Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dual fuel tanks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Is anyone running two or more fuel tanks? How are they plumbed? How did you handle things like gauge senders, pickups, pumps, filler necks, etc.?

The Morris Minor might just have to go there.

2. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

We used two fuel tanks for a hot rod a short time ago which we built. Used one fuel pump and one fuel filter, placed after the 'Y' block, which attached both fuel tanks and a shut off valve was placed in line with each fuel tank. As you used the fuel out of one tank, you would switch over to the second tank, as we only placed a fuel gauge in one tank, a seperated filler was used for each tank.

There are electric solenoids for sale instead of using a manual valve which we used, (ie: dual saddle tanks on a model 'A' use an electric solenoid to switch between tanks, etc.).

Which ever method you choose, a valve should be placed in line with each tank.

Just an idea...

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Thanks Candy-Man.

Anyone running "sequential" tanks, i.e. fuel runs from one tank into the other?

4. stimpy

stimpy

used the workings from 1978 Chevy pick up truck , it uses a electric solinoid to control the flow and the switch has contacts for the fuel gauges on the backside , the only thing about it is if you pop the fuse for the solinoid it will pull off the tank you set up as the main ( ussually left) but read the other tank . thus you run out of fuel and the guage reads whats in the non main tank . ( had this happen a few times as it was connected to the brake light circuit .. ) and the parts are still available form outside souces too .

5. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

My '68 Ford F250 Camper Special has dual fuel tanks. They are both plumbed to a manual switch on the floor of the cab. Two lines in, one line out. If you could come up with one of those it should be easy.

6. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Do you really need to be able to switch tanks? If you're just looking for capacity in a cramped spot you could just tie together two tanks and use only the sender from one tank.. the gauge would just go down twice as slow. If you used a large hose to couple them say 1" or better, I bet you could get away with only having a filler neck on one tank... just make sure the secondary has a vent at the top to displace the air or it wont fill up. I only say use a large hose for the purpose of speed while filling up at a gas pump... of course a 3/8" line could fill the secondary... it would just take a while and the primary tank would probably overflow before the secondary was filled.

7. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I sold a few of these electric ones back in the day but never knew how they worked. Part number was FSV1, you can see a pic on the Kragen/Oreilly site. It has 3 ports and what looks to be a 1 wire hook up.

Never personally used one though.

8. As you probably know this was done in every XJ6. Tanks were filled separately, not at all linked - other than a change over valve system down the line. Earlier cars had a fuel pump to each tank and they worked as separate systems giving some redundancy. Not a bad thing really.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Sunbeam Alpines from the 60's had 1 tank on each side of the trunk with a big hose connecting them together. 1 gauge, one filler neck.

10. You didn't give details of the fuel system, but if your application requires a fuel return you'll want a 6 port valve to ensure the pressure relief tank return goes to the correct tank. Both GM and Ford utilized these as electrically activated valves beginning in the mid 80's, and still used terminals on the tank select switch to both change fuel supply and level gauge source. Install tank level sending units in each tank matching the gauge and all should be well. If you require high pressure in-tank fuel pumps you can enrgize or activate everything through properly sized interposing relays with a single pole tank select switch also.

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm familiar with the Jag tanks; doubtless a result, as you say, of having SU electric fuel pumps anyway. It is simplicity itself to switch electrically from one fuel pump to the other. It's a psychological thing on the Minor, though: having a separate filler neck, pump, etc. on tanks that hold barely more than 7 Imperial gallons each just seems to border on excessive.

Capacity in a cramped spot is exactly the issue. The limiting factor is to be able to link the tanks at the bottom level of at least the tank that is connected to the filler neck. I'm looking to have as much tank capacity as I can get, so both tanks would be equally as deep as I can make them.

The idea is for two new tanks under the rear seat, with the drive shaft and exhaust system running between them. I've got other uses in mind for the region where the stock tank is usually found. Yes, yes, drive shaft restraint - DeDion axle (already made up, ages ago) so there isn't a lot of movement to accommodate. Yes, yes, decent exhaust clearance; the system will in any event be wrapped/coated over its entire length.

I can't link across from the bottom of one tank to the other and retain decent exhaust clearance to the link pipe. Because the exhaust system is to kick up about level with the rear of the tanks I can have a loop behind the tanks. It still feels a bit vulnerable, though: I'd have to find a way to keep it from flopping about.

The fuel system I foresee isn't very complicated: two 1¾" SU carbs (HIF44s if I can find some - they were never on anything sold here) fed by one or more electric pumps (though not SU, as the last SU pump I had really needed some of the redundancy of which blackjack spoke!)

Edit: forgot about the Rover V8. Local SD1s had HIF6s.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014