straw that was stuck between the splash wall(don't know the word in english) and the tank wall. I tried to take the claw in another gap and reached out to grab behind the wall. Man! It was full of straws and old feathers and.... And I couldn't see it when looking down in the tank, since it was all behind the wall. After 2 hours of constant pulling and trying to get the damn dry sticks out of the it looked like this... :D Must have been a bird nest or something... Crazy!
    [​IMG]

And now we came up til today. Finally! I sanded the top of the tank to see how it was and it was only one layer of primer and one top coat. No filler or lead. Amazing! But there was a strange signature in the metal. :confused:
    [​IMG]

Well, more to come soon!

27. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

I take it that gonna run the stock gas tank? Are you going treat the inside of the tank at all? I have a rumble and wanted to keep it also. My tank seeps a little, not bad but still..

28. fonti

fonti

great work and a beautiful build!! congratulations...I like the stance very much!

29. Looking great your doing a good job will be watching.

30. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Well, tonight's been a day off with a couple of beers and I'll be right back at it tomorrow.

A month ago we recorded a new album with one of my my bands, Tennessee Drifters. We recorded 15 songs in 24 hours incl. a nice sleep plus two cases of beer, a quarter of whiskey and a bit of that gin. :D And we are just a trio with two guitars and a bass. Record release at Easter weekend. Couldn't spend too much time on that recording when I had a hot rod to build. ;)

First video from the album. More build pics after tomorrows efforts. :)
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5c5v02YoJkM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>